Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2005 Honda Civic VP
doug2168 Offline

2005 Honda Civic VP
i have the above mentioned vehicle and have built a scaled down smacks booster for it. i installed last weekend and have no mpg gain.

some things i'd like to know are the following:

1) what's the "best" way to tune my civic for the booster?
2) i have 2 wideband o2 sensors (4-wire) on my engine is the dual efie the way to go?
3) will i also have to use a way to trick my other sensors (maf, map) if i install the efie?
4) can you just use the tricks for the other sensors and no efie?
5) is there some sort of documentation somewhere to find out how to trick the other sensors?
6) if i port the hho gas into my intake system through the air inlet ducting to a location just before the airfilter will i see gains or do i have to drill a hole and install a fitting that would be just before the throttle body? right now i have a piece of tubing that goes from the outlet of the bubbler to just before the airfilter.

any help or direction on these issues would be greatly appreciated. my apologies in advance for any repeat questions but, i'm well aware that the application of hho generators and mpg gains is vehicle specific. i'm like everyone else and would like the best bang for the buck!
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2008 09:48 AM by doug2168.)
06-14-2008 06:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug2168 Offline

RE: 2005 Honda Civic VP
went and got a spark plug non-fouler and spent a while drilling and grinding it out. got 2 of them in one pack from o'reilly auto parts for 3.99. made a good fit for the o2 sensor. installed it.

made 4 more plates today too. so, we now have +nnnn-nnnn+. installed them. mixed 1/2 tablespoon of sodium hydroxide with water. started out @ 5 amp draw cold. sealed booster. checked for leaks. filled gas tank at a late night station. drove a total of 32.9 miles round trip on the interstate right back to the same pump i used before. topped to brim just like before and it only took .6 gals. that's 54.8 mpg!!!!! YAY! up from 38 mpg with no mods. i have no idea what percentage this is. i'm guessing close to 40%.

now, what about the IAT, MAP, and other mods? i wonder.
06-14-2008 07:25 PM
doug2168 Offline

welp, after driving on the top off from saturday it appears, by my fuel gauge, there is NOT this sort of mpg gain anymore. has the ecu learned of this trick to the O2 sensor and now i have to adjust the other sensors such as IAT, AFR, CTS AND MAP???

this is not the road i wished to go down but, if i have to than i will.

it's been said by Smack that Bob Boyce stated at the booster rally there is no need to drill a hole in the air cleaner assy and port the HHO in that way. so, i took their word for it and snaked a piece of tubing right up to the air cleaner so the gas gets sucked in that way. would this maybe be a dumb quick fix???
06-18-2008 10:22 AM
colchiro Offline

doug2168 Wrote:i have the above mentioned vehicle and have built a scaled down smacks booster for it. i installed last weekend and have no mpg gain.

some things i'd like to know are the following:

1) what's the "best" way to tune my civic for the booster?
2) i have 2 wideband o2 sensors (4-wire) on my engine is the dual efie the way to go?
3) will i also have to use a way to trick my other sensors (maf, map) if i install the efie?
4) can you just use the tricks for the other sensors and no efie?
5) is there some sort of documentation somewhere to find out how to trick the other sensors?
6) if i port the hho gas into my intake system through the air inlet ducting to a location just before the airfilter will i see gains or do i have to drill a hole and install a fitting that would be just before the throttle body? right now i have a piece of tubing that goes from the outlet of the bubbler to just before the airfilter.

any help or direction on these issues would be greatly appreciated. my apologies in advance for any repeat questions but, i'm well aware that the application of hho generators and mpg gains is vehicle specific. i'm like everyone else and would like the best bang for the buck!

Read the my Tuning link below on how to tweak your sensors. In answer to your "what exactly do I have to do"-type questions... all you can do is read, read, read then experiment. Everyone has a different cell, different vehicle so there is no exact directions for you to do. That's probably why you haven't seen much of a response to your questions.

Regarding the wide-band sensors, if you have 5 wire, you may be able to use an EFIE, which is designed for narrow band. If you have 4 wires, you're probably out of luck. That's something we're still working on. I suspect your Honda sensor is 4 wire and similar to the Toyota ones, which do not work with an EFIE.

BTW, tweaking your o2 sensor (ie. EFIE) is your best bet, but since that probably isn't an option, I'd try tweaking your MAF/MAP sensors instead. Again, see the Tuning link.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-06-2008 11:48 AM