Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2000 GMC Sierra 4x4
johnnymacdiver Offline

2000 GMC Sierra 4x4
I have now got the new bottles in 2 qt. bottles using 1-1/2 teaspoons of sodium hydroxide per liter. approx. 2L HHO per minute. Pre O2 extenders installed (2). Installed an ampere gauge in cab and running around 10 amps. Have 4 lines into brake booster vacuum (2 per bottle) and 2 into the backside of the K&N intake closest to the carb. I have a scan meter to determine my current mileage and codes, ect. Each time I turn on the truck I get the 'service engine soon light', I pull up the codes; P0102 - Mass Air Flow circuit low input and code P0418 - Secondary Air Injection System relay "A" circuit malfunction. My RPM's have dropped to around 550. My avg. MPG on the scan unit is around 15.7. I seen 18.4 on friday and have not been able to get it back up to that??? Around town it gets around 12.5 normal avg. MPG for the truck anyways. Any help would be kindly appreciated.
Johnny

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-23-2008 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
srorex Offline

RE: 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4
Johnny,

I've been fighting my trucks ecu for about the last 9 months. I have a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L.

I'm making a little over 2LPM and only use 1 entry point, just before the butterfly. I have tried every point there is and the biggest thing I have found is don't us a vacuum line. It will cause the water in your cells to boil below 212deg. not good

I also have a ScanGauge II and the same K&N intake.
I watch the "IGN" on the gauge. Usually the higher the number the beter your mileage will go.
You must control the MAP sensor by adding resistance to the ground. As the enguine leans out the IGN # should go up to about 40. I always look for mine to go around 47, At that # I get 24 MPG on the interstate.
I also add voltage to my o2 sensors.

Good Luck

Steve
11-24-2008 09:31 PM
johnnymacdiver Offline

Hey Steve,
Finally someone with a similar vehicle! So no vacuum at all? Just two lines into my intake (one from each bottle)? Are you using just one bottle??? I was just told that the scan gauge gives incorrect readings because it does not know that it's running HHO??? So how do I add resistance to the ground and voltage to the o2's? What about the o2 extenders (keep them or not)?

Thanks Steve,
Johnny

srorex Wrote:Johnny,

I've been fighting my trucks ecu for about the last 9 months. I have a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L.

I'm making a little over 2LPM and only use 1 entry point, just before the butterfly. I have tried every point there is and the biggest thing I have found is don't us a vacuum line. It will cause the water in your cells to boil below 212deg. not good

I watch the "IGN" on the gauge. Usually the higher the number the beter your mileage will go.
You must control the MAP sensor by adding resistance to the ground. As the enguine leans out the IGN # should go up to about 40. I always look for mine to go around 47, At that # I get 24 MPG on the interstate.

Good Luck

Steve
11-25-2008 10:37 AM
johnnymacdiver Offline

Hey Steve,
I removed all four lines that were into the master cylinder vacuum line and sealed off the nipples on the bottles. So now I just have both bottles feeding directly into the intake right in front of the butterfly. The Mass Air Flow code has gone away but I still get the Secondary Air Injection System relay "A" circuit malfunction. I have just been told it is because my first installer connected into my MAF sensor behind my K&N filter housing. My scan gauge 'IGN' reads mid to high twenties around town and around 47 when I take my foot off the gas??? I am getting ready to leave for home, 1 hr. all freeway, I will keep you posted. My email address is jj.macdiver@yahoo.com if you would like to talk directly.

Johnny

Good Luck

Steve
11-25-2008 03:41 PM
colchiro Offline

johnnymacdiver Wrote:Hey Steve,
I removed all four lines that were into the master cylinder vacuum line...

Good. I didn't like that idea, but bit my tongue and thought I'd let someone else chastise you for that.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-25-2008 04:01 PM
johnnymacdiver Offline

Hey Steve,
OK here we go. I reset the computer to 5.3L/24 gal. tank. I got a steady reading on the scan gauge of 25.7 mpg. The 'IGN' reading was around 42. I went 54.8 miles and used a little over 2 gal. Nice! topped off the tank......not so good!!! 4 gallons to fill.... 13.7 mpg Sad
I have returned the gauge back to it's owner and I am now on stand by waiting for some more input. I really would like to see your set up and exactly how you have it hooked up. Looking forward to hearing from you. jj.macdiver@yahoo.com.
Johnny

Good Luck

Steve
11-26-2008 12:32 PM
srorex Offline

Sorry for not responding sooner, the scan gauge needs to be used for a while and enter everytime you fill up to get accurate MPG reading.

Are you sure your tank was full when you left? (just a thought)

Now, since we have MAP and MAF I am running these two sensors in series as far as adding resistance. So what ever i'm doing to one i'm doing to the other. My truck like this much more.
I'm waiting on my plates for my new cell, It will make about 5 LPM
I'm affraid that what we will need to get anything better than 24 or 25 MPG in a truck as inefficient as ours. We are fighting an up hill battle.
Steve
12-05-2008 10:25 PM
johnnymacdiver Offline

Hey Steve,
Thanks for getting back to me. Listen, I will be happy to get 18 mpg!!! I have disconnected all 4 of the vacuum lines, I have just the 2 inlines right in front of the throttle body. I have 2 pre-cat o2 extenders. I am at 10-12 amps consistently and have been registering 13.1 mpg for the last four fillups??? this is an average for my truck WITHOUT hydrogen! I just need to see a setup on a vehicle similar to mine so that I can show my Hydrogen guy before he pulls his hair out!!! and if approx. 3.5 lpm can increase my mileage to 18 mpg. in the first place??? If you are willing to show me your setup or at least tell me how you have it set up, it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is jj.macdiver@yahoo.com.

srorex Wrote:Sorry for not responding sooner, the scan gauge needs to be used for a while and enter everytime you fill up to get accurate MPG reading.

Are you sure your tank was full when you left? (just a thought)

Now, since we have MAP and MAF I am running these two sensors in series as far as adding resistance. So what ever i'm doing to one i'm doing to the other. My truck like this much more.
I'm waiting on my plates for my new cell, It will make about 5 LPM
I'm affraid that what we will need to get anything better than 24 or 25 MPG in a truck as inefficient as ours. We are fighting an up hill battle.
Steve
12-07-2008 12:02 PM
srorex Offline

Attatched is the MAP sensor enh. I liked the best on my truck. Connect it in series with the 5v in on the MAP sensor. Should be 3 wires. 5v in on the right. Also run the same wire to the 5v in on the MAF sensor. you will be able to lean the mixture all the way until the engine stalls. Your truck can run leaner at 75 than when in city driving. You may want to add a switch to go from city to hwy.
I will likely be going back to this setup if I don't get better results soon.

Also, the idol control is just behind the butterfly on the top, make sure the HHO isin't just being sucked into that. I have a curved tube that ends on the bottom half of the butterfly just in front of it.

Good luck

Steve

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-07-2008 03:23 PM