Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2001 Mazda MPV at 25.1 mpg
cchongk Offline

2001 Mazda MPV at 25.1 mpg
Hi guys, my results aren't "blow me over", but they're for real. My previous mpg in city has been 19mpg (even as low as 15 with bad traffic), and I've never exceeded 22mpg on the freeway, even driving below 65mph.

I installed a magdrive unit a while back, & added my own PWM with a frequency adjust circuit with no change in mpg (a good thing I guess since others have seen a drop in mpg). I finally installed an EFIE by Eagle. My 1st run COMBINED city/hwy (65mph in cruise as much as possible) was 155.3 miles & required 6.172 gallons to top back off. This comes to ~25.1mpg, which is >3mpg better than my BEST strictly freeway mileage! I think that calculates to 14.3% increase? Not bad for revision 2, but I wouldn't mind getting closer to the 40% improvement some have experienced.

I was also monitoring my O2 sensors on my laptop, & the voltages were definitely bounce below the .45volt threshold, but was also exceeding 1.1 Volts as well, but no codes were triggered. I calibrated on offset of 250mV to start with, FYI.

If anyone has any advice for squeezing more mpg out, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
Chris
10-25-2008 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghahai ghato Offline

RE: 2001 Mazda MPV at 25.1 mpg
Great job, Chris...!!!

How do you do the laptop O2 monitoring thingy...
as for me, I simply hook a multimeter to my O2... not as good....
10-30-2008 08:51 PM
colchiro Offline

cchongk Wrote:I was also monitoring my O2 sensors on my laptop, & the voltages were definitely bounce below the .45volt threshold, but was also exceeding 1.1 Volts as well, but no codes were triggered. I calibrated on offset of 250mV to start with, FYI.

The 450 mv threshold is a maximum setting for your efie offset. Since you have it set to 250 mv, you don't need to worry about that. (Likewise with exceeding 1.1 volts.) We usually only measure the o2 sensor voltage and the ecu input voltages (red to ground and black to ground on the efie) when we're troubleshooting the install. After that we're usually just interested in the offset (voltage between the red and black jacks).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-30-2008 09:40 PM
cchongk Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:Great job, Chris...!!!

How do you do the laptop O2 monitoring thingy...
as for me, I simply hook a multimeter to my O2... not as good....

Hi, I was wondering when someone would catch that part. Smile Nothing wrong with your method as long as you use alligator clips so they don't fall off while you're driving!

It's actually on OBD-2 translator & software for my laptop I got quite a few years ago from Harrison R&D. Pretty cool setup where you can log up to 6 parameters (including mpg) as frequently as every 0.1 sec. I'd get the USB version nowadays since most laptops don't have a serial port anymore. Sad Mine is a little buggy since I have to pass it thru a serial to USB converter, I have to unplug the OBD-2 connector side every so often to reinitialize the communications. Other than that, it's as good as $1500 full roll around diagnostic stations the ASE mechanics use. It was a good deal before the new handheld OBD-2 handhelds dropped in price, now it's a smoking deal with all the new features (if you're into self-diagnosing your vehicles, that is).

Thanks,
Chris
10-31-2008 11:05 AM
ghahai ghato Offline

Wow.. sounds cool...

Have you tried Scangauge II?.... seems to be packed with features similar to a PDT... except the fuel remapping program...

Anyway, do you know how to remap the ECU...
As for mine, I've came across the function on a PDT when I was fooling around with it at the Service Centre. However, it required a unlock code to gain access to it but none of the mechanic knows it... :-(

So what's your latest MPG now...?
11-02-2008 11:55 PM
cchongk Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:Wow.. sounds cool...

Have you tried Scangauge II?.... seems to be packed with features similar to a PDT... except the fuel remapping program...

Anyway, do you know how to remap the ECU...
As for mine, I've came across the function on a PDT when I was fooling around with it at the Service Centre. However, it required a unlock code to gain access to it but none of the mechanic knows it... :-(

So what's your latest MPG now...?

Haven't tried SG-2 yet, been thinking about it, but having a laptop solution already (albeit bulky), I haven't been able to justify the cost just yet. Sad I'm sorry I don't get the acronym "PDT"? I'm new to the forum so sorry for the ignorance Smile.

No, I have no idean how to remap ECU, & I'd be too afraid of frying one. I'm under the impression that only a handful of cars allow "firmware updating", the rest must have chip replacement.

As for mpg, I have to apologize, I'm a slow, meticulous worker. I really don't drive the van much, so after getting those results, I put the van back in the garage to clean up the wiring (as you can imagine from all the electronics I put under the dash).

Also, since I wanted to try hooking up to vacuum, I'm also identifying/fixing leaks on my HHO "brick" & bubbler (Magdrive really didn't do a great job putting the kit together, & least on the bubbler fittings. At least it's standard PVC fittings I can get at the plumbing store. I'm now rethinking trying the vacuum thing, since the system has to be vacuum tight & the bubbler level may rise as a result of the "lack" of 14psi atmosphere. Maybe someone can correct me on this fear.

I'll definitely be updating the forum when I have further results!

Thanks,
Chris
11-03-2008 10:24 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

Thanks Chris, this is good information for me. My wife drives an '04 MPV and I'm having something of a design delima as far as finding room for an HHO generator.

He say you've never seen anything higher than 22ish mpg at highway speeds. Hmmm. I take at least one long distance trip each year and everytime we have logged 26.5 mpg highway - at 70 mph. I guess the 3.0L is just a more efficient engine than the 2.5L? Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again.
11-03-2008 11:57 AM
ghahai ghato Offline

... PDT = Palm Diagnostic Tool.... i think...

As for the vaccum way, the suction from your manifold can handle leaky gen... be sure to have and a good bubbler to take care of the caustic fog and foam...
but if your gen is air tight/ leak proof, you'd need a one-way valve between bubbler and gen that will prevent the gen sucking water from the bubbler when it cools down. Plus, you'll also need a jet valve/ variable valve to regulate the amount of HHO gas being sucked out of your gen, otherwise just have a breather line going into your gen...

Only gen that runs on positive pressure into the airbox need to worry about leaks...(like mine...hehehe... checkout my gen here http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2163)

Chai chien...
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008 11:55 PM by ghahai ghato.)
11-03-2008 10:12 PM
cchongk Offline

cjpeaceful Wrote:Thanks Chris, this is good information for me. My wife drives an '04 MPV and I'm having something of a design delima as far as finding room for an HHO generator.

He say you've never seen anything higher than 22ish mpg at highway speeds. Hmmm. I take at least one long distance trip each year and everytime we have logged 26.5 mpg highway - at 70 mph. I guess the 3.0L is just a more efficient engine than the 2.5L? Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hi cj, I was surprised initially myself, but not after comparing the specs, yours is a 5sp while mine is a lousy 4sp auto. If you look on
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm, you'll see the *old* EPA hwy mileage is an exact replica of your experience & mine. Let me know how your experiment goes!

Chris
11-04-2008 09:09 AM
Verdfrepler Offline

Thank you for good communication.

dubli
09-09-2014 05:30 AM