Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L
Painless Offline

2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L
Hi Everyone!

My name is Russ and I'm an active participant on the forums over at hhoforums.com, I've been looking to branch out to some other forums and noted that this one is very active, plus I recognise quite a few of the names here Cool

I have a 3rd generation Dodge Ram (2006) with the 4.7L V8 and am having one heck of a battle even getting it to acknowledge that HHO is even installed. No gains, no losses.

I'm using my own design of dry cell, made from Lowes plates, you can see these on my youtube channel 'PainlessHHO'. My current cell is pushing out 2.3 LPM of HHO piped right up next to the throttle body and recently switched over to a vacuum connection. I've played with O2 extenders and voltage adders in vane trying to get SOME reaction from the vehicle, however, it just doesn't respond at all. I've reset the computer more times than I care to remember, yet cannot even get a decrease in mileage to show that the HHO is having an effect.

I would be very interested in conversing with any other HHO'ers that have had success on a 3rd generation Ram, preferably with the 4.7, but I believe that the ECU is my battle here and so experiences with the other engine models may be useful too.

Here's hoping.

Russ.
11-03-2008 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
daddymikey1975 Offline

RE: 2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L
Welcome to the forum Russ Smile I'm sure you'll get some insight here. These guys are very knowledgeable as well.

CJpeaceful has a dodge caravan (older one) that he's been tinkering with.. had great results with it as i recall.. do a search for "vacuum" and he has a caravan 3.3 project if i remember right...
11-04-2008 03:36 AM
stl_hemi Offline

you need a dual efie setup for your o2's.

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
11-04-2008 03:17 PM
alpha-dog Offline

stl_hemi Wrote:you need a dual efie setup for your o2's.

I second that. Also use the signal/return wire ( Black, pin 3 ). Thats where I made my mistake.
Russ
11-04-2008 03:40 PM
Painless Offline

I think what bothers me about leaning through the O2's is that I have no evidence, as of yet, that my ECU is performing any kind of compensation. My mpg has stayed static, no gain, no loss. I'm worried about going down the leaning route and burning a hole in a piston.

Guess I need to save up for an EGT gauge to satisfy my worries.
11-04-2008 04:44 PM
Warren928 Offline

Painless Wrote:I think what bothers me about leaning through the O2's is that I have no evidence, as of yet, that my ECU is performing any kind of compensation. My mpg has stayed static, no gain, no loss. I'm worried about going down the leaning route and burning a hole in a piston.

Guess I need to save up for an EGT gauge to satisfy my worries.

You would have to hit above 1200 degrees consistently to burn a hole through your pistons, most exhaust temps from the head will only see 550 degrees. Your computer will keep it at 14:7 to 1 air/fuel mix, but you can go up to 17:1 mix without problems at all. If you want all the extra power of running at 14:7 to 1, then use a dash mini switch to shut down the EFIE whenever you want.

I sell the Dooley EGT (exhaust gas temp) computer gauge which allows you to fine tune your mixture and it also has an alarm that can be set at any temperature. Comes with fast acting sensor, all needed hardware. $205 + 10 shipping.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008 04:54 PM by Warren928.)
11-04-2008 04:50 PM
daddymikey1975 Offline

Painless Wrote:Guess I need to save up for an EGT gauge to satisfy my worries.

rumor has it that u can use a thermocouple and a voltmeter for a 'poor mans EGT'

thermocouple should be a type K ..

found thid for u http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....Id=2223843

and Boyntonstu is using a $10 digital thermometer
BoyntonStu;9499 Wrote:I thank you guys for thinking this one through.

It seems to me that my $9.95 digital thermometer sets a good example of
a possible solution.

This thermometer has an adjustable upper limit alarm point which beeps when it is reached.

If we could do the same with an EGT alarm, we could react accordingly.

IICRC A Piper Cub has an EGT gauge and we would monitor it and lean/enrich accordingly.

BoyntonStu
original post here: http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=10...ermocouple

hope this helps.

mike
11-05-2008 04:48 AM
Painless Offline

Thanks Mike,

I've also been looking at this and might add it to my 'to buy' list:

Clear Lens EGT Gauge

The price seems very reasonable.

Russ.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2008 09:40 AM by Painless.)
11-05-2008 09:39 AM
daddymikey1975 Offline

yeah, that's a nice piece as well... definitely worth adding to the 'stuff to get' list

mike
11-05-2008 11:57 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

daddymikey1975 Wrote:Welcome to the forum Russ Smile I'm sure you'll get some insight here. These guys are very knowledgeable as well.

CJpeaceful has a dodge caravan (older one) that he's been tinkering with.. had great results with it as i recall.. do a search for "vacuum" and he has a caravan 3.3 project if i remember right...

Sorry Mike but that would be Howiemandel with the Dodge Caravan.Wink

Welcome aboard Painless. Your Painless thread is what convinced me to give dry cells a try. Especially after seeing how easy one can construct them using Lowe's wall cover plates. Smile

Oh, and thanks for all the email help over at HHO Forums. I'm still unable to post or replay but I think this has something to do with our office network.
11-06-2008 11:21 AM