Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04 Avalanche with Dry Cell
Blader Offline

04 Avalanche with Dry Cell
Hi all im new to the site. Just looking for some help with my setup I currently have installed a 21 6X6 316L stainless steel Plate Dry Cell with a bubbler tank and a secondary bubbler with a check valve connected ahead of my MAF sensor. Im running 2 tablespoons of KOH and about 4.5 liters of deionized water. It cranks out about 2.5-3 LPM of gas @ about 58 Amps. I also installed a 145amp alternator, all in my 04 Avalanche with a 5.3 liter engine. I tried to install a map sensor controller but Im not having that much luck with it. I found what appears to be sweet spots on both city and hwy but if I switch the city/highway sw to city the engine starts to die out. I have to flip it back to hwy to keep truck running. Im seeing some varying results which mpgs sometimes are as high as 27 Hwy mpg to about 23 mpg and some crazy city mpgs of 31 mpg. I think that a) I know Im running too many amps and maybe too much gas is going in?b) Im thinking that wow that V8 needs all the fuel it can get.But Ive read a few reports that say you only need a 1/4 of a liter of gas per liter of engine? Also Ive read a liter of gas per liter of engine? Im also thinking now more as Im going to have put in a automatic efie controller for my O2 sensors,since I have 4 of the damm things. I also read that you only have to worry about the O2 sensors before the CAT and not the ones after it. What should I do thanks for any help
09-17-2009 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blader Offline

RE: 04 Avalanche with Dry Cell
Well reading up some more Ive found out that not only do I need the map sensor controller but I need to install some 02 sensor extenders. I have checked my and they are 4 wire heated type. I found out that you can use a sparkplug fouler and just drill the hole out to a 1/2" in order to facilatate the 02 sensor. They also say that u need not worry about the 02 sensors aft Cat but I read that thats not entirely true they play a vital role too. I hooked up my laptop and elm 327 and Im watching the voltages outputs from all 4 since thats how many I have.. So I also read that the efie controller is too difficult to fine tune it and that you would almost have to play with it all the time to get good results. The 02 extenders is the easier way to go,but you cant lean it out too much so its trial + error again and I will pull a spark plug out and check the heat on them just to keep a eye out for excessive heat.
09-19-2009 04:40 AM
Blader Offline

Update I tried to remove 02 sensor by the cat and wow its really in there without risking breaking it I gave up for now. Need to put a box end wrench on it since I was trying a 21mm wrench and it didnt fit so I used a 22mm and seemed like there was a little too much play. Havent had the time to go look at another store for a sparkplug fouler the one store I did look in didnt have the size I needed.Havent tried since maybe this weekend.
09-25-2009 08:57 AM
colchiro Offline

Hi Blader.

I doubt you'll have much luck with the extenders, they don't work for most people. If you want to get serious about this, you'll need an efie, which will provide much better control than the MAP mod.

If you click my "documents" link, there's a sensor request form that you can use to find out if you'd need the digital or wideband efie and if the post-cat sensors also need to be treated.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
09-25-2009 09:31 AM
diablo8109 Offline

hello
that is one big cell that you made. that is a lot of amps like you said you should cut that in half at least. there is to much heat with that many amps and you are going to loss some gains from you cell to run that big alternator. The alternator can handle the load but it takes alot to turn it with that load on it. Like colchiro said I would use a efie from this site. they work great. I would try the efie without the MAP enhancer then see if you can get alittle more mpg with the map enhancer working also. as far as city and high setting on the map enhancer. I would set one that works for both city and highway. that way you do not have to switch back and forth. the reason your vehicle stops running when you which it back and forth is you are lossing the signial to the computer for the map sensor. Every time to switch it from city to highway. I found instead of think of the two settings as city and highway . think of one setting as normal and test instead. set normal so the engine runs at all drive speeds and uses. then use the test side to test leaner and richer setting to get better mpg. then you are not testing use normal for driving very day.

Larry
Cutting Edge Water4Gas
10-05-2009 12:08 PM