Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1995 saturn sl1 1.9 liter =45mpg
JBESATURN Offline

1995 saturn sl1 1.9 liter =45mpg
I tested the mileage on my work car after installing one mason jar with 4 - ss 2-1/2 x 5 inch plates +nn- design. I installed an ambient air bubbler hose with a mister drip valve to control air bubbles in the jar. 1/2 tsp naoh and distilled water. My car is obd-1 so I installed an 0/2 sensor extender. The one jar pulled I think 5 amps . I ran the hho gas line straight to the pcv hose {tee"d into it } only. I installed a dual edge m.a.p. sensor enhanser , and found the sweet spots on those dial's. I filled up the gas tank , drove about 10 city miles to my house and picked up my wife and our youngest son. Drove the car another 35 miles , mostley hwy miles, to a texico station and was only able to squeeze 1-gallon of gas back into the tank. I could not believe it nor could my wife. Although I was more exited about it than she was. The conditions are as fallows- 10.am , about 80 degrees, and using no a/c on for this drive. Speeds were between 65-70 mph. I have since then installed another jar-gen , a home made fuel heater , copper line wrapped around the exhaust manifold for an h.h.o. gas pre-heater, and a home made turbonator placed inside the air intake tube just after the airfilter. This turbonator creates an air vortex to beter mix the air-fuel mixture in the engine . Hey I'll try anything. Anyways just thought I would post my results on this forum. I will post more results as I continue my quest for better fuel economy and sticking it to the man-[ with all the oil ]. ha-ha. cheers to all.
09-05-2008 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CraigBMM Offline

RE: 1995 saturn sl1 1.9 liter =45mpg
JBESATURN Wrote:I tested the mileage on my work car after installing one mason jar with 4 - ss 2-1/2 x 5 inch plates +nn- design. I installed an ambient air bubbler hose with a mister drip valve to control air bubbles in the jar. 1/2 tsp naoh and distilled water. My car is obd-1 so I installed an 0/2 sensor extender. The one jar pulled I think 5 amps . I ran the hho gas line straight to the pcv hose {tee"d into it } only. I installed a dual edge m.a.p. sensor enhanser , and found the sweet spots on those dial's. I filled up the gas tank , drove about 10 city miles to my house and picked up my wife and our youngest son. Drove the car another 35 miles , mostley hwy miles, to a texico station and was only able to squeeze 1-gallon of gas back into the tank. I could not believe it nor could my wife. Although I was more exited about it than she was. The conditions are as fallows- 10.am , about 80 degrees, and using no a/c on for this drive. Speeds were between 65-70 mph. I have since then installed another jar-gen , a home made fuel heater , copper line wrapped around the exhaust manifold for an h.h.o. gas pre-heater, and a home made turbonator placed inside the air intake tube just after the airfilter. This turbonator creates an air vortex to beter mix the air-fuel mixture in the engine . Hey I'll try anything. Anyways just thought I would post my results on this forum. I will post more results as I continue my quest for better fuel economy and sticking it to the man-[ with all the oil ]. ha-ha. cheers to all.

nice JBE
what was your car getting before? mpg?

heres my 95 Saturn setup

http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=1150
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2008 12:29 AM by CraigBMM.)
09-06-2008 12:27 AM
JBESATURN Offline

Hi craigbmm, im glad to here from you, the sat was getting only 18 mpg in town untill I replaced the air filter. I then started to watch the mpg go up to 25 in town and im only assuming 30 mpg on the hwy. I traded my 87' 4x4 suburban for this car back in April. The car had just turned 230,000 miles after I got it . About two weeks after the first test with h.h.o. I added the second jar-gen and conducted another test on the hwy. This time I had my wife and two sons in the car, with the a/c on the whole time. We filled up the gas tank in Tulare CA. nd drove back to the Arco gas station in Bakersfield Ca. , that was 58 miles and the car took 1.546 gallons to fill back up . This came out to 37.5 mpg. I was at first dissapointed but then realized that these Toyota prius hybrids only get 44 mpg hwy with the a/c off . I am happy with my results now. OH hey, our cars look like twins exept you have the twin cam. I saw your pics.
09-06-2008 07:01 AM
howiemandel Offline

Good Job !
Another winner!
Gas valve? Im assuming your going vacuum route? It sounds like it. As I harp on all the time, it really seems vacuum guys are hitting the bigger numbers.
Now watch, you'll come back and say your not running vacuum. LOL
Anyways, congrats!
09-06-2008 07:10 AM
JBESATURN Offline

Yep, doing the vaccum thing from the pcv-manifold port. Gotta be careful though and use a water catch jar between the h.h.o. gen and the engine . These jars underhood have a tendency to get really hot if your electrolyte mix isnt just right. A PWM has crossed my mind.
09-06-2008 07:36 AM
scoriaman Offline

Hi guys, I'm wanting to know what is the best electrolite mixture? how much lye for how much water?
we are trying the lexan one and all we do is blow fuses to fast to even see the amps
thanks frustrated again in montana
09-06-2008 08:09 AM
JBESATURN Offline

Scoriaman, as far as the mixture of naoh and water , I use 1/2 tsp-naoh to 24/oz of distilled water in each jar. Thats with 4-ea, 2-1/2 x 5 inch ss-plates in ea. jar . I used to use about 4 tsp of 70% isoprophil rubbing alcohol in each jar for cooling porposes but this only made foam witch would get expelled into my water catch jar . Not the desired effect. Now I go without the alcohol. You could mix 2-tbls of sodium hydroxide [naoh] into a 1-gallon jug of distilled water also, thats what I use to refill my gens. Dont give up, your on the right track.
09-06-2008 09:41 AM
howiemandel Offline

JB, if you hook two or the two jars up in series, they wont even get warm to the touch. Ok im misleading you a bit. They get warm, but i've gone over 100 miles stoped, and was able to lay my hand on either one of my jars for a LONG time. I'll go ahead and be bold, an say, my jars do not get hot. Not in series. My mileage was not effected by what would be perceived as a drop in production by doing this
09-06-2008 09:48 AM
JBESATURN Offline

Howie, I think the reason my gens have got hot in the past is because ive been constantly testing different amounts of naoh in the h20. I also believe that my under hood temps have had something todo with it also. We are in our 4th heatwave of the year out here in Bakersfield CA. this year. Your right about the jars ran in series. The more gens you run in series the richer you can make your electrolyte mix , because the amps are split between the gen cells- am I wrong . Been addicted to this stuff for about 2 months- still new at it. I installed an amp guage in the car to monitor my amp draw on the gens. using 10-15 amps.
09-06-2008 10:37 AM
CraigBMM Offline

JBESATURN Wrote:Howie, I think the reason my gens have got hot in the past is because ive been constantly testing different amounts of naoh in the h20. I also believe that my under hood temps have had something todo with it also. We are in our 4th heatwave of the year out here in Bakersfield CA. this year. Your right about the jars ran in series. The more gens you run in series the richer you can make your electrolyte mix , because the amps are split between the gen cells- am I wrong . Been addicted to this stuff for about 2 months- still new at it. I installed an amp guage in the car to monitor my amp draw on the gens. using 10-15 amps.

yeah i run my gens in series , they stay very cool

+ Gen1 jumper to Gen2 -
09-06-2008 12:06 PM