Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
0.07 amps on a smack cell???
Malice 1 Offline

Sad 0.07 amps on a smack cell???
I just installed my smack cell. I built it to the EXACT specs that smack did, except I used a slightly longer PVC pipe, so the cell is about 14" in height.

I have it hooked up to a 12.7V power source (my car battery), and it's pulling 0.07 amps total. I'm using distilled water, and sodium hydroxide based drain cleaner. I poured in about 4tbsp worth, and the cell have about 1.5 liters of distilled water. The cell makes one tiny bubble of HHO every 10 seconds or so.

I checked my circuit, and it's good. I removed the plastic coating from my plates. They are sanded on the appropriate sides. I tested each pair of plates, and they have the appropriate continuities and breaks in the circuits.

I'm guessing my problem is chemical based, but I don't know. Any ideas?

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-29-2008 07:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: 0.07 amps on a smack cell???
You'll definitely want to get rid of that drain cleaner and use pure NaOH in the pellet form. Looks like that's your problem.
06-29-2008 07:51 AM
Malice 1 Offline

whoops. I found the problem.

I had a bad switch installed in my circuit, it had good voltage, but not current. Now the booster is bubbling away at 30 amps!!! I'd better drain it and reset it with alot less stuff.

My KoH will arrive this week, I'm just using the NaoH drain cleaner stuff to condition the cell.

33mpg & climbing
06-29-2008 08:12 AM
Gary Offline

Malice 1 Wrote:whoops. I found the problem.

I had a bad switch installed in my circuit, it had good voltage, but not current. Now the booster is bubbling away at 30 amps!!! I'd better drain it and reset it with alot less stuff.

My KoH will arrive this week, I'm just using the NaoH drain cleaner stuff to condition the cell.

I found that with the Smackers, just a teensy-weensy bit (that ain't much) of NAoH will create a lot of amps...and mine starts the drive as around 7-10 amps and goes up to about 25 in an hour, so set it hot.
06-29-2008 10:31 AM
Malice 1 Offline

Gary Wrote:
Malice 1 Wrote:whoops. I found the problem.

I found that with the Smackers, just a teensy-weensy bit (that ain't much) of NAoH will create a lot of amps...and mine starts the drive as around 7-10 amps and goes up to about 25 in an hour, so set it hot.

Yeah, I'm noticing that too. I started the conditioning process at 4.3amps, and after 2 hours it was up to 8.3. I'll be swapping in KoH as soon as I get it. I got a new switch wired into the circuit, so I can manually pulse the system every 10 minutes or so to keep it cool.

I'm about to start my first ever HHO test, on a 200mile drive. I'm pretty excited to see how well it does. I Held a lighter up to bubbler to see how "potent" the gas really is, and it blew a huge flame out of the tube, and imploded my bubbler. I was amazed.

33mpg & climbing
06-29-2008 11:46 AM