Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2004 ranger 3.0 EFIE Opinions Please
lanpan Offline

2004 ranger 3.0 EFIE Opinions Please
This forum seems to have the most informed people reading and responding, so here goes. I installed a 2-cell HHO similar to e-bay item 250353039838 (google it for pic) One hose went to air intake after the air filter/Maf. One hose went to live vacuum port just past the throttle body. 500 mile test. Milage dropped 10%. Bought a single EFIE (e-bay item 110290131454--google it) The MAF has 6 wires. The light blue with red stripe had the largest voltage ( 1.2 to 3.0 ) This is described as the MAF output in the wiring diagrams. Spliced into it. Adjusted per instructions. Ran good for 7 miles. Started running rough, lost power,ECL came on. I turned off engine and restarted. Made no difference richening or leaning. I disconnected the EFIE and the HHO and drove back. Took cable off battery to reset ECL. Ran normal again. Tried this 3 times with different settings. Nothing good. Doesn't it make sense to have one or both HHO hoses tapped into the air filter box before the MAF so that a rich mixture is detected? Wouldn't this cause an lean mixture from the MAF? Many people say a 25 to 50% increase in milage, but without the specifics on the installation. Any ideas or experiences? Thank you.
01-09-2009 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benny Offline

RE: 2004 ranger 3.0 EFIE Opinions Please
(01-09-2009 08:28 AM)lanpan Wrote:  This forum seems to have the most informed people reading and responding, so here goes. I installed a 2-cell HHO similar to e-bay item 250353039838 (google it for pic) One hose went to air intake after the air filter/Maf. One hose went to live vacuum port just past the throttle body. 500 mile test. Milage dropped 10%. Bought a single EFIE (e-bay item 110290131454--google it) The MAF has 6 wires. The light blue with red stripe had the largest voltage ( 1.2 to 3.0 ) This is described as the MAF output in the wiring diagrams. Spliced into it. Adjusted per instructions. Ran good for 7 miles. Started running rough, lost power,ECL came on. I turned off engine and restarted. Made no difference richening or leaning. I disconnected the EFIE and the HHO and drove back. Took cable off battery to reset ECL. Ran normal again. Tried this 3 times with different settings. Nothing good. Doesn't it make sense to have one or both HHO hoses tapped into the air filter box before the MAF so that a rich mixture is detected? Wouldn't this cause an lean mixture from the MAF? Many people say a 25 to 50% increase in milage, but without the specifics on the installation. Any ideas or experiences? Thank you.

Can't comment on the EFIE, but is a pity you didn't come to this forum before buying Water4gas wires_in_a_jar generator.

These so-called generators are just about one level above being useful for demonstrating HHO generation, or water electrolysis , in a kiddies science class.

Have a browse round the forum to see what other folks are doing for HHO generation. There are a quite few comments on Water4gas around here also.

Claims for 25-50% mileage increase on some of these adverts are a bit suss also, especially where Water4gas wires_in_a_jar generators are concerned.

Look in the various forum sections also for info on what some people are actually achieving in this respect with some of the decent generator designs.

Take most UTUBE videos with a very large pinch of salt.

There is a lot of good information, on this forum, and out there on the WWW, but what iiformation is bandied about the internet is in a ratio of at best 1:100 , good:total crap.
01-09-2009 12:34 PM
colchiro Offline

"This is not for O2 sensors, only MAP or MAF sensors. It will do the same thing an O2 sensor enhancer does at a fraction of the price. These are universal so they will work with any car as long as it has a MAP or MAF sensor in it."

An efie is intended for oxygen sensors. This is a MAP/MAF mod, which is not going to work as well as an efie. The oxygen sensor has a lot more clout with the ecu than either the MAP or MAF sensors and will do a better job at leaning out your mix.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-10-2009 12:07 AM
thomasbala Offline

(01-10-2009 12:07 AM)colchiro Wrote:  "This is not for O2 sensors, only MAP or MAF sensors. It will do the same thing an O2 sensor enhancer does at a fraction of the price. These are universal so they will work with any car as long as it has a MAP or MAF sensor in it."

An efie is intended for oxygen sensors. This is a MAP/MAF mod, which is not going to work as well as an efie. The oxygen sensor has a lot more clout with the ecu than either the MAP or MAF sensors and will do a better job at leaning out your mix.
Watch out for those SS wire in a jar HHO generators; they're truly dangerous. It's just a matter of time until it "dead shorts" and either catches fire, or, explodes. There are a lot of good dry cells on ebay for less than $100.00. Keep in mind the mpg gain formula: sufficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain. Everything else you read or hear is pure 100% unadulterated BS; they just want your money.
01-10-2009 08:13 AM
lanpan Offline

(01-10-2009 12:07 AM)colchiro Wrote:  "This is not for O2 sensors, only MAP or MAF sensors. It will do the same thing an O2 sensor enhancer does at a fraction of the price. These are universal so they will work with any car as long as it has a MAP or MAF sensor in it."

First, I thank you and Benny and Thomasbala for your fast responses, warnings and advice. One question for you. If I would wire the efie into the O2 sensor,( after testing the wires for the proper feed) what is the possibility of good things happening?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2009 08:13 AM by colchiro.)
01-10-2009 05:50 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-10-2009 05:50 PM)lanpan Wrote:  

First, I thank you and Benny and Thomasbala for your fast responses, warnings and advice. One question for you. If I would wire the efie into the O2 sensor,( after testing the wires for the proper feed) what is the possibility of good things happening?
lANPAN:
Tough question because we don't know a few variables, the main one being how much HHO are you producing. This begs the question of what electrolyte you're using. If it's baking soda, we've got a problem; in short baking soda does not work. It looks like it's producing beau coup HHO but in reality it's mostly CO2 and CO; yep, that's right the same CO2 in fire extinguishers and the same CO[carbon monoxide] that'll kill you with an exhaust leak, or, a faulty furnace in your home. Here's one of my experiences: '98 Nissan 3.0 V6 [probably not much different than your Ranger 3.0]. 1 lpm wasn't enough even with an EFIE {Mike's BTW}. Long story short I increased lpm HHO to 2~2.5 lpm. slight improvement, about 3~4 mpg more. Left the lpm @ 2~2.5 and played with the EFIE. I learned the hard way to read the docs section on this forum. I was under the mistaken impression that the EFIE voltage should be increased with the more HHO you pump in. I still don't know if that's true, as a general proposition; but, had I read the docs section about adjusting EFIEs on this board I would have seen that for most cars a setting of about .225 MV usually is optimal. It sure was for me. I went from ~31 mpg @ 60 mph, level interstate, 2000 rpm to 41 mpg, same conditions. HHO is not a plug & play, or set it and forget it devise. There hasn't been a day in about the last 2 yrs that I haven't fixed a leak, flushed a system, replaced a cell, circuit breaker, PWM, wire; changed electrolyte; checked with a hygrometer for freezing, done something. The rewards have been ten fold. Short answer to your question: expect significant gains after you learn the EFIE adjustment process, assuming you have sufficient HHO. Sufficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain, always.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2009 08:15 AM by colchiro.)
01-10-2009 06:51 PM
lanpan Offline

(01-10-2009 06:51 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(01-10-2009 05:50 PM)lanpan Wrote:  

lANPAN:
Tough question because we don't know a few variables, the main one being how much HHO are you producing. This begs the question of what electrolyte you're using. If it's baking soda, we've got a problem; in short baking soda does not work. It looks like it's producing beau coup HHO but in reality it's mostly CO2 and CO; yep, that's right the same CO2 in fire extinguishers and the same CO[carbon monoxide] that'll kill you with an exhaust leak, or, a faulty furnace in your home. Here's one of my experiences: '98 Nissan 3.0 V6 [probably not much different than your Ranger 3.0]. 1 lpm wasn't enough even with an EFIE {Mike's BTW}. Long story short I increased lpm HHO to 2~2.5 lpm. slight improvement, about 3~4 mpg more. Left the lpm @ 2~2.5 and played with the EFIE. I learned the hard way to read the docs section on this forum. I was under the mistaken impression that the EFIE voltage should be increased with the more HHO you pump in. I still don't know if that's true, as a general proposition; but, had I read the docs section about adjusting EFIEs on this board I would have seen that for most cars a setting of about .225 MV usually is optimal. It sure was for me. I went from ~31 mpg @ 60 mph, level interstate, 2000 rpm to 41 mpg, same conditions. HHO is not a plug & play, or set it and forget it devise. There hasn't been a day in about the last 2 yrs that I haven't fixed a leak, flushed a system, replaced a cell, circuit breaker, PWM, wire; changed electrolyte; checked with a hygrometer for freezing, done something. The rewards have been ten fold. Short answer to your question: expect significant gains after you learn the EFIE adjustment process, assuming you have sufficient HHO. Sufficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain, always.
I thank you again for all of your input. Baking soda is being used. Looks like that will change. You sure had excellent results with your Nissan. Nice work. I will read the docs in this forum and experiment with a new outlook. Especially the O2 sensor. Thanks.
01-15-2009 01:29 PM