Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2005 Buick check engine light
Jim Richenberger Offline

2005 Buick check engine light
Hi,
I have a 2005 Buick Rainier and my check engine light came on a while after I had an EFIE and a HHO generator installed. The person who installed the units told me that possibly the check engine light would come on, but to pull the PCM fuse for 10 mins. and re-adjust the EFIE. I did this, but the check engine light did not go out.
After discussing the problem with him he suggested pulling the PCM fuse for 30 mins. and trying that. The computer needed the 30 mins. to clear the code. If anyone else is having this problem with a Buick try the 30 mins as it worked for me.
08-09-2008 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
classiccarparts.net Offline

RE: 2005 Buick check engine light
JR-Buick-Man,
Yes, you can kill power to the PCM for 30 minutes but there's a much faster way. I got a OBDII Code Reader from Harbor Freigh Tools for about $30. You just plug it in, turn the key on, read the codes, look them up in the supplied booklet, and then hit "Erase" and Viola you're back in business in about 3 minutes (and no more payments to your repair shop guy to turn off the 'check engine' light). You want to start your EFIE at about 150mV and creep it up about 20mV a day until either the car runs rough or another code is set - then back off 20mV. (all the instructions are on the Fuel-Saver home page) Also, I start the car with the HHO & EFIE off and drive about 3 blocks before switching them on. This lets the O2 sensors warm up and avoids codes. Good Luck ! TL in Tx (1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon)
08-09-2008 07:14 PM
Jim Richenberger Offline

Classiccarparts,

That is a great idea. Next time I am at Harbor Freight I will get one.
08-17-2008 08:19 AM
saltmine Offline

Scangage also has that function, an it will tell you what the code was.
Knowing the code definition is invaluable in making sure it doesn't reset.

I usually turn my ignition key on, and let the HHO generator build a little gas before I start it. My car seems to start instantly this way.
08-30-2008 05:54 PM
colchiro Offline

Best to read that code and fix what's causing it.Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-30-2008 06:57 PM
Jim Richenberger Offline

saltmine,

Sorry I did not respond sooner,but I have been out of town. Thank you for your information!

Thanks, Jim Richehberger

PS- My 2005 Buick Ranier was getting 14.5 mpg and now with the twin HHO generators I have installed on the fisrt tank of gas I got 19 mpg on the second 20.4 mpg and I haven't calculated the third becuse it has been on the 3rd tank for 2 weeks and that is with a 240 mile trip also. It seems as the mpg is increasing as the carbon deposits are removed from the engine by the HHO unit. When I calculate the 3rd tank it will be very interesting. Also the vehicle seems to idle much smoother with the HHO unit in it.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2008 07:29 AM by Jim Richenberger.)
09-16-2008 07:08 AM
Verdfrepler Offline

What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!

dubli
09-09-2014 05:13 AM