Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1995 Toyota Tacoma IEFE Adjustments
Hydro Tacoma Offline

1995 Toyota Tacoma IEFE Adjustments
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I purchased a IEFE from this site. I installed a Hydro Super 2 in my 1995 1/2 Toyota Tacoma truck and it is working fine. (the mix is distilled water and 1 teaspoon baking soda) I also installed the IEFE in the glove box and hooked it up per instructions. I have a scan gauge. I can verify through the scan gauge that the IEFE is adding voltage to the signal to the ECM. However, I am getting the following results when testing:

Baseline mileage: 22.6 MPG
IEFE set at .200 23.2 MPG
IEFE set at .225 22.8 MPG
IEFE set at .250 22.6 MPG
IEFE set at 275 22.5 MPG

The test runs are a loop on the freeway that is 20 miles in each direction (40 miles total) at 60 MPH and I am trying to keep everything consistent as possible.
There seems to be no difference when adjusting the IEFE. I have not tested this at a lower setting but I will in a few days. I also verified through my local Toyota dealer that I do have a 4 wire o2 sensor not a AFR type sensor.

BTW.. I cranked the IEFE up to 350 and started to loose power. So everything I can verify seems to be correct and everything is hooked up correctly.

Can someone Help??

BTW... This stuff is addicting!! I am spending so much time in and under the truck my wife is starting to ask if I am going to move out to the driveway and live in my truck! Big Grin

Thanks in advance,

Trace
07-07-2008 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 1995 Toyota Tacoma IEFE Adjustments
These settings are so close that I bet you could vary that much without changing anything.

If you lose power at 350, I'd leave it at 300 for now and play with your electrolyte concentration OR leave it at 350 and see if increasing your hho output gives you the power back with the same/better mileage.

I think you can do better. How many amps you running?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-08-2008 04:18 AM
rpatzer Offline

Hydro- just curious- where on the Scan guage does it tell you that you are adding additional volts to the ECU? I have one also. TIA
07-08-2008 06:16 AM
Hydro Tacoma Offline

colchiro Wrote:These settings are so close that I bet you could vary that much without changing anything.

If you lose power at 350, I'd leave it at 300 for now and play with your electrolyte concentration OR leave it at 350 and see if increasing your hho output gives you the power back with the same/better mileage.

I think you can do better. How many amps you running?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick response. When the unit is cold, I am pulling 7 - 7.5 Amps and when it is warm, I am pulling around 13 amps. This falls in line with the manufactures instructions. I will set the IEFE at 300 and conduct normal driving for a tank or so then do another test. I read somewhere (I think from you on this forum) that it may take a tank or 2 for the ECM to adjust to the new settings? Is it ok to increase the baking soda and increase amperage? If so, what starting (cold) amperage should I shoot for?

Thanks again,

Trace
07-08-2008 10:53 AM
Hydro Tacoma Offline

rpatzer Wrote:Hydro- just curious- where on the Scan guage does it tell you that you are adding additional volts to the ECU? I have one also. TIA

Hi rpatzer,

What I did is added the O2 sensor so the scan gauge would monitor this as a gauge using the xgauge function. Below is the link to the settings you need to program into the xgauge. Once you program the correct settings, your scan gauge will monitor this as well as your others that are pre-programmed. You will need to find out what language your OBDII reads (ISO, VPW, PWM etc.) Your scan gauge will tell you and then program your xgauge.

Once you have your gauge set so it is reading Sensor 1 Bank 1 (this is for a single o2 sensor. You may need to program the other sensor if you have 2, this would be Bank 1, Sensor 2) do the following:

Turn off your EFIE and monitor your gauge. You should see it constantly flipping from a low number to a high number.

Watch it and you will start to see a pattern of Low to High numbers.

Now turn on your IEFE. You should see the pattern increase by your voltage that you are adding.

With the IEFE off, I am seeing a pattern around .30 or so to the low and .70 on the high end.

When I turn on the IEFE I am seeing a pattern of .50 to a high of .90

It's not an exact reading but it will tell you if you are adding voltage to the ECM. Hope this helps.

Trace

Here's the link to the programming codes:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf
07-08-2008 11:25 AM
colchiro Offline

HT, as a test, I'd try running closer to 20 amp warm and do that for awhile and see how your mileage changes. Make sure your cell doesn't overheat and bubble into your engine tho.

I've got an air-fuel meter so don't need an o2 sensor xgauge, but would like to get my trip mpg's into xgauge and maybe fuel trim while I'm at it. Sent it in for the xgauge update about a year ago and still haven't done anything with it. Hmm

I think I'd check out NaOh or KOh for electrolyte if your cell can handle it.

When I said I think you can do better, that was based on the fact that the EFIE alone could get you a 1-2 mpg improvement.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2008 03:53 PM by colchiro.)
07-08-2008 03:52 PM
Hydro Tacoma Offline

b
colchiro Wrote:HT, as a test, I'd try running closer to 20 amp warm and do that for awhile and see how your mileage changes. Make sure your cell doesn't overheat and bubble into your engine tho.

I've got an air-fuel meter so don't need an o2 sensor xgauge, but would like to get my trip mpg's into xgauge and maybe fuel trim while I'm at it. Sent it in for the xgauge update about a year ago and still haven't done anything with it. Hmm

I think I'd check out NaOh or KOh for electrolyte if your cell can handle it.

When I said I think you can do better, that was based on the fact that the EFIE alone could get you a 1-2 mpg improvement.

Thanks!!

I ordered KOH today. I will post results when I have them.

Trace
07-09-2008 05:49 PM
Hydro Tacoma Offline

Still no results:

I moved the input for the HHO to a location about 2 inches from the throttle body so now it is after the MAF and is in the closest location to the throttle body as possible. A week ago, I reset the ECM by unhooking the battery for a hour. I think I have tried everything.

I ran a test run last night: 60 miles and still no results: 22.8 MPG. Set the EFIE at .350. (If I go any higher, I get performance issues) I checked the MPG by Scan Gauge and by my mileage reading and fuel used to fill up and they matched. So I eliminated the possibility that my Scan Gauge is off. I am producing plenty of HHO and I can't figure out why I am not seeing any improvements. I should also share that my 95 Tacoma has California Emissions. I have a o2 sensor and not a AFR type sensor. Can California Emissions have anything to do with it?

I am at a loss. I am not sure what to do. I refuse to give up. Does anyone know of a Tacoma 95-2000 2.7 L that has been modified and seeing results??

Thanks!

Trace
07-13-2008 10:31 AM
colchiro Offline

Have you done an output test to see what your LPM is?

How about a leak test, brush soapy water on all the connections while it's running?

Rick

07-13-2008 11:35 AM
Hydro Tacoma Offline

colchiro Wrote:Have you done an output test to see what your LPM is?

How about a leak test, brush soapy water on all the connections while it's running?

Rick,

I think you found the isssue. The Hydro Super 2 should produce about 2LPM but I am only gettting about .2 to .3 LPM. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I tried several mixes including bakeing soda, Vinegar/water 50/50. I have not tried KOH but it is on the way. I sent a email to the manufacture telling him of this problem. I am going to try and get a new unit. It is under warranty so I should not have a problem.

Thanks again,

Trace
07-13-2008 05:03 PM