Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2000 Honda Accord MPG gains disappearing
SteveO Offline

2000 Honda Accord MPG gains disappearing
I installed a wide band Efie on my 2000 honda accord after I found out it was a car with California emissions , I had a narrow band on there before with some small gains 28 mpg w/o 31- 32 mpg with, but check engine light was always on.
My front O2 sensor went bad so I replaced it and when I did I found out it was a wide band sensor. So I put a wide band Efie on it and also treated the secondary sensor. No check engine light now. Initially I got real good results (test 1) 49.2 mpg ( test 2 ) 41.7 mpg ( test 3) 34.7mpg
(test 4) 34.58 mpg (test 5) 31.53 mpg (test 6) 29.04 mpg .
My wide band Efie is tuned between 1/4 and the 1/2 mark and the rear Efie is tuned at about 200 milivolts although it was jumping around a little yesterday. These tests were over the period of a week and pretty much the same roads and driving conditions , same gas station and pump .
Do I need to replace the rear sensor or do I need to treat the map/maf sensor ? Any ideas ?
08-21-2010 05:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 2000 Honda Accord MPG gains disappearing
First, I'd check for any pending codes. Make sure the front EFIE isn't set too high. If not, then I'd raise both EFIEs some more. Add a little to the front, and a little to the rear, and then drive. Repeat until your mileage stops going up, or you throw a code.

But essentially, I'd play with your settings on the EFIEs more before spending any more money. Replacing the rear sensor is likely not needed. Rear sensors usually don't cause that kind of a mileage drop. That's pretty severe, and it's likely that the computer is learning. A MAP enhancer may help with the. But first, try some different EFIE settings and see if you can solve it that way.

Finally, check out this article: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/debug_checklist.html

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-21-2010 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NanoCar Offline
Driving makes me Crazy

(08-21-2010 05:45 AM)SteveO Wrote:  I installed a wide band Efie on my 2000 honda accord after I found out it was a car with California emissions

Man that's rare. I had the same issue with my EFIE but with well-functioning o2 sensor with my chev. I had to take it right away from a mechanic around here at Carson. Now I have EFIE working so good but this time my o2 sensor went bad.
09-24-2010 08:38 PM
Ivane Offline

Hello,
Replacing the rear sensor is likely not needed. Rear sensors usually don't cause that kind of a mileage drop. That's pretty severe, and it's likely that the computer is learning....

goodyear oil change
01-04-2011 11:23 PM
benny50 Offline

Something bothers with my EFIE with the same problem you have. It's a second hand car when I bought it last year and I have found problems after few months. It's best to take it right away to a mechanic before it's too late.

divorce records
05-02-2011 09:36 AM