Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1998 MPV Mazda
1998pig Offline

Question 1998 MPV Mazda
Help.. I have a 1998 mazda mpv with a 3.0l .. I have a hh0 generator already installed. I also have efie installed with air/fuel gauge. I have a question about the air/fuel gauge. When I start it the gauge goes to Rich. after 60 sec it starts to swing. Swing from the bottom of lean to half way into the rich. This swing speeds up more the throttle is pushed. Now when I turn the Efie on. I can keep the gauge in the rich. As I turn the efie to lean. The gauge will move into the Normal then start to swing again. From lean to the top of Normal. Just wondering if I'm on the right track here?

Thanks
06-19-2009 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 1998 MPV Mazda
How do you have that wired up?

The A/F gauge should be wired to the o2 side of the efie, if you want it to be accurate.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-19-2009 02:25 PM
1998pig Offline

Yes I do have it on the o2 side of my efie. Just doesn't seam right. work in progress, but having fun
06-19-2009 03:07 PM
colchiro Offline

This part doesn't sound right, "Now when I turn the Efie on. I can keep the gauge in the rich."

I'm just a little confused as to what you're seeing. Let me know if I'm off track.Wink

The efie works by making the mixture richer. The ecu "sees" it too rich and makes it leaner. Sounds like you might have the A/F meter on the ecu side.

If your meter is wired on the o2 sensor side (green or brown wire), no matter where the efie is (reasonably) set, the ecu will try to maintain stoich, bouncing around the middle of the .1 to .9 vdc range. Of course, the assumes the engine is not under load and warmed up.

In other words, if your efie is set to a reasonable level, (like 150-200mv), when it is turned on, you should see your meter gradually go leaner (which can take 5 minutes or more).

If you see it going richer, then it sounds like it's on the ecu side.

HHO, by itself, with no efie, often makes the mixture go richer.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-19-2009 04:45 PM
1998pig Offline

My wiring is o2 sensor, then a/f, then my efie, then to the computer. Could I have a bad o2 sensor? I just replaced it with a bosch. This why I like this site.... Help
06-19-2009 05:21 PM
firewheel56 Offline

hi.1998pig i have a K/N air fuel. for the most part i think it is for show. if you have a meter hooked up to your o2 you can see if it is hooked up right . when you read rich on A/F your mV will read high. most of the a/f meters have there own o2 some have heaters some donot the ones with no heaters start at lean for about 1 1/2 to 2 min. i feel the a/f meters with there own o2 is the way to go. i feel a a/f meter that reads from the same o2 the engine is runing from may be takeing from the signal we are trying to control. remember we are all here trying to work with mV and just with loose wires we can have less mv .
06-19-2009 05:27 PM
1998pig Offline

Thanks.. I have soldered my connections under the truck. I tried to find it inside the cab to keep it out of the weather. But the schematics I got. when I tapped into the wires on the it. where not the right ones. Is there anyway to check my efie to make sure that I didn't damage it?
I'll try to explain better. I have a sunpro a/f and my efie has a bypass switch... This is the site I bought it from if it helps.

http://covertautoengineering.webs.com/ap...how/223556

When I start the truck cold. with the switch to Efie and the adjustment knob to middle.
The gauge which is before the efie. Will show rich for a time. Then it will "Swing" ( the lights go from the rich to lean, rich to lean, rich to lean. I can hear the engine change tune a bit as the meter swings.

When I turn the adjustment to the "rich" the meter after a minute or so will stay in the rich side. And the engine runs rough.

As I turn the adjustment toward the lean (when I get to about the midway point) the light will start to swing again.

I have been running it for the past week all the way to the lean adjustment. mpg hasn't changed.
If I keep the adjustment all the way to the lean. When I switch the efie to Bypass. the meter behaves the same. Swing from the top of normal to lean. I believe my o2 is a wideband?
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2009 06:28 PM by 1998pig.)
06-19-2009 05:37 PM