Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2006 GMC Sierra. Need help!
Greenfuelsolutions Offline

2006 GMC Sierra. Need help!
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 liter engine. I have a dual dry cell with PWM installed with a dual efie on the pre-cat o2 sensors. I have tried several setups with the MAP and MAF sensors hooked into different potentiometers. I am putting out in the range of 4-5 lpm of hho. Has anyone with a similar engine as mine found the magical adjustment to get the mpg gains. I have a Scanguage II and an Innova live data tool that I have been using. The EFIE doesn't seem to change anything for me on the live data streams. My MAP and MAF sensors have been able to adjust the STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) and the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) to change to +30%. I don't know if I am going in the right direction or not to see increases in my mpg's. Please give me any advice that you have or experiences that you have had. Thanks
Doug

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with 5.3 liter engine
Dual dry cells with PWM and dual EFIE
03-15-2009 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 2006 GMC Sierra. Need help!
Hi.
Where did you connect your efie, at the sensor or ecu? Did you check for the telltale, quickly-changing 0-1 vdc signal?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-15-2009 11:04 AM

(03-15-2009 11:04 AM)colchiro Wrote:  Hi.
Where did you connect your efie, at the sensor or ecu? Did you check for the telltale, quickly-changing 0-1 vdc signal?

I attached to the sensor. I did check the voltage before cutting the wire. After cutting the wire, the sensor showed 0 voltage on the live data stream tester that I have.

03-15-2009 05:17 PM
colchiro Offline

What does it read on the efie with a dc voltmeter? (red meter probe in black jack, black meter probe to ground) http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-15-2009 05:32 PM

(03-15-2009 05:32 PM)colchiro Wrote:  What does it read on the efie with a dc voltmeter? (red meter probe in black jack, black meter probe to ground) http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html

I am putting out 225 mv to both sensors at this time when everything is turned on and running.

03-16-2009 07:29 AM
colchiro Offline

That's not what I asked. That would be the offset, which is measured across both jacks on the deluxe efie.

I'm asking what the voltmeter reads across your o2 sensor.

Rick

03-16-2009 02:17 PM

(03-16-2009 02:17 PM)colchiro Wrote:  That's not what I asked. That would be the offset, which is measured across both jacks on the deluxe efie.

I'm asking what the voltmeter reads across your o2 sensor.

Sorry. I will check that today when I have some time. I also am not using an EFIE from your store. It looks similar to the old EFIE without the test ports.

03-17-2009 06:05 AM
colchiro Offline

Then measure input to the efie to ground, which will be the o2 output.

If you have the right wire, you should get a very quickly changing voltage between .1 and .9 volts dc.

The jacks on Mike's deluxe efie just connect to the input and output wires so if you had enough space and time, you could add them yourself.

Rick

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2009 03:55 PM by colchiro.)
03-17-2009 03:53 PM

(03-17-2009 03:53 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Then measure input to the efie to ground, which will be the o2 output.

If you have the right wire, you should get a very quickly changing voltage between .1 and .9 volts dc.

The jacks on Mike's deluxe efie just connect to the input and output wires so if you had enough space and time, you could add them yourself.

It does go from the .1 to about .8 volts. I had e-mailed Bruce and he had me check to make sure it was wired up right. It was according to him.

03-18-2009 10:36 AM
colchiro Offline

(03-15-2009 10:00 AM)Greenfuelsolutions Wrote:  The EFIE doesn't seem to change anything for me on the live data streams.

It does go from the .1 to about .8 volts. I had e-mailed Bruce and he had me check to make sure it was wired up right. It was according to him.

Hi Doug.

I assume the .1 to .8 vdc is so fast, it's difficult to read?

I also assume your efie is wired to the pre-cat o2 sensors (not the ones after the catalytic converter)?

By "live data streams", do you mean an obd reader? There's no connection to the o2 sensor, right?

What happens if you crank your efie up too high, do you get a CEL? If so, is it a lean code or o2-related code? (By too high, I mean an offset of at least 300 mv.)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to cover all the bases.

Here's what happens with a working efie:
You turn up the efie, the ecu sees a rich mixture and leans out the mixture to what it thinks is normal. If you have a code reader or other logging software, it'll also read normal. The ecu will always think the o2 is within a normal range. The actual mixture tho can be quite lean.

OTOH, if you have an efie that doesn't work, the ecu and reader will still think you have a normal o2. I'm just trying to figure out what scenario is occurring here.

Rick

03-18-2009 02:12 PM