Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1.9 dti diesel. Slightly improved economy... Problem solved.
Mika Offline

1.9 dti diesel. Slightly improved economy... Problem solved.
Hi everyone.

I have installed dry hho cell system into my father's van, Opel Vivaro -02 1.9 dti common rail turbo diesel. Before installation the fuel consumption was 8 liters / 100km, now about 7 liters.

Only I've got a little problem. The low rpm torque has disappeard, nothing happens under ~1700 rpm, so pretty hard to push off. Any suggestions why? The van runs smoothly and powerfully over 1700 rpm. I've cleaned the egr valve and don't think it could be the reason. Some sensor might be broken? Or has ecu mapped itself too lean at low rpm?

If anyone of you has similar problems on turbo diesels, please answer.

E: broken maf sensor. Don't add hho through hot film or -wire maf sensor.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2008 11:58 AM by Mika.)
10-31-2008 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Slighly improved economy... but...
Like most people here, I don't have much experience with diesel, but I suspect something in the installation process is causing your problem.

Where are you adding your hho to your engine? What else have you changed? We need a lot more info than you're providing.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-31-2008 07:29 AM
Mika Offline

Hho is added between air flow sensor and turbo's vacuum side. I have changed nothing else, as i suppose diesel tunes itself automatically to hho because it's not tied on lambda 1.

The cell's production is about 1 lpm at little bit over 10 amps. I have an integrated bubbler and reservoir. no vacuum leaks at the cell, bubbler or at the intake tube it's placed. Actually it was originally placed on air filter box and did the same thing, so I thought it disturbed the air flow sensor and placed at turbo's vacuum tube on the other side of maf sensor. Still same problem, so leaks cannot be the reason.
10-31-2008 07:39 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

Mika Wrote:Hi everyone.

I have installed dry hho cell system into my father's van, Opel Vivaro -02 1.9 cdti common rail turbo diesel. Before installation the fuel consumption was 8 liters / 100km, now about 7 liters.

Only I've got a little problem. The low rpm torque has disappeard, nothing happens under ~1700 rpm, so pretty hard to push off. Any suggestions why? The van runs smoothly and powerfully over 1700 rpm. I've cleaned the egr valve and don't think it could be the reason. Some sensor might be broken? Or has ecu mapped itself too lean at low rpm?

If anyone of you has similar problems on turbo diesels, please answer.

Where is your gas hose installed? How much gas does your gen. put out and at what amp? What size gen. is it?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2008 07:42 AM by hydrotinkerer.)
10-31-2008 07:41 AM
Mika Offline

4' x 4' dry cell, 15 plates, 6 neutrals on both sides. Output around 1 lpm at little bit over 10 amps.
11-01-2008 03:03 AM
colchiro Offline

So if it is truly a hho problem, the low torque issue should go away if you turn off your cell. Does it?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-01-2008 07:08 AM
Mika Offline

Not totally, but I think low rpm torque is a bit better when the cell is off.
11-01-2008 10:07 AM
colchiro Offline

I'd leave the hho disconnected until you can restore the low-end torque. Sounds like something happened during the install.

Loss of low-end sounds like a vacuum leak to me, but like I said, I'm not that familiar with diesels.

Rick

11-01-2008 10:18 AM
Mika Offline

RE: Slightly improved economy... but...
No leaks, but a new problem: the engine doesn't like to stay running when started cold. It starts good and stays running for about one second, then shuts off. This happened right after I cleaned my system and changed my electrolyte mix from NaOH to KOH. Personally I think that was just a coincidence, but don't know for sure.
11-18-2008 12:02 PM
ptours99 Offline

RE: Slightly improved economy... but...
Mika Wrote:No leaks, but a new problem: the engine doesn't like to stay running when started cold. It starts good and stays running for about one second, then shuts off. This happened right after I cleaned my system and changed my electrolyte mix from NaOH to KOH. Personally I think that was just a coincidence, but don't know for sure.

have you changed the fuel filter lately that will cause a diesel to loose power at low speed,or it may be loose.also,if in the U.S going tween ulsd and low sulphur fuel can cause you these types of problems,stick w/ one type of fuel.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
11-18-2008 12:58 PM