Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2000 Toyota 4 Runner
jacks4Runner Offline

Smile 2000 Toyota 4 Runner
2000 Toyota 4Runner. I don't care what other pages say, I get 16mpg city/20mpg highway, and I've never managed to put in more than 15gallons in my tank even though the specs say it's an 18.5gal tank. I bought my 4Runner used and abused, perhaps the changed a few things out, or perhaps I'm not reaching my full potential.

Knowing these limitations, I set out very skeptically, and went with the results that I knew to be true to my vehicle.

About 260miles per tank city/320 miles per tank highway. My half tank mark has ranged from 130-160 miles in the 2years I've owned my 4Runner.

Not great but I learned to live with it.

$4/gallon, I got frustrated and got tired of living with it even with my conscientious driving at conserving MPGs.

Built a modest HHO gen. 500ml per minute. (1/2LPM), 2L container, 8 plate design "- nn ++ nn -", hose installed before air filter intake. EFIE set at .2V, 1 1/2tsp baking soda to 2L Distilled H20.

Drove to Virginia from North Carolina. The only change was with my EFIE, tuned it up to .3V

60-70mph. AC was on (wife's 2nd request after first request of "Please don't blow us up.") 4Runner had full trunk, dog, wife, tires 30psi, history of basic maintenance, 100k+ miles. Mixed city and highway driving, forced myself to stay skeptical.

Filled up Saturday with 368miles on odometer. Fuel gauge not touching E. Forced myself to stay skeptical and not dance a jig.

RESULT 22mpg with mixed hwy/city. 10% increase in mpg.

In Virginia, enjoyed the in-laws, drove around, brainstormed improvements.

Re-installed HHO hose into 4Runner's air hose bladder catch (specific to 4Runner design?) which is located post air filter, post air intake sensor (what is this sensor?) and about 16" before air intake on engine.
Changed water mixture to 3tsp baking soda to 2L Distilled H20. Changed EFIE to .45V.

Filled up full tank. Topped off. Reset Odometer. Left Virginia. AC still on per wife's re-request of "Alright, we made it this far, please don't blow us up." Kept as many variables the same as trip up (60-70mph, etc)

4-5hrs later

Just before pulling into the neighborhood at home, I stopped at local gas station, filled up. Topped off. 10gallons. Checked odometer. 277.6miles.

RESULT 27.76 (28)mpg. 40% increase in mpg overall.

Now mind you, my unit only produces about 1/2LPM, I had the AC on the whole time, and at least 25% of these miles were city miles. SO, to go from 16/20mpg to 22/28mpg - I am impressed. But am still forcing myself to be skeptical (even though on the inside there is a jig being danced)

Notes on my 600+ mile trip.

I noticed that when I turned my EFIE lower than .3V, I dumped gas exponentially, and above .8V I had little HP. Still tweaking. I have independent switches for my EFIE, and for my HHO, and lord knows, now that its the work week, since my wife won't be in the truck, I won't be using the AC!

Plans: Redesign HHO gen. and get this 1LPM I hear so much about. Drive around with EFIE turned off, HHO on. Drive around with HHO off, and EFIE on. Drive around with both off. Figure it out from there.

If anyone has any suggestions or helpful hints, please let me know, hope this helps someone.

"Jack"

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-03-2008 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scotthi Offline

RE: 2000 Toyota 4 Runner
I to have a 2000 Toyota 4-Runner running a Punch5 HHO unit which generates 1 LPM. I was having trouble getting the O2 Sensor to adjust properly. It appears now after reading your posting that I may have the mixture at the wrong level. I have been using 16 ounces of Sodium Hydroxide to 1 gal of distilled water. After adjusting until I became blue in the face, Dot at fuelsaver-mpg Support recommended I reduce the amperage from 20 amp to 10-12 amps be changing the mixture. I reduced SH from 16 ounces to 8 ounces at which time I was able to adjust the EFIE much easier. Still don't have the mileage where I want it but its running much better. I think I will try some of your trial and error approaches to see if they will work for me. I may even try out the baking soda to see how that works. My system has a tendency to get a bild up of green stuff after using it for a few days with SH. Thanks for the detailed post. Let us know what you finally end up with when you finish everything.
06-05-2012 03:59 PM
martinruf Offline

(06-05-2012 03:59 PM)scotthi Wrote:  -mpg Support recommended I reduce the amperage from 20 amp to 10-12 amps
Try to reduce to 3 Amp and let us know your results.

Greeting from Switzerland
Martin

Ford C-Max 1.8i flexfuel (petrol)
Victor-Tupperware-Cell
4x 5N at 1-2AMP
20% less Liter/100km
06-07-2012 01:45 AM
scotthi Offline

I will try that but must wait until I have used half a tank of gas to see what is happening with 10-12 amps. Thanks.
06-07-2012 05:48 AM
JSbach Offline

(06-07-2012 05:48 AM)scotthi Wrote:  I will try that but must wait until I have used half a tank of gas to see what is happening with 10-12 amps. Thanks.

Hi, I have a 1999 Toyota 4runner limited which uses the 5VZ-FE 3.4L engine. Does anyone know which EFIE I should use? I was told that there are two options depending on the type of emissions package:

1. Dual Digital EFIE for Federal Emissions Package, and
2. Wideband Dual EFIE for California Emissions Package

The car was initially bought in Vancouver, Canada by the original owner.

Your advice will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jan
07-14-2012 01:57 PM
scotthi Offline

Wink RE: 2000 Toyota 4 Runner
(06-07-2012 01:45 AM)martinruf Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 03:59 PM)scotthi Wrote:  -mpg Support recommended I reduce the amperage from 20 amp to 10-12 amps
Try to reduce to 3 Amp and let us know your results.

Greeting from Switzerland
Martin

I did reduce the amperage to 1.5 amps and ut has increased my mileage at exactly 3/4 tank of gas from 80 miles to 97 miles. So, it appears that your recommendation is in the right direction. I was also have a problem with the bubbler tank forming some kind of dark build up in it too. I waiting now to see if this problem is also solved. Thank you for te recommendation.
07-15-2012 09:18 AM
LittleGreenDot Offline
Super Moderator

scotthi,
1.5A wow that is low, the dark build up could be caused by over amperage.

JSbach,
You will need a dual wide band, contact me at shipping@fuelsaver-mpg.com for wiring diagrams.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:00 PM by LittleGreenDot.)
07-19-2012 11:56 AM
scotthi Offline

I got my HHO at http://www.punchhho.com/. The owners name is Tom Punch. It comes with the following:

Punch 5.0 SlimLine
*produces 1 liter per minute for every 10 AMPs @ 14v 25 amps max, 2 liters per minute max output.

* 316L 20 gauge stainless steel plates.
* 7 inches x 7 inches x 1 inches in dimensions.
* 7 plates.
* Ships with 3 QT tank.

Tom recommended to me that I use only Sodium Hydroxide and distilled water to make the catalysis. The mixture seemed to be to much Sodiul Hydroxide for my system because I couldn't get the EFIE to adjust properly so I ask the question here and receive a good suggestion to reduce the amperage to around 3 amps of which I missed the first mixture by 1.5 amps. I am about to increase to 3 amps mixture now to se if that is right. It appears at this point to be about right because I have an ample adjustment range to work with now.
07-19-2012 12:14 PM
JSbach Offline

(07-19-2012 11:56 AM)LittleGreenDot Wrote:  scotthi,
1.5A wow that is low, the dark build up could be caused by over amperage.

JSbach,
You will need a dual wide band, contact me at shipping@fuelsaver-mpg.com for wiring diagrams.

Thanks for the support, Littlegreendot. I am also looking for a reliable PWM that can operate at a low amperage, like 3 to 5 amps, but so far I am only seeing PWMs that operate above 10 amps. Since there are a few of us who seem to be driving the same car, is there a particular PWM model that anyone would recommend?
07-23-2012 09:49 AM
LittleGreenDot Offline
Super Moderator

Our PWM will adjust to low amperage. Mike ran his system at 5A on his last tank.
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/accessories...controller
07-23-2012 10:52 AM