Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1999 Honda Accord MPG increase
Neal77 Offline

1999 Honda Accord MPG increase
I finally am seeing some good MPG. I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX and I have the map sensor control. I did the foil thing first and saw no improvement. I then got the o2 sensor extender and put that on and I went from 22.5 MPG to 27.5 MPG. (I don't what % that is). This is with 1 jar (water4gas). I have room for 2 jars so I am going to do that next and then the fuel heater. It seems like the o2 sensor is the key to the computer.
05-27-2008 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

RE: 1999 Honda Accord MPG increase
I don't know what is up with you folks and this wrapping the o2 sensor in tin foil? Seriously.. where would you get such an idea? Laugh
05-27-2008 04:42 PM
rpatzer Offline

wulfram I told you so- now you are the Pied Piper of Hydrogen HamletSmile
05-27-2008 04:53 PM
colchiro Offline

Maybe not enough foil, try another 30 or 40 layers.Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-27-2008 05:01 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Rpatzer, I still have mine in foil. Big Grin Still getting 70 + mpg.
05-27-2008 07:10 PM
rpatzer Offline

wulfram- I have no foil and don't get your milage. Maybe I should try the tin foil? The most I got on my 97 Jeep is about 25-30% gain. I am still playing. I can only do a freeway test twice a month here in LA. It has to be late at night or when the illegals go on strike again. Otherwise the freeways are too crowded to get a good test.
05-27-2008 07:36 PM
rpatzer Offline

wulfram- I thought you would like to know the following. By achieving the milage you do, you have increased the O2 content of your emissions. That extra O2 does 3 things: It produces the following gases:
1- Nitric Oxide, NO
Function
NO is an important regulator and mediator of numerous processes in the nervous, immune and cardiovascular systems, including smooth muscle relaxation thus resulting in vasodilation of the artery and increasing blood flow, neurotransmission in the nervous system and has been associated with neuronal activity and various functions like avoidance learning, macrophage mediated cytotoxicity for microbes and tumor cells. Besides mediating normal functions, NO has been implicated in pathophysiologic states as diverse as septic shock,hypertension, stroke, and neurodegenerative diseases. [2] Currently, exogenous NO sources constitute a powerful way to supplement NO when the body can not generate enough for normal biological functions. So, recent developments of novel NO donors, NO releasing devices as well as innovative improvements to current NO donors have been investigated. [3]
Vasodilation
Nitric Oxide (NO) is of critical importance as a mediator of vasodilation in blood vessels. It is induced by several factors, and once synthesized by eNOS it results in phosphorylation of several proteins that cause smooth muscle relaxation. The vasodilatory actions of nitric oxide play a key role in renal control of extracellular fluid homeostasis and are essential for the regulation of blood flow and blood pressure. [4]. This also plays a role in erection of the penis
2- Nitrogen dioxide: NO2
Nitrogen dioxide is formed in most combustion processes using air as the oxidant. At elevated temperatures nitrogen combines with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide: It is one of the several nitrogen oxides. This reddish-brown gas has a characteristic sharp, biting odor. NO2 is one of the most prominent air pollutants and a poison by inhalation.

2O2 + N2 → 2 NO2
3- Nitrous gas: N2O
It is used in surgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects. It is commonly known as "laughing gas" due to the euphoric effects of inhaling it, a property that has led to its recreational use as an inhalant drug. It is also used in motor racing as an oxidizer to increase the power output of engines.

As you can see from the above, people who follow your car are either: 1- driving with extreem erections,Big Grin Blush2- becoming comatose from being slowly poisoned :gasp:or 3- laughing their ass off.Laugh

I have an assignment for you. Now that you have tweeked the formula (14.7:1) in favor of milage, get you car unofficially smogged and see what kind of tail pipe measurements you have. I don't know what state you are in, but in CA we need to get smogged every other year.

BTW- if you see your have quite a caravan following you when you drive, it is probably due to reason #1 & #3 and not to tin foilLaugh.
05-28-2008 06:42 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

rpatzer Wrote:wulfram- I thought you would like to know the following. By achieving the milage you do, you have increased the O2 content of your emissions. That extra O2 does 3 things: It produces the following gases:
1- Nitric Oxide, NO
Function
NO is an important regulator and mediator of numerous processes in the nervous, immune and cardiovascular systems, including smooth muscle relaxation thus resulting in vasodilation of the artery and increasing blood flow, neurotransmission in the nervous system and has been associated with neuronal activity and various functions like avoidance learning, macrophage mediated cytotoxicity for microbes and tumor cells. Besides mediating normal functions, NO has been implicated in pathophysiologic states as diverse as septic shock,hypertension, stroke, and neurodegenerative diseases. [2] Currently, exogenous NO sources constitute a powerful way to supplement NO when the body can not generate enough for normal biological functions. So, recent developments of novel NO donors, NO releasing devices as well as innovative improvements to current NO donors have been investigated. [3]
Vasodilation
Nitric Oxide (NO) is of critical importance as a mediator of vasodilation in blood vessels. It is induced by several factors, and once synthesized by eNOS it results in phosphorylation of several proteins that cause smooth muscle relaxation. The vasodilatory actions of nitric oxide play a key role in renal control of extracellular fluid homeostasis and are essential for the regulation of blood flow and blood pressure. [4]. This also plays a role in erection of the penis
2- Nitrogen dioxide: NO2
Nitrogen dioxide is formed in most combustion processes using air as the oxidant. At elevated temperatures nitrogen combines with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide: It is one of the several nitrogen oxides. This reddish-brown gas has a characteristic sharp, biting odor. NO2 is one of the most prominent air pollutants and a poison by inhalation.

2O2 + N2 → 2 NO2
3- Nitrous gas: N2O
It is used in surgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects. It is commonly known as "laughing gas" due to the euphoric effects of inhaling it, a property that has led to its recreational use as an inhalant drug. It is also used in motor racing as an oxidizer to increase the power output of engines.

As you can see from the above, people who follow your car are either: 1- driving with extreem erections,Big Grin Blush2- becoming comatose from being slowly poisoned :gasp:or 3- laughing their ass off.Laugh

I have an assignment for you. Now that you have tweeked the formula (14.7:1) in favor of milage, get you car unofficially smogged and see what kind of tail pipe measurements you have. I don't know what state you are in, but in CA we need to get smogged every other year.

BTW- if you see your have quite a caravan following you when you drive, it is probably due to reason #1 & #3 and not to tin foilLaugh.

You have just wrecked my world rpatzer.

I thought they were following me because I was driving over 80 Mph. I also thought they were laughing because I would get the ticket...

Look what you have started sir...

jejejejejejejejejeje.......... Smile

eddie b.
05-28-2008 07:30 AM
Atfab Offline

wolfram,
Just a warning!
The day before I changed the oil, I did a MPG check on a 300 mile, 2/3s highway trip I had to take, MPG was just under 26.9.

1989 (YES, '89) Bonneville, 106K, 3.8L, multiport FI, dead stock, tires at max hot. I held 60-70 +/-on the open roads and speed limit + every where else. There were 3 stops total, and I don't drive hard at all these days.

On the 18th I changed the oil on the car and wrapped the O2 sensor. I took about a 14" length of foil and folded it down to the length of the metal part of the sensor. I didn't wrap it too tight and it's held in place with some bailing wire.

The wife has done her regular commute last week and 2 days so far this week, all local roads, 9 stop lights 30 to 55 speeds. A quick check showed 29.85 MPG on a 3.8 gal fill up. really too small a fill to tell. She should be filling up again today but she says that by the gas gauge, she should be at 1/4 tank and it is still at 1/2. She has been doing this commute for 3 years in this car.

The tin foil saga may still live!

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
05-28-2008 07:49 AM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

rpatzer, 1. 2. and 3. are all correct. Wink
Besides, I think gasoline fumes are just as hazardous to our health.
And I live in the middle of the middle of no-where in pa. No emissions inspections here. Smile

Oh, and another side note.. Before I ever did any of this to my car, people at work were complaining that if they got behind my car, the exhaust fumes always made them want to vomit. Not sure what it was, but my exhaust always smelled like rotton eggs. Now, it smells like exhaust... without the egg salad.
05-28-2008 10:21 AM