Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10 Ohm Resistor
Jeephigh_11 Offline

Exclamation 10 Ohm Resistor
So I tried using the 10 Ohm resistor inline with with the O2 sensor output for about 350 Miles, because I have an AFR sensor, I'm convinced that MY AFR sensor works very differently than most because I got negative results. After the 350 Mile test City/Highway, I had my worst MPG's (27.9) thus far with the 13,000 Miles I've put on her.

A little background on my rig;

2007 Jeep Patriot, 2.4L 5 Speed, 4x4
Mods: Fuel Warmer from brightgreen.us, Acetone/Xylene mixture every fill up, Custom Warm Air intake w/K&N filter.

Today, 80 Miles round trip, No wind, 66 Degrees F, Flat Terrain, 1:00 PM

To destination - 28.8 MPG w/Resistor,
From destination - 35.5 MPG w/o Resistor
All data was 95% Highway

I've done this trip a 100 times and never got better and worse mileage readings yet. For me, the Resistors aren't going to work.

Any ideas on how to mod my O2 sensor, or should I just be happy with 35.5 MPG and shut up. I only ask because I just finished my Smack Booster and plan on running her. Any ideas Fella's?
05-04-2008 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 10 Ohm Resistor
You could use a couple oxygen sensor extenders and use the MAF/MAP sensor to adjust the mixture, if you need more.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-04-2008 06:19 PM
Jeephigh_11 Offline

I'll look into that once I hook up the HHO, maybe I won't have to do anything.................. yeah right
05-05-2008 05:21 AM
Glennjr Offline

Hello,
It looks like it didn't like what you did. You might want to get some base line readings. I presume the mileage drop came after you installed the resistor ?? What I would do is take out the resistor and use a scan tool and get some data ie: IPW(injector pulse width), O2voltage (on all of the sensors), and map voltage. Then hook up the resistor and check the numbers again. I'll bet you find the IPW a larger #. Larger # means more fuel. Also some of these newer vehicles use the post O2sensor (after the converter) readings to adjust fuel mixture. When they see an abnormal reading they presume the front O2 sensor may be not be reading correctly. You might want to look at loop status after you install the resistor, it may be going into open loop and using default parameters for fuel ratio and I can assure you this is not for fuel economy. Maybe look and see if there are any pending codes waiting to pop in. Most everything is drive cycle related in OBD ECM's and if you didn't complete the required drive cycles with the problem it won't set a code, but it should be in the pending section. I can't find a wiring diagram to see if maybe they have combined some of this data.
Good luck,
Glenn Jr.
05-05-2008 06:43 AM
Jeephigh_11 Offline

I've got all the data from the ScanGaugeII including the Short Term Fuel Trim and the Long Term Fuel Trim. Usually when I run the rig I go with upstream O2 sensor, Short and Long Fuel Trim, and MPG or Gallons Per Hour. I'm starting to see a pattern with the read outs. The compuetr controls the fuel time when the O2 sensor reading goes above 50 and below 50. Most of the time the numbers are 77 then a few milliseconds later it'll shoot down to 18, then back up again until it gets as close to 50 as possible, which never happens. The down stream O2 sensor rarely fluctuates more then 7 or 8 +/- from 50, but the long term fuel trim also doesn't move a whole lot from 0, maybe +/- 2 to 4 from zero.

My guess is that zero is 14.2:1, which is where the computer wants to be. I noticed the car felt a bit more sluggish the whole time the resistor was on, but the car never ran in open loop mode for any odd reason, just when you romp on it or when your start the car.

I don't know what to do with these sensors, for now I'll leave them be, but I really wish I could manipulate them so i could get the full advantage out of my HHO generator which I'll be putting on tomorrow.

Is it normal for the - side of the HHO generator to get hotter than the + side? Is 750 ml of HHO gas on one teaspoon of KOH a good start?
05-05-2008 06:30 PM
colchiro Offline

Why don't you use a variable resistor (potentiometer) and run that inside your vehicle. details here Then you can increase the resistance when you want economy and decrease it when you need a little more pep.

How did you get trim on your SG, xgauge?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2008 06:51 PM by colchiro.)
05-05-2008 06:49 PM
Jeephigh_11 Offline

That's my next try, and I'm wondering if I need to also hook up the pot to the down steam O2 sensor as well? Hope not. Couldn't you also hook up the pot to the MAP, IAT to adjust the variable current and then once you've found the sweet spot hook up a resistor for the right Ohm setting.

Does changing the IAT to a higher value affect the way the computer controls fuel trim. Doesn't a resistor make the signal weaker/slower, bringing the signal down? Just a little confused.
05-06-2008 04:51 AM
colchiro Offline

You could put a pot on all the sensors that can be tweaked with a resistor, but they're all going to be different values. Unless you're not sure what value to use, I'd just use one for the important ones, MAP/MAF and O2. The temp sensors you want to read about 10 deg higher than previous.

Don't touch the downstream o2 sensors. They just report if the cat is working.

How the sensors function is described in the Tuning for Mileage document.

Rick

05-06-2008 02:28 PM
rpatzer Offline

Jeephigh- you don't want to use any resistors. They work the opposite of what an EFIE does. They lower the voltage being sent to the ECU. That means the sensor reads lean, therefore the ECU will "richen" the mix.
Here is a site where Harley Davidson does just that for more power. Their AFR drops down to 14.3, giving them more power.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd200...divide.htm
You need to add voltage to the sensor sending a higher/richer signal to the ECU, telling the ECU to "lean" out the mix.
05-13-2008 11:51 AM
jksav7 Offline

I've often heard that the - side heats up more. I think if everything's done right there shouldn't be much heating of the connections due to resistance.

My + terminal gets reallly hot, but that's because the electrodes are really hot (poor cell efficiency). (Note to self: I wonder why the - on my cell doesn't get hot?)

When I touch the other end of the positive wire attached at the relay it's not hot at all.

Anyway, .75 LPM, which is what I assume you meant, is okay, but at what amperage? If it's over ten amps then it's probably not efficient enough to really give you the boost you're looking for.

Jeephigh_11 Wrote:Is it normal for the - side of the HHO generator to get hotter than the + side? Is 750 ml of HHO gas on one teaspoon of KOH a good start?
05-13-2008 12:36 PM