Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2004 Chevy Avalanche What will work?
greg wall Offline

2004 Chevy Avalanche What will work?
I purchased a hydrogen generator and was told that I would need an EFIE. However, I believe that my model uses an AFR -4 wire and that there are two sensors on the intake and two sensors on the exhaust. What can be done to allow the use of the hydrogen generator?
05-05-2008 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 2004 Chevy Avalanche What will work?
You only need to treat the 2 upstream sensors. If they are AFR sensors then you can't use an EFIE. You can however still use o2 extenders. You can get them on ebay for $10 + shipping. Also you can see http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html , for info on how to tweak the AFR sensors.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2009 10:36 AM by mike.)
05-06-2008 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeephigh_11 Offline

I'm with you on the AFR type O2 sensors, it's only a matter of time until we figure it out. It will really help in tuning your rig if you get a ScanGauge II, very very helpful tool, couldn't have done all of this MPG stuff with out one. Plus once you start messing with your sensors you can see your tuning in real time, no need to run through a tank of fuel the test your settings. Just my two cents greg.

Mike, what's a good starting point for a resistor on the MAP sensor. My Jeep reads 7'ish at 60 MPH and 3 @ idle.
05-06-2008 06:59 PM
mike Offline

Sorry man. I'm going to refer you back to Tuning For Mileage. The author forgot more about sensor tuning than I know. So read what he says in that doc and apply it. Besides, with the ScanGauge you'll know much better than I can as soon as you try your first resistor or pot setting.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-06-2008 08:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeephigh_11 Offline

Thanks
05-07-2008 06:03 AM
Glennjr Offline

mike Wrote:You only need to treat the 2 upstream sensors. If they are AFR sensors then you can't use an EFIE. You can however still use o2 extenders. You can get them on ebay for $10 + shipping. Also you can see http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html , for info on how to tweak the AFR sensors.
Mike,
You can get those extenders at most any auto parts store. They are more commonly know as spark plug anti foulers. The Help parts number is 42009 cost about $6.00 and you get 2 of them. Just take one and drill it out 1/2" so the O2 sensor will screw into it and install the other one into the exhaust pipe. You have to use the gasket style ones.
Glenn Jr.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2009 10:37 AM by mike.)
05-07-2008 06:29 AM
mike Offline

Glennjr Wrote:
mike Wrote:You only need to treat the 2 upstream sensors. If they are AFR sensors then you can't use an EFIE. You can however still use o2 extenders. You can get them on ebay for $10 + shipping. Also you can see http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html , for info on how to tweak the AFR sensors.
Mike,
You can get those extenders at most any auto parts store. They are more commonly know as spark plug anti foulers. The Help parts number is 42009 cost about $6.00 and you get 2 of them. Just take one and drill it out 1/2" so the O2 sensor will screw into it and install the other one into the exhaust pipe. You have to use the gasket style ones.
Glenn Jr.

I don't understand why you need to drill them out. If they fit oxygen/afr sensors then they wouldn't need to be drilled out. If they don't they won't fit in the exhaust pipe without drilling and tapping it too. I'm missing something. What is it?

Visit Our Documents Page
05-07-2008 08:39 AM
Glennjr Offline

mike Wrote:
Glennjr Wrote:
Mike,
Glenn Jr.

I don't understand why you need to drill them out. If they fit oxygen/afr sensors then they wouldn't need to be drilled out. If they don't they won't fit in the exhaust pipe without drilling and tapping it too. I'm missing something. What is it?
Mike,
You have to use 2 of them to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust stream and the holes in them won't let the O2 sensor thread into them. All you are doing is enlarging the hole in the first one. They are 18 MM gasket style anti-fouler's so you don't have to re-thread anything.
Glenn Jr.
05-07-2008 10:24 AM
mike Offline

Great, Glenn. Thanks.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-07-2008 08:27 PM