Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02 sensors
Chris999 Offline

02 sensors
Im trying to find out if my UK year 2000 Honda Accord 2ltr -v-tec has a wideband or narrowband upstream sensor. The rear sensor is at the back of the cat so I take that to be a narrow band sensor. I am new to all this and have a couple basic questions. The upstream sensor has four wires, two black and a green and a white one. I take the black ones to be the heater wires as they are slightly larger in diameter the other side of the plug socket. I have put the meter across the green and white wire and get a floating reading of around 302 mv. So from this I think it is a wide band sensor the .3v being the product of the voltages in the pump wires. Is it ok to put the green and wires to ground through the meter. If it is would I expect to get say 2.7v from one and say approx 3v from the other as this would be the definitive check. Does all this sound right to you. I have a workshop manual on order to further check the wiring.
Any help will be appreciated Chris.
10-15-2010 06:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 02 sensors
(10-15-2010 06:06 AM)Chris999 Wrote:  Im trying to find out if my UK year 2000 Honda Accord 2ltr -v-tec has a wideband or narrowband upstream sensor. The rear sensor is at the back of the cat so I take that to be a narrow band sensor.
Yes, that's correct. All downstream sensors, that we have seen to date, are narrow band.
Chris999 Wrote:I am new to all this and have a couple basic questions. The upstream sensor has four wires, two black and a green and a white one. I take the black ones to be the heater wires as they are slightly larger in diameter the other side of the plug socket. I have put the meter across the green and white wire and get a floating reading of around 302 mv. So from this I think it is a wide band sensor the .3v being the product of the voltages in the pump wires. Is it ok to put the green and wires to ground through the meter. If it is would I expect to get say 2.7v from one and say approx 3v from the other as this would be the definitive check. Does all this sound right to you. I have a workshop manual on order to further check the wiring.
Any help will be appreciated Chris.

Yes, it's ok to measure those wires to ground. That won't hurt anything at all. They won't even know the difference :-)

Its important to make that measurement. The U.S. Accords changed over to wide bands in 2001. Yours could easily be either way. Measuring those wires to ground will tell you. If they are over 2 volts, it's wide band. If one of those wires is ground, and the other is fluctuating from 0 to 1 volt, then you have a narrow band sensor.

However, when you measured across the 2 signal wires and saw .3 volts, if it's a narrow band sensor, you would have been seeing the signal. With the engine running, that voltage should be changing from .2 to .8 volts or so, several times per second.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-15-2010 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply