Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1989 Toyota 22R-E which EFIE to use?
Tink Offline

1989 Toyota 22R-E which EFIE to use?
I'm new here and am pondering the use of an EFIE. Does anyone have experience with any EFIE and a Toyota 1989 22R-E? It is a Calif. truck so has 2 02 sensors one before the CAT and one after. I've replaced the sensors since they had over 250,000 miles on them and I was getting a problem with the heat signel on the one after the CAT. I've been living with the check engin lite for the past 10 years after I intalled the K&N filter charger and larger exhaust. After the modifications I've gotten 24MPG constistantly so haven't bothered trying to extinguish the check engine lite but now I'm expermininting with HHO generators and need to get out of the open loop to get any increase in MGP. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Tink
11-05-2008 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 1989 Toyota 22R-E which EFIE to use?
Hi Tink.

Toyota started using the air-fuel sensors in '97 in California so you should have a narrow band sensor, compatible with an efie.

Only the pre-cat o2's need an efie. The post cat o2 generally reports the health of your catalytic converter.

The usual use for an o2 extender is for the problem you describe. They're about $8 and easily screw into the exhaust. OTOH, you probably have an o2 that attaches with 2 bolts, making it difficult to do that. You might check with Bruce to see if you can attach an efie to both o2's, pre-cat to adjust your mix and post cat to get rid of the CEL. Include a link to your post here.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-05-2008 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply