Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1985 Ford E350 Results--So Far
KentsoldFord Offline

Rolleyes 1985 Ford E350 Results--So Far
Been lurking around for awhile, I am sure glad you folks are here. I hope to have all of my vehicles converted eventually, anyway on with the story. I started with the easiest vehicle, using the only set up I could find info on, Water4gas. I installed 1 cell along with the charged water jar in a 85 Ford E350 with a 351 v8 4 barrel carb. Being a 1ton van, actually, a class C motor home, there is very little emissions equipment to deal with. I tuned it up with the usual, plus a new carb.The base line mpg was 7.2mpg at 55mph on the interstate, from 5 tanks of gas. Best 7.4 coasting down hill!! After the install I drove for about 25 miles, only change was alittle quieter idle. The next day left for a 1400 mile trip. First tank 8.6 mpg, each tank after continued to get better, after 450-500 miles it peaked out at 12.97mpg!! Average mpg after first 500 miles for remainder of trip was was 12.05 mpg. I made no changes to the system on the trip, just interesting it took that many miles to reach best mileage. The motor purrs like a kitten at idle now. For a vehicle weighing 10700lbs and having the aerodynamics of Mt. Rushmore(queen size bed over the cab) I am pleased with the results-so far. 15mpg average would be nice though!
06-15-2008 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dino Offline

RE: 1985 Ford E350 Results--So Far
That's a nice gain, I think you could do even better with more HHO gas for that beast. Maybe add another in series
06-15-2008 03:32 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

Which way do you inject the HHO, as per the water4gas instructions? With one to the intake before the TB AND one to the intake manifold?
06-15-2008 03:54 PM
KentsoldFord Offline

Dino, thanks, that is where this site will come in handy. I definitely need to produce more gas, I was only using less than half teaspoon of baking soda per quart jar and drawing less than 7 amps. I don`t know if I should go with more of those cells or try something new. I do know I will be putting in smaller jets in the carb to lean the fuel mixture.
06-15-2008 04:52 PM
steelerfan89 Offline

LOL
Congrats!!

61% is something to celebrate!!!
06-15-2008 05:08 PM
KentsoldFord Offline

tjh566, yes-per their instructions kinda, from the cell I ran one 3/8 inch line as close to the engine as I could, then split the line and one went to the pcv line as close to the intake as possible, the other to the carb, dead center in the top of the air filter where it was pointed directly at the primaries in the carb. I think this would be similiar to as close to the tb as possible. I did the same thing for the charged water line only with 1/4 in line. I did not use double lines or any check valves either.
06-15-2008 07:33 PM
retmil46 Offline

Probably what was happening was that you were cleaning out all the carbon and crud out of the engine.

Saw a similar effect recently on an MB diesel I have. Ran hot water/meth vapor injection (heated to 130F) into the air intake for 3 weeks and 600 miles. Didn't do anything for fuel mileage at the time, last week it actually dropped off a little.

But when I switched back to cold distilled water, and a couple other changes, mileage shot up by nearly 10 mpg. And that was WITHOUT any HHO installed - just basic mechanical changes to the vehicle.

I think we're both seeing a similar effect - we actually ended up doing a mild "steam cleaning", getting rid of a lot of the carbon built up inside the cylinders and on the valves.

Matter of fact, that's an old mechanics trick to clean out a carb-equipped engine - take a bottle of warm water, rev up the engine to around 1500 rpm, and slowly pour that bottle of water down the carb intake - breaks up all the carbon deposits.

Instead of having to dig into the carb and install new jets, take a look at Eagle Research's Carb Enhancer - very simple setup, basically allows you to change the effective size of your jets on the fly, by adjusting a needle valve and putting a variable vacuum on the carb's fuel bowl. From what he says in his book, Ford carbs are very easy to modify - he even recommends that if you have another type vehicle that you switch over to a Ford carb if possible.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
06-15-2008 08:43 PM
KentsoldFord Offline

retmil46 Thanks for chiming in, you confirmed what I was kinda thinking about in regards to cleaning the engine. Thanks for the info on Eagle Research's Carb Enhancer, I was wondering if it would fit my needs. Thanks again!
06-16-2008 08:12 PM