Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
00 Corolla MAF issues
00HHOCOROLLA Offline

00 Corolla MAF issues
I am tinkering with two generators on my 00 Corolla. I have not had any success with idling tests. If I adjust my MAF enhancer until the engine just starts to stumble then turn on my generators, I get no difference. My generators are outputting. I have tried both series and parallel circuits. I have even added two more generators (for a total of four). The results are the same. No changes at idle or running with the generators on or off. I tied my MAF enhancer into the green at the sensor. When I lean it out using the enhancer, the engine does see the change, it just does not recover when the generators are turned on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John
10-26-2008 05:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
daddymikey1975 Offline

RE: 00 Corolla MAF issues
have you measured the output of your gens?

I'd verify output in LPM first. If you have a usable amount of output then the MAF mod might not be the one for you car. Each install is vehicle dependent. a mod that works for one may not work for another.

If you still have no luck with the MAF enhancer, you might need to try o2 enhancers.

as a side note are you sure you're adjusting the MAF the correct way? (lean and not rich)

just my .02

mike
10-26-2008 05:29 AM
colchiro Offline

FWIW, most people don't have any improvement with the enhancers, but a few do.

Is your Corolla a 4 cyl? Small car, small engine, I would think 1 LPM should be plenty. Generally series wiring of your cells is better, if the plate configuration cooperates. How many plates do you have and how are they wired?

The ultimate control over your mixture still falls on the o2 sensor, which has seniority over the MAF and gets the last word. You didn't say if you were getting a CEL at any time (check engine light).

Toyota started converting to the newer o2 sensor, an air-fuel sensor about the same year your car was built so you could have either version. You might email Bruce for your wiring diagram and find out your o2 type: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2065

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-26-2008 06:33 AM
00HHOCOROLLA Offline

Quote:have you measured the output of your gens?

I'd verify output in LPM first. If you have a usable amount of output then the MAF mod might not be the one for you car. Each install is vehicle dependent. a mod that works for one may not work for another.

If you still have no luck with the MAF enhancer, you might need to try o2 enhancers.

as a side note are you sure you're adjusting the MAF the correct way? (lean and not rich)

Mike,

I have not verified the output in LPM, I have only verified that I do have output. Perhaps I might have to go with the o2 enhancers. I am using a pre built MAF enhancer and turning it in the direction of lean. When I turn it to lean, the engine responds as if it is going lean. That is, at idle it starts to run rough and lopey, at highway speeds it develops flat spots and has little power.
10-26-2008 08:40 PM
00HHOCOROLLA Offline

colchiro Wrote:FWIW, most people don't have any improvement with the enhancers, but a few do.

Is your Corolla a 4 cyl? Small car, small engine, I would think 1 LPM should be plenty. Generally series wiring of your cells is better, if the plate configuration cooperates. How many plates do you have and how are they wired?

The ultimate control over your mixture still falls on the o2 sensor, which has seniority over the MAF and gets the last word. You didn't say if you were getting a CEL at any time (check engine light).

Toyota started converting to the newer o2 sensor, an air-fuel sensor about the same year your car was built so you could have either version. You might email Bruce for your wiring diagram and find out your o2 type: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2065

Rick,

Yes it is a 4 cylinder. My generators are two stainless wire wrapped units and two of the very primative stainless bolted units. The wire wrapped ones put out much more. I decided to "test the water" of this technology before making a big investment in plated units.

I did/do get a CEL if I lean out the motor too much at idle and let it stall. Even with the MAF enhancer dialed lean to the point where the motor is missing at idle, turning on the generators has zero effect, or perhaps even a negative one due to the strain that they are putting on the alternator to produce.

Perhaps an o2 enhancer is the way to go for me.

Thanks
10-26-2008 08:52 PM
01olds Offline

HI in reguards to this thread...am retrying to set this car lean outs ...so they will give me as near stable results as possible with all the fuel trim censors mods set back.... so does the 02 censor with the EFIE have the final say as to the fuel trim..or what some think......and what can i get to better see how the combustain champer effiency.........
10-27-2008 05:50 AM
colchiro Offline

Hi Olds, long time no see.

Corolla, you need to see if you can wire those cells in series to make them more efficient. Assuming they have just 2 coils of wire or 2 bolts each, you should be able to hook all 4 in series (3 volts each) and that would make them more efficient and run cooler. You might need to increase the electrolyte concentration to get the right volume. Make sure you have an ammeter wired to keep your current under 15 amps hot.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-27-2008 07:48 PM
daddymikey1975 Offline

I would also measure output. you might not be getting enough HHO to make a difference.

do you get a CEL when your gens are on with the MAF enhancer turned off? do you notice any difference at all in performance? things to check also

mike
10-28-2008 02:51 AM
00HHOCOROLLA Offline

colchiro Wrote:Hi Olds, long time no see.

Corolla, you need to see if you can wire those cells in series to make them more efficient. Assuming they have just 2 coils of wire or 2 bolts each, you should be able to hook all 4 in series (3 volts each) and that would make them more efficient and run cooler. You might need to increase the electrolyte concentration to get the right volume. Make sure you have an ammeter wired to keep your current under 15 amps hot.

Rick,

I am hooked up in series now. I intend to do exactly what you have said and increase my electolyte to take advantage of the lower voltage (and lower operating temperature). I am using a 30 amp relay and a 15 amp fuse, so I will be below 15 amps for sure. I also intend on installing an ammeter.

Thanks
John
10-29-2008 05:27 PM
00HHOCOROLLA Offline

daddymikey1975 Wrote:I would also measure output. you might not be getting enough HHO to make a difference.

do you get a CEL when your gens are on with the MAF enhancer turned off? do you notice any difference at all in performance? things to check also

mike

Mike,

That is a good question. I do get a CEL with the gens off for sure. It occurs at the bottom of the lean range. The engine does not have to stall for the CEL to go on. I am going to try a test tomorrow. This morning a got a CEL with the gens off on a cold start about 1/2 a mile from home. I am going to turn the gens on and lean out my enhancer to about the same point, then turn off the gens and see if I get a CEL.

In answer to your question, I see ZERO difference at idle with the gens off or on. When I lean out the enhancer to the point where the engine stumbles with the gens off, I turn them on, wait several minutes and the engine is still stumbline the same way. On the road, the stumbling point or flat spots seem to occur at about the same point on the enhancer with the gens on or off.

Thanks
John
10-29-2008 05:36 PM