Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01 intrepid hho intake
irishmick22 Offline

01 intrepid hho intake
I built a smallish hho cell but I probably should have looked at the location of my IAT sensor first. Off of the air intake there is a Y, my IAT sensor is located almost exactly half way down the driver side of the Y. I've read somewhere that the introduction of hho must be after the IAT sensor as the filament could ignite the gas prior to introduction to the engine.

So in this situation what would you do? Feed the hho only to the passenger side of the engine? I don't see how I could introduce it to the drivers side without having the gas go by the IAT sensor.
Thanks for any advice or thoughts.
07-18-2008 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baracuda Offline

RE: 01 intrepid hho intake
Double check what you read.....I think you have the IAT confused with the MAF

You can't skin a fish before you catch it !
07-18-2008 04:00 PM
irishmick22 Offline

baracuda Wrote:Double check what you read.....I think you have the IAT confused with the MAF

Seriously? lol thanks I better double check it ;o)
07-18-2008 05:02 PM
baracuda Offline

Yeah seriously,

The MAF uses electric current to heat an element and maintain it at a predetermined temperature. As intake air passes across or through the MAF it cools the element. The computer measures the additional electric current needed to maintain the temperature on the element. It then calculates how much air has passed across the element. By comparing the initial current usage against the modified or additional current used.

The IAT is basically a thermometer which measures the intake air itemperature.

The reason people are leary of introducing HHO prior to the MAF is; The possibility of the element being hot enough to ignite the gas. I don't think you have to worry about the IAT as an ignition source.

This is simply my opinion. I advise you to do a few searches for IAT and/or MAF find out exactly how they work and what they are used for. Once you have a confident understanding of how these sensors work.......go from there.

Best of luck to ya....

You can't skin a fish before you catch it !
07-18-2008 07:44 PM
irishmick22 Offline

Thanks Baracuda. I did re-read the info I had read before and you are entirely correct it was the MAF rather than the IAT. Which is behind the Y in my intake so problem solved. ;o)
Thanks again.
Ryan
07-19-2008 06:32 AM