Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13 volts after turning the EFIE on.
EFIE-USR Offline

13 volts after turning the EFIE on.
Hi,
Just installed my EFIE on my 1991 Toyota truck. (Single EFIE Deluxe). I saw the changes in the voltage before I installed it they were from .2 .4 .6 .8 volts (or around there) always changing.

The one lead was 3 volts (that’s the one I hooked up to). Another was 12 volts; the last two had no voltage.

I installed the unit down at the sensor under the truck and pulled two wires from under the hood one for a ground and the 12 volts to power the unit.
---------------------------
After I hooked up the EFIE:
the white lead reads .713
the green .464
The hot reads 13.8,
the ground 0 (readings were taken at the sensor under the truck).

But when I turn the EFIE ON there is a steady 13.61 volts at the white lead. The green lead reads .7 (readings were taken under the truck.)
---------------------------
Readings taken from the EFIE unit in the cab: OFF 115 to 120 m v but when I turn the unit on the voltage is 13.61 volts. I am not using the EFIE I leave it off.

I am getting a small highway mileage increase.
I don’t know what my mileage is in town. Hydrogen is always on.

Whats wrong? The voltage at the EFIE should not be that high.
05-20-2009 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 13 volts after turning the EFIE on.
Hi efie.

I assume this is the regular efie, probably the basic model, one of these?

[Image: analog_lineup.jpg]

I don't understand how you can measure a wire with .2-.8 vdc and connect to one with 3 volts. Hopefully that's a typo.

OTOH...

EFIE-USR Wrote:After I hooked up the EFIE:
the green .464
The hot reads 13.8,
the ground 0 (readings were taken at the sensor under the truck)

How was this measured? If it was with the efie turned off, the green and white wires should have the same voltage since there's a relay connecting the green and white wires with the efie turned off.

Have you tried turning the efie adjustment all the way counter-CW until it (faintly) clicks? That would set it at the minimal level.

If this doesn't help, there's a simple test to see if your efie is working as it should.

a. Disconnect the green and white wires and connect your DC voltmeter across the leads.
b. Turn on the efie. The engine does not need to run.
c. The meter should slowly climb for after about 5 minutes then stabilize. With the efie turned all the way CCW (minimum setting), it should read somewhere in the vicinity of about .050 vdc.
d. Turning the control CW, the voltage should increase (with a short delay). After about 20 turns, the control again should click, indicating it's reached the end of travel and max out around .450 vdc (or 450 mv dc). It's not necessary to test this, just that the voltage does increase after a 5-10 turns and be stable.
e. If this is what you see, your efie is functional. You shouldn't see more than about half a volt across the two wires. If you see more than that, there's a problem with the unit.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2009 06:18 PM by colchiro.)
05-20-2009 06:15 PM
mike Offline

Hi EFIE-USR,

You can do the things colchiro suggests to test the EFIE. But, I'm sorry to say, I'm pretty sure you have made a mistake on your installation.

There are some discrepancies in your data:

Quote:After I hooked up the EFIE:
the green .464
The hot reads 13.8,
the ground 0 (readings were taken at the sensor under the truck).

But when I turn the EFIE ON there is a steady 13.61 volts at the white lead. The green lead reads .7 (readings were taken under the truck.)

Your first readings are correct if the EFIE is turned on. It would show a higher voltage on the white wire than the green wire of about 250 millivolts (.25 volt). This is expected.

But then you say you saw .7 on the green and 13 volts on the white wire. If you saw this, something is hooked up wrong. The EFIE is incapable of putting 13 volts on the white wire.

You need to go back to the wiring diagram, find your signal wire (and test it per the instructions), and get the EFIE hooked up properly.

If you think it's hooked up right, then do colchiros test to see if the EFIE is working. I think you'll find that it is. Then, you'll need to find out where your installation deviates from the instructions and get that fixed.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-21-2009 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EFIE-USR Offline

Thanks for your reply. I have not been able to get to this as quickly as I'd like here are my readings.

The EFIE is hooked up correctly.

I want to reconnect the EFIE from under the hood as soon as I can locate the correct wire going to the computer from the wire harness.

Under the truck at the O2 sensor I connected with bullet connectors and wanted to cut into as few wires as possible. That is why I pulled two wires from under the hood to be sure I had a solid 12 volts and a good ground that went directly to the battery I used #10 stranded wire.

Since the O2 sensor wires were connected with bullet connectors it was simple for me to disconnect them and get a reading. After turning the EFIE control all the way CCW until I heard one click the reading I got after 5 min was .030.

I have rechecked my wires. The wires to the O2 sensor are connected in such a way that they cannot be reversed.

I have your Single EFIE Deluxe

1) White is connected to the EFIE
2) Green to the O2 sensor
3) The RED or hot is a red #10 wire pulled from under the hood connected to a 30 Amp relay switch
4) The ground is connected to a black #10 wire that is connected directly to the battery.

All wires were made using connectors, as I wanted to relocate the EFIE at a later date, and wanted to cut into as few wires as possible.

Thanks for your help.
06-01-2009 11:57 AM
Jeep Girl Offline

(06-01-2009 11:57 AM)EFIE-USR Wrote:  Thanks for your reply. I have not been able to get to this as quickly as I'd like here are my readings.

The EFIE is hooked up correctly.

I want to reconnect the EFIE from under the hood as soon as I can locate the correct wire going to the computer from the wire harness.

Under the truck at the O2 sensor I connected with bullet connectors and wanted to cut into as few wires as possible. That is why I pulled two wires from under the hood to be sure I had a solid 12 volts and a good ground that went directly to the battery I used #10 stranded wire.

Since the O2 sensor wires were connected with bullet connectors it was simple for me to disconnect them and get a reading. After turning the EFIE control all the way CCW until I heard one click the reading I got after 5 min was .030.

I have rechecked my wires. The wires to the O2 sensor are connected in such a way that they cannot be reversed.

I have your Single EFIE Deluxe

1) White is connected to the EFIE
2) Green to the O2 sensor
3) The RED or hot is a red #10 wire pulled from under the hood connected to a 30 Amp relay switch
4) The ground is connected to a black #10 wire that is connected directly to the battery.

All wires were made using connectors, as I wanted to relocate the EFIE at a later date, and wanted to cut into as few wires as possible.

Thanks for your help.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to connect a ground directly to the battery because it can cause abnormal fluctuations in the voltage. I think it should be connected to one of the ground screws attached to the vehicle's body.
Jeep Girl
06-01-2009 03:03 PM
colchiro Offline

I'll leave this to Mike, but I believe on the Chrysler's with the 2.5 volt o2's, I believe the efie was grounded to the signal low wire on the sensor.

Not much current is running thru the efie so that #10 wire could have been much smaller, like easily as low as #18.

I assume you mean 1) white is connected to the ECU.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2009 03:40 PM by colchiro.)
06-01-2009 03:37 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

(06-01-2009 03:37 PM)colchiro Wrote:  I'll leave this to Mike, but I believe on the Chrysler's with the 2.5 volt o2's, I believe the efie was grounded to the signal low wire on the sensor.

Not much current is running thru the efie so that #10 wire could have been much smaller, like easily as low as #18.

I assume you mean 1) white is connected to the ECU.

Maybe we need a new thread on how to wire the Chryslers then, because I have the green & white wires on the signal wire, the red on a fuse which is only hot when the engine is on, and the black to a ground screw on the body.
Pam
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2009 04:21 PM by Jeep Girl.)
06-01-2009 04:20 PM
mike Offline

Hi Guys,

Here's the definitive answer on grounding your EFIE:

For all EFIE types EXCEPT digital types. You can ground anywhere. The ground doesn't have to be perfect and grounding to the body is fine.

With Digital EFIEs, you can also ground anywhere, but with the Dodge's that have the 2.5 volt signal low, you have to use the signal low for ground. This is the only time that you have to use the sensor's ground to ground your EFIE. So if the sensor's "ground" is 2.5 volts, then the EFIE must be grounded at the sensor's ground. You may think that this will cause the EFIE to have a lower input voltage (by 2.5 volts), and you're right. But its been designed to work correctly despite the input voltage being lower.

By the way the digital EFIEs work, they need to have the same ground reference as the signal wire.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-06-2009 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeep Girl Offline

(06-06-2009 03:21 PM)mike Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Here's the definitive answer on grounding your EFIE:

For all EFIE types EXCEPT digital types. You can ground anywhere. The ground doesn't have to be perfect and grounding to the body is fine.

With Digital EFIEs, you can also ground anywhere, but with the Dodge's that have the 2.5 volt signal low, you have to use the signal low for ground. This is the only time that you have to use the sensor's ground to ground your EFIE. So if the sensor's "ground" is 2.5 volts, then the EFIE must be grounded at the sensor's ground. You may think that this will cause the EFIE to have a lower input voltage (by 2.5 volts), and you're right. But its been designed to work correctly despite the input voltage being lower.

By the way the digital EFIEs work, they need to have the same ground reference as the signal wire.

Thanks Mike,
So if we have the old style Eagle EFIEs even for the Dodges we can use a regular ground, not the sensor's ground? Or do I need to get the new digital ones for front and rear sensors? I am still having trouble with lean codes on the rears, no matter if they are set lower, the same, or higher than the front ones.
Pam
06-06-2009 03:30 PM
mike Offline

(06-06-2009 03:30 PM)Jeep Girl Wrote:  Thanks Mike,
So if we have the old style Eagle EFIEs even for the Dodges we can use a regular ground, not the sensor's ground? Or do I need to get the new digital ones for front and rear sensors? I am still having trouble with lean codes on the rears, no matter if they are set lower, the same, or higher than the front ones.
Pam

Hmmm. There's no question that our Digital EFIEs are superior. But the Eagle type EFIEs should still be working. With Jeeps you have to treat the down stream sensors, but you should be able to find a combination of settings that works. Have you looked at my debug checklist? HHO System Debug Checklist

If the items on the checklist are all in, then I would go ahead and try a Digital. But my concern is that there is something else wrong causing the check engine light, and the Digital EFIE is not a cure-all. It just works better than previous EFIEs. We have found that it will lean out vehicles that would not respond to other types of EFIEs. But its just not a cure-all.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-08-2009 09:34 AM