Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2005 GMC 5.3L
smt0954 Offline

2005 GMC 5.3L
Mike:
I'm starting a new thread so as to actually have this topic where it belongs.
Previously you wrote:
smt0954: Please tell me what numbers you were seeing. Fill in the blanks on .xxx from your readings of black test port to ground. Were they similar as to what's expected from "How To Read Your EFIE"?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you've said this in other threads, but are you putting HHO into your engine? If so, what kind of electrolyser? How much gas is it putting out (if you haven' measured, how much is it supposed to put out)? How many amps are you drawing? Are you doing any other mods?

see my 'signature' below for mods.
Radio Shack voltmeter - set on DC 2V
Outside temp 62F, engine been running 15+ minutes
Test results below are while idling after the above run time.
EFIE switch off, red light off - red/black leads to EFIE ports - .000
EFIE switch on, red light on.
red and black leads from meter in red and black EFIE ports - .230
red lead to EFIE black port - constant fluctuation between .175 - .685 - never saw anything above .700 (both EFIE black ports)
red lead to EFIE red port - constant fluctuation between .175 - .685 - never saw anything above .700 (both EFIE red ports)

my previous post explained to you that i got check engine light when both EFIE ports were at .250 AFTER about 70+ miles

avg mileage checked by filling up - approx 16 mpg

what other info do you need?
thanks

Steve T
Central Arkansas
2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Dual EFIE, Max Warmer, Drilled Spark Plugs, Acetone/Xylene/Oil additive, FlashPaq Programmer
04-28-2008 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 2005 GMC 5.3L
Hi Steve,

Thank you.

I'm sorry I didn't look at your signature earlier to notice that you had all your mods listed there.

The only thing that's throwing me is that the voltages at the black port (to ground) and the red port (to ground), are the same. The red port figures should be .230 higher than the black port figures. If the 2 were shorted together, then you'd get 0 volts between the red and black test ports. I just don't understand how that's possible. Are you sure you've hooked up the EFIE as per the wiring diagram in the Installation Instructions?

Please do the following: Test for continuity between the red test port and the white wire, and the same for the black test port with the green wire. Let's make sure we don't have a break somewhere, somehow.

I'm assuming you're reading the .230 volts between red and black when the engine's running?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-28-2008 04:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smt0954 Offline

mike Wrote:Hi Steve,

Thank you.

I'm sorry I didn't look at your signature earlier to notice that you had all your mods listed there.

The only thing that's throwing me is that the voltages at the black port (to ground) and the red port (to ground), are the same. The red port figures should be .230 higher than the black port figures. If the 2 were shorted together, then you'd get 0 volts between the red and black test ports. I just don't understand how that's possible. Are you sure you've hooked up the EFIE as per the wiring diagram in the Installation Instructions?

Please do the following: Test for continuity between the red test port and the white wire, and the same for the black test port with the green wire. Let's make sure we don't have a break somewhere, somehow.

I'm assuming you're reading the .230 volts between red and black when the engine's running?

ok - Mike - I went out and bought another digital multimeter and additional probes that would stay in the dual EFIE I purchased.
the model is the Radio Shack 22-813
with red probe in 400mA MAX and black probe in -COM here's the results after driving to and from Radio Shack with is approx 30+ minutes:

codes:
EFR1 = EFIE red port 1
EFB1 = EFIE black port 1
EFR2 = EFIE red port 2
EFB2 = EFIE black port 2
RPRB = red probe
BPRB = black probe

RPRB to EFR1 and BPRB to EFB1 = 235.X ( i have to say, this port acts very strange - it never really settles down - and once you think it has and you test port 2 and come back to port 1, it's not where i left it)
RPRB to EFR2 and BPRB to EFB2 = 235.X (this one seems very steady in comparison to port 1)

RPRB to EFR1 and BPRB to ground (bolt and nut that holds down drivers seat) .400 - 1.130 fluctuating
RPRB to EFB1 and BPRB to ground - .800 - .900

RPRB to EFR2 and BPRB to ground - .400 - .425
RPRB to EFB2 and BPRB to ground - stayed around 175.6 (yep that's what the display said)

so at this point, i'd have to say i'm a bit confused.
also coming back from Radio Shack i got a P1133 check code.
i don't quite understand why the 2 ports are behaving differently.

we wired it according to the diagram i downloaded from adohl.com
so, i obviously need more of your help. i kind of suspect that port 1 on the EFIE might not be quite right.

Steve T
Central Arkansas
2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Dual EFIE, Max Warmer, Drilled Spark Plugs, Acetone/Xylene/Oil additive, FlashPaq Programmer
04-30-2008 02:10 PM
mike Offline

smt0954 Wrote:i kind of suspect that port 1 on the EFIE might not be quite right.

Gosh, it sounds like it. If it's not too much trouble, disconnect that port from the sensor and ecu, and see if you get the same difficulty. It should settle down after a few minutes and stay there.

The CEL may be because the efie is set too high, or we may find something else wrong after the test above.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-30-2008 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smt0954 Offline

mike Wrote:
smt0954 Wrote:i kind of suspect that port 1 on the EFIE might not be quite right.

Gosh, it sounds like it. If it's not too much trouble, disconnect that port from the sensor and ecu, and see if you get the same difficulty. It should settle down after a few minutes and stay there.

The CEL may be because the efie is set too high, or we may find something else wrong after the test above.

Mike - that's a lot simpler said than done.
i'll have to get my mechanic back over.
it's a real b_tch to get the ECI cover off, get to the wirning harness, etc
it's obvious to me now, this mod is the toughest of all i've done.

Steve T
Central Arkansas
2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L
05-01-2008 08:15 AM
mike Offline

Hmmm. Lets not make it more expensive than needed. You have a Dual Deluxe there? If so, let me know and I'll send you out a new board. I'm assuming that the EFIE box is somewhat accessible. If you can open that, you can unplug the old board and plug in the new one.

Please send me an email, or a PM with your name, so I can get your address and such from the store's database.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-01-2008 09:52 PM