Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
01 ford escape help
hhodave Offline

01 ford escape help
Hi, have my dry cell installed on my 01 ford escape 3.0L v6 and making about 1-2Lpm and just installed my digital duel efie from fuel saver.org and adjusted to the directions at about 350mv and went for a 30 mile ride and loss mpg. So I tried to adjust it to where I was down to about 50mv and the engine started to stumble so i increased it to 90mv. Is this too lean? or should I keep it in the 150 and up range? thanks just trying to figure it out.
08-03-2009 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 01 ford escape help
Hi Dave.

I don't know where you got the idea to start at 350 mv, that's waaay too high. Most people don't run that high, let alone start there.

You should start around 100-150 and up it after at least a couple hundred miles in 50 mv increments. This isn't something you want to rush. You also don't want to make big changes, it confuses your engine.

You've gone too lean if:

there's no gain in mileage
loss of power
CEL or other driveability problem.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-03-2009 06:25 PM
hhodave Offline

(08-03-2009 06:25 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Hi Dave.

I don't know where you got the idea to start at 350 mv, that's waaay too high. Most people don't run that high, let alone start there.

You should start around 100-150 and up it after at least a couple hundred miles in 50 mv increments. This isn't something you want to rush. You also don't want to make big changes, it confuses your engine.

You've gone too lean if:

there's no gain in mileage
loss of power
CEL or other driveability problem.

I got the info off of the directions for the digital narrow band efie. that is what is required for my truck.
(After the startup delay, adjustment of the pot will change the voltage that you read at the test points from near 0 to 450 millivolts (0 - .45 volts). The range that you are interested in is about 150 to 350 millivolts. Start out at 350 millivolts, and with the engine running, turn the adjustment clockwise. As you turn the pot clockwise, the mix will get leaner as the voltage goes lower. At some point it may start lugging the engine. If this occures, then turn the pot back up 15 millivolts or so, until the engine is running smooth again.) Dave
08-03-2009 06:44 PM
colchiro Offline

Everyone has their own method for tuning. My recommendation is more conservative b/c I deal more with people who are having issues.

Sounds like the "quick and dirty" 350 mv didn't work so I would try 250 mv or fall back to the "trial and error method", either my method or the next paragraph down from the one you quoted. If you're seeing a drop in mileage that means too rich or too lean depending on your settings.

You don't want too lean... over the long term that will cause problems.

Signs you're too lean:

drop in mileage
loss of power
CEL or other issue

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2009 07:30 PM by colchiro.)
08-03-2009 07:29 PM
mike Offline

Sorry colchiro, but you missed the fact that he has a Digital EFIE. They tune in the opposite direction to analog EFIEs, so 350 is not very lean and 50mv is way too lean. See The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

hhodave: You started out correct at 350 mv. But it sounds like you've got it set too low now. 50 and 90 are way too low. I would try driving for a tankful at 250 or 300. See how you do for mileage. Then try another tankful at 50 mv lower. Lower means leaner, but only up to a point. If you go too far, the computer will think the sensor is damaged and go into open loop, and that means awful mileage. If you aren't getting excellent mileage by 200 mv, then you'd better check out HHO System Debug Checklist, and find out what's wrong.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-04-2009 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Sorry Mike. I didn't miss that it was digital, just didn't remember that they work backwards. (Heard or read it once, but it didn't stick.)

I guess you remember what you've used and I've got experience with the WB and NB efies, but not the digital.

Rick

08-04-2009 12:36 PM
mike Offline

No problem. Setting the new digital takes a bit to get your wits around. At least to understand what's going on. We're going to improve the controls so they are more like "Lean", "Leaner" and "Very Lean" as well. This is so it won't really matter what how well the person understands the device, they can still work with it.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-04-2009 02:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

... so there's hope for me yet? Wink

Rick

08-04-2009 03:26 PM
hhodave Offline

(08-04-2009 08:36 AM)mike Wrote:  Sorry colchiro, but you missed the fact that he has a Digital EFIE. They tune in the opposite direction to analog EFIEs, so 350 is not very lean and 50mv is way too lean. See The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

hhodave: You started out correct at 350 mv. But it sounds like you've got it set too low now. 50 and 90 are way too low. I would try driving for a tankful at 250 or 300. See how you do for mileage. Then try another tankful at 50 mv lower. Lower means leaner, but only up to a point. If you go too far, the computer will think the sensor is damaged and go into open loop, and that means awful mileage. If you aren't getting excellent mileage by 200 mv, then you'd better check out HHO System Debug Checklist, and find out what's wrong.
Hi Mike, that's what I was thinking. I would do a 40 mile run and top off and record the mileage but probably need to do an entire tank then go from there. I will set it at 250 and go from there. Also each time I adjust it do i need to reset the computer? no check engine light's but not sure if it is in closed loop or open after my adjustment thanks again. Dave
08-04-2009 03:48 PM
colchiro Offline

I wouldn't touch the computer.

Each time you do that it takes days for it to recover. You're making relatively minor changes after the initial install so no reason to clear it.

Rick

08-04-2009 04:22 PM