Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1999 Nissan Sentra
prince2873 Offline

Shy 1999 Nissan Sentra
I've been an aircraft mechanic for 10 years. I have a 120 mile commute each day. Right now in my sentra I get about 30-32 mpg. I've been looking closely at "Smacks Booster", because the plans are free. I'm on an extremely limited budget. I saw a build your own EFIE device, which was workable for me(I do a fair amount of avionics work).
I saw a post earlier tonight which suggested installing the gas output line before the MAF sensor. True?
Do I have to tweak every sensor on the car?
Does The MAF sensor take the place of a MAP sensor?
I have a MAP/Baro "switch", I assume they are not the same.

Any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I have a long road ahead.
Regards,
Jim
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2008 09:33 PM by prince2873.)
04-30-2008 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 1999 Nissan Sentra
I'm not answering all quesions - I don't know about the gas before or after the MAF. I've heard arguments for both ways, but I prefer downstream of the MAF

You don't have to tweak every sensor. The oxy sensor is the first most important. See http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/documents.html for articles on this subject that will explain why. Then you can look at Tuning For Mileage (from the documents page), for info on the other sensors. Not everyone needs to mess with the other sensors. Some guys will adjust a couple of other sensors to get better results with their EFIEs. It depends on the car and how tightly the computer is programmed. Well they are different sensors. You can see my abbreviations page (on documents page) for what they mean.

I don't know what a MAP/Baro switch is. MAP sounds like a standard MAP sensor, but you'd have to get documentation on that thing to know for sure.

Your road isn't that long. Get some HHO, then get an EFIE for each upstram sensor. You should be on your way. Maybe tweak your MAP and IAT sensors if need be. Get your 30% mpg increase and call it a day.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-01-2008 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

mike Wrote:Get your 30% mpg increase and call it a day.

Does it have to take that long? Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-02-2008 07:30 PM
prince2873 Offline

colchiro Wrote:
mike Wrote:Get your 30% mpg increase and call it a day.

Does it have to take that long? Hmm
I only say long road, because in my line of work there is little trial, and error. The FAA wont allow it. I want to know all that is possible before devoting time, and money to the project. You both seem very experienced in the use of these technologies. Maybe, one day we can bring it to the aviation community. Many hoops to jump through, but there are many experimental aircraft owners who would be very interested as AVGAS is over $5.00 dollars a gallon now.
Regards,
Jim
P.S. My Haynes wiring diagram shows the map/baro switch which leads to the "EVAP canister purge control solenoid valve".
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2008 08:38 PM by prince2873.)
05-02-2008 08:18 PM
colchiro Offline

Prince, you'd enjoy visiting with Cessna at e85vehicles.com. He's mentioned similar problems with e85.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-02-2008 09:08 PM