Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2006 Pacifica 3.5L V6 - 4 wire o2 sensor
l_green Offline

2006 Pacifica 3.5L V6 - 4 wire o2 sensor
Hi everyone,

Please share with me any insights you might have.

Vehicle: 2006 Pacifica 3.5L V6 w/ 4 wire o2 sensor

According to the Chrysler online schematic the four wires are:
1 - Ground
2 - Heater control
3 - Return (up)
4 - O2 1/1 Signal

After the engine has warmed up (about 6 miles of driving), at idle, the Return (up) wire reads 2 volts, and the O2 1/1 Signal wire floats between 2 and 2.5 volts.

I asked the Parts Manager is this was a single or wide band sensor. He did not know. With the schematic diagram labeling the signal wire as O2 1/1 Signal, it seem to indicate a single band. The voltage range is throwing me off though. I don't want to damage either my Fuelsaver-mpg or my vehicles computer. So, I have two questions.

1. Does the o2 sensor behave like a wide band or single band sensor?

2. If it is a single band sendor, will the Fuelsaver-mpg handle the voltage of this o2 sensor?

Thanks for any help,

L. Green
08-15-2008 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
l_green Offline

RE: 2006 Pacifica 3.5L V6 - 4 wire o2 sensor
l_green Wrote:Hi everyone,

Please share with me any insights you might have.

Vehicle: 2006 Pacifica 3.5L V6 w/ 4 wire o2 sensor

According to the Chrysler online schematic the four wires are:
1 - Ground
2 - Heater control
3 - Return (up)
4 - O2 1/1 Signal

After the engine has warmed up (about 6 miles of driving), at idle, the Return (up) wire reads 2 volts, and the O2 1/1 Signal wire floats between 2 and 2.5 volts.

I asked the Parts Manager is this was a single or wide band sensor. He did not know. With the schematic diagram labeling the signal wire as O2 1/1 Signal, it seem to indicate a single band. The voltage range is throwing me off though. I don't want to damage either my Fuelsaver-mpg or my vehicles computer. So, I have two questions.

1. Does the o2 sensor behave like a wide band or single band sensor?

2. If it is a single band sendor, will the Fuelsaver-mpg handle the voltage of this o2 sensor?

Thanks for any help,

L. Green

Addition information: The senor's part name is "Oxygen Sensor 1/1 Upstream (3.5L) - Black 4 way".

There is a downstream senor on the catalytic converter.

L. Green
08-15-2008 02:22 PM
mike Offline

I'm pretty sure (like 99%) you have a wide band there. The voltages aren't quite what I expect from a wide band, but they're definitely not consistent with a narrow band. As long as you're sure you were on the oxygen sensor's wires, then you can know it isn't a narrow band. I would have expected either 2.7 volts or 3.3 volts on the 2 signaling wires though.

These manufacturers seem to be competing with each other to come up with obscure terms for the wires in an AFR sensor. I don't think it's by accident.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-15-2008 06:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

I'm with Mike.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-15-2008 07:01 PM
l_green Offline

mike Wrote:I'm pretty sure (like 99%) you have a wide band there. The voltages aren't quite what I expect from a wide band, but they're definitely not consistent with a narrow band. As long as you're sure you were on the oxygen sensor's wires, then you can know it isn't a narrow band. I would have expected either 2.7 volts or 3.3 volts on the 2 signaling wires though.

These manufacturers seem to be competing with each other to come up with obscure terms for the wires in an AFR sensor. I don't think it's by accident.

Any advise on how to improve mpg thru HHO generation on a wide band o2 sensor?

L. Green
08-15-2008 07:29 PM
colchiro Offline

See my Tuning for Mileage link. You'll need to adjust your mix with a MAP or MAF sensor mod. Maybe someone with more experience with Chryslers can help you with that.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-16-2008 07:22 AM
mike Offline

I'm with colchiro. Smile

Visit Our Documents Page
08-16-2008 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rawsonjenkins Offline

l_green Wrote:
mike Wrote:I'm pretty sure (like 99%) you have a wide band there. The voltages aren't quite what I expect from a wide band, but they're definitely not consistent with a narrow band. As long as you're sure you were on the oxygen sensor's wires, then you can know it isn't a narrow band. I would have expected either 2.7 volts or 3.3 volts on the 2 signaling wires though.

Any advise on how to improve mpg thru HHO generation on a wide band o2 sensor?

L. Green
L. Green, I have a 04 Dakota 4.7L v8 & also got screwy readings from my efie similar to yours. In checking with Bosch who makes the precat 02 sensors for my vehicle the tech rep assured me I have standard 4 wire heated thimble zirconia narrow band 02 sensors. When I asked him about the additional voltage I was seeing on my efie [near yours] he explained that alot of ECU's add voltage for noise reduction & other issues. He said the sensors are still sensing correctly in the 0.1-0.9 range & the offsets you add with your efie will be read correctly & function as designed. You most likely have similar sensors to mine & other Chrysler/Dodge vehicles I've seen on this forum with similar readouts. Hope this helps as many of us have been told we must have a wideband sensor or an AFR or be hooked up wrong when apparently we have done things properly. Hope this helps. Rawson Jenkins
08-19-2008 06:33 AM
mike Offline

Hi Rawson,

Thank you for reporting that.

But that rep was on drugs. There are no narrow band sensors with the ECU adding voltage to the circuit. It's just electrically impossible. The sensor puts out a .1 to 1.0 voltage (if it's narrow band). The ECU reads that voltage. If the ECU added voltage it would just mask the sensor's voltage. By that I mean if the ECU is putting out 2.5 volts, then the entire oxygen sensor signal would be buried and unreadable.

If there's 2.5 volts on the sensor's signal wires it's a wide band sensor. I don't care if the president of Bosch says otherwise.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-20-2008 12:06 AM
AIR_WIZZ Offline

Depending where you place your leads.
For example. Accross the A/F sensor when disconnected and engine running=.4
from chassis ground to one side of connected sensor =3.25
to the other lead, 2.85
Across both sides while connected and running, um, I forgot

2007 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl. Manual Transmission
Experimenting with: 4 cell HHO gen. w/ 2.5 gallon capacity.
Veterran Mech/Tech/Supervisor and Florida HVAC/R Contractor
08-20-2008 08:37 AM