Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12 volt power connection of EFIE
keenman11 Offline

12 volt power connection of EFIE
Mike,
I ordered a duel EFIE last night. In preparation I checked my oxygen sensor & it has 4 wires. I found which one is the signal wire, so I am ready with which one to cut. I only have one O2 sensor. To connect the power for the EFIE, why not just splice into the two wires that give you 12 volts right there instead of searching all over the engine compartment for a switched power line? Mine only reads 11.78 volts right there. Since it only takes .100 to .500 mv a size 18 wire should be plenty to carry this? Am I missing something here with the EFIE hook-up?
02-03-2008 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 12 volt power connection of EFIE
keenman11 Wrote: Mike,
I ordered a duel EFIE last night. In preparation I checked my oxygen sensor & it has 4 wires. I found which one is the signal wire, so I am ready with which one to cut. I only have one O2 sensor. To connect the power for the EFIE, why not just splice into the two wires that give you 12 volts right there instead of searching all over the engine compartment for a switched power line? Mine only reads 11.78 volts right there. Since it only takes .100 to .500 mv a size 18 wire should be plenty to carry this? Am I missing something here with the EFIE hook-up?

No, you're not missing anything. That should work fine. Your EFIE will draw about 30 milliamps, which is nothing. 11.78 volts is cutting it kinda close, but I use a 9 volt voltage regulator which, with a 2 volt drop, is still sufficient. Further, I'm guessing you measured the voltage with the engine not running, and you probably have closer to 13 volts when the alternator is running.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-03-2008 07:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
keenman11 Offline

Your right Mike, I did check the voltage with the engine off, ignition on. I had the Ozygen sensor unpluged looking for the two wire combination that were 12 volts for the heater wires. So I can hook my EFIE power to the Oxygen sensor wires cut the signal wire and hook to each side of it, and not hook anything to the Oxygen sensor signal ground? Is this all correct? I'm going to mount my EFIE inside the car since NorthWestern Pennsylvania gets cold from Nov. to April.Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2008 04:55 AM by keenman11.)
02-04-2008 04:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Yes, everything you say is correct. You might as well use one of the ground wires for your EFIE ground as well, if it makes life easier.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-04-2008 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply