Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2006 Toyota 4 cylender
melj Offline

2006 Toyota 4 cylender
I have instaled a hydrogen generator, do I need a EFIE to make this work?
melj@bellsouth.net
04-11-2008 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: 2006 Toyota 4 cylender
You probably will get some increase with just the HHO, but you also may not. The EFIE is needed to get the gains available. Please see my articles on my documents page, particularly the ones towards the top that cover the basics.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-11-2008 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

According to this page, all Toyota and Lexus models since 1999 and certain California use an special air/fuel sensor. Since it's current based instead of voltage, which the EFIE is designed to use, you'd probably be better trying this first (about $10) instead of purchasing an EFIE, which you'd probably have to return. FWIW, this mod will only work on late model Toyota/Lexus models. It will probably worsen mileage on other vehicles. If you don't know how to solder and use heat shrink, find someone who does. The usual disclaimers apply.Hmm

This mod is based on information from Tuning for Mileage.

Swing by Radio Shack and pick up a 3 watt, 25 ohm pot that's perfect for this use (part # 271-265) and a small knob. You will also need wire, solder, a soldering iron and heat shrink. Hopefully you already have that laying around or $10 won't cut it.Gasp

With the knob side up and the terminals facing you, you'll only use the right side and the center terminal. That way, turning the knob clockwise will make the mixture richer.

Find your sensor signal wires (mine were blue) and cut them and solder wires (use lots of heat) to the o2 sensor wires and connect the other ends to the center and right terminals. It makes no difference which of the sensor wires goes to the terminals. Make sure you locate this pot in an area away from water or locate in the cab, or later put in a water tight box. Mine is located behind the driver-side headlight for now.

According to "Tuning for Mileage", 0-25 ohms should be perfect. He says he never had to go higher than 20 ohms for an air/fuel sensor and you should see results from a few ohms.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2008 08:49 AM by colchiro.)
04-11-2008 08:48 AM
mike Offline

He's correct Mel. If you have an AFR sensor, don't use the EFIE. It won't work. The handling he suggests is the correct action.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-11-2008 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Thanks Mike. I hesitated posting that info, but thought it better than buying an EFIE and having to return it. If that info was posted somewhere else, I haven't seen it.

FWIW, I only had about 2 ohms on mine (6 ohm pot) for one trip on the highway and thought I saw a little improvement in my a/f ratio. Swapped my 6 ohm out for the 25 ohm and will know more on Sunday when I drive home, a 4 hour trip.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-11-2008 01:17 PM
mike Offline

Great. Keep me posted on that. I get a lot of people who want to know what to do with their AFR sensors, and I'd like to know what to tell them.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-11-2008 02:07 PM
melj Offline

Thanks for the info.,I have instaled my hrdrogen gen. and took a test drive.With only one test I got a 20% Gain., but I will be putting on your recamendation tomarrow.
Mel
04-11-2008 03:51 PM
colchiro Offline

Melj, any details on your hho? Any other engine mods you've done?

Ideally you should check your mileage a few more times so you have a nice baseline hho average.

Rick

04-11-2008 03:59 PM
tanahiro Offline

is this sugestion will work in toyota camry 2002?
another question, i have to adjust the pot to the right side, telling the computer that the signal is rich and then the computer stop sending fuel, true or false?
04-15-2008 07:19 PM
colchiro Offline

It should work for your vehicle. I'm guessing you might need to tweak your IAT and MAF sensors as well. See Tuning for Mileage.

If you wire as I suggested, turning it all the way clockwise (zero ohms on the wires) is the same thing as not having it installed at all. I'd start closer to 1/2 way and if you get a CEL, turn it CW (to the right), otherwise turn it CCW (to the left).

Rick

04-15-2008 07:40 PM