Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
.30 offset v turns on check engine light
dwbow1 Offline

.30 offset v turns on check engine light
Hi Mike,after decreasing voltage down to .12v and not seeing any difference in MPG(mabe a little less)I tturned the efie back up to .30v in 30mv adjustments,noting no change inMPG,after reaching .30v and driving approx.30 mi. the check engine llight came on again.Have since bought a obd2 code reader,here is what the c-reader came up with,insuffient switching, o2 sensor,bank 1 and bank 2,checked the freeze frame data on the reader which gives the conditions of the system at the time the llight came on:It read fuel system 1 and 2 in closed loop,along with other data that dont seem important as for as this situation goes,I have saved it and can email to you if you want it. Should I be getting some difference in fuel economy?or is it too soon? I am going to erase the check engine light,and do another drive test,to see if it comes on again(bet it does)I think you wrote that this condition (engine light) means efie has leaned the mix as far as it can be taken,and the compputer has turned on the light. Right?
12-26-2007 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: .30 offset v turns on check engine light
dwbow1 Wrote:Hi Mike,after decreasing voltage down to .12v and not seeing any difference in MPG(mabe a little less)I tturned the efie back up to .30v in 30mv adjustments,noting no change inMPG,after reaching .30v and driving approx.30 mi. the check engine llight came on again.Have since bought a obd2 code reader,here is what the c-reader came up with,insuffient switching, o2 sensor,bank 1 and bank 2,checked the freeze frame data on the reader which gives the conditions of the system at the time the llight came on:It read fuel system 1 and 2 in closed loop,along with other data that dont seem important as for as this situation goes,I have saved it and can email to you if you want it. Should I be getting some difference in fuel economy?or is it too soon? I am going to erase the check engine light,and do another drive test,to see if it comes on again(bet it does)I think you wrote that this condition (engine light) means efie has leaned the mix as far as it can be taken,and the compputer has turned on the light. Right?

Yes, I did say that, but in that case the the fuel system should be in open loop. The check engine light would be because the data the computer is receiving from the oxygen sensor is invalid (too high of a voltage because the EFIE is set too high). The data you are receiving is that the system is in closed loop. Therefore the computer still thinks the data from the sensor (as modified by the EFIE) is valid. Or did I miss something?

However, if you raise the EFIE offset gradually, then the check engine light eventually comes on, it sure sounds like you've gone too high, regardless of the above paragraph.

Have you read the article "How to Read Your EFIE" in the documents section (http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/documents.html )? Check to make sure that your oxygen sensor is giving out valid voltages by checking the black EFIE port to ground. The above doc will tell you what you should be reading there. Let me know if it's different.

Are you certain you're fuel saver works and is hooked up correctly and turned on? I think you told me what you have, but I forget right now, and am not near my email at the moment. If the fuel saver is not functioning, then the EFIE will usually not produce much fuel savings, but if it does, it will be at low settings.

Also, do you have any odd symptoms. If the EFIE is set so high that the check engine light is on, but is still in closed loop (these 2 data seem mutually exclusive to me), then your engine should be running rough, or perhaps you'll have a loss of horsepower. Do you have any of this?

I'm going to be on the computer for a while, and will check back for your answers.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 11:21 AM by mike.)
12-26-2007 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dwbow1 Offline

Mike,Thanks for the get back,The engine is not running rough,and I dont seem to have lost any power,as far as I can tell everything looks ok with the 11a magdrive,I backed off the efie to about 285mv and will see if the check engine light comes on.IF it does,will keep dropping it gradually until the CEL does not come on.I am going to try to email you a copy of the results of the code reader,it has freeze frame data of the time and conditions present when the CEL came on.Let me know if you get the email. thanks dwbow.
12-26-2007 09:22 PM
mike Offline

Sounds good. However a couple of provisos: a) Sometimes the check engine light doesn't go back out for some time after the condition that caused it is gone. Therefore, when it goes out, you may want to increase by small amounts until it comes back on. You may find that the point where the light comes on is higher than you think. b) Sometimes the computer has to adjust to the new conditions before you get the best gas mileage. Short tests can therefore end up giving incorrect results. Find a setting that is better than the others, then test on a full tank of gas, or some other longer test, giving the computer a chance to settle in with the new setting on the EFIE.

Note, I haven't received an email, but you can post your code results here on the forum.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-27-2007 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dwbow1 Offline

Hi Mike,while driving today I did have some rough idling and the check engine light came on,also the onboard warning system had the message(reduced engine power) and could not get over 50mph.I read and reset the CEL,the data read the same as before,insuffient switching on bank 1 and bank2 sensor 1 on both banks.Read how to set your efie,backed it down to .28v on both sensors and drove the truck.Happy to say no CEL and no rough idle or reduced engine power.I gave it a pretty good run trying to make the light come on or see if the engine would run at high speed and high rpm without any reduced power. As I said no light and it ran smooth with no hiccups.
Just by watching the fuel guage I believe the mileage has improved,although wont know for sure until I drive some more.I have tested the HHO gen. to make sure it is producing gas like it should.It definitely is,I put the hose from the unit into a bottle of water,it showed steady bubbles,and touched a flame to it,very potent!!
12-27-2007 08:34 PM
mike Offline

Ok, great. It sounds like you're on the right track. Don't be afraid of the lower settings. It sounds like the higher settings are putting you in open loop. I think that's what the computer is trying to tell you. It sees voltages that are all above it's range, so it thinks the sensor isn't switching (I think that what it's saying anyway). Open loop will definitely cause you worse gas mileage, as well as the other symptoms.

Standing by here. Hoping you start getting the mileage that you're looking for.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-27-2007 09:12 PM
dwbow1 Offline

Mike,did some driving today,about 130 miles with the fillup at halfway and another one when I arrived home,the truck mileage checked 19.750mpg,that is all interstate,with several mountains to climb.Just after the last fill the check engine light came on with the same data,insuffient switching at #1 sensor on both banks. Will try backing down a few points and see what happens.
Somthing I dont understand,If you adj.the efie higher,it is supposed to lean the mix futher,right? wont the pontential gas mileage decrease as the efie points are adjusted downard due to the mix being richer? thanks. Will try the email of the code reader data again.
12-28-2007 04:40 PM
mike Offline

No, I think you're moving in the right direction. A leaner mix doesn't mean better gas mileage. You want to get the correct mixture to get the best gas mileage. Don't forget, the computer is already calculating the mix based on the data it is receiving. It's already leaning the mix based on the data it's receiving. We just need to slightly adjust the oxygen data it's receiving due to the fuel efficiency device. This adjustment can be small or large depending on the car and the fuel saver, but the point is, that we want to get the correct mixture which will give the best mileage.

It's the miles per gallon figure we're interested in, not the voltage offset on the EFIE.

I got your email with the freeze frame data. That's pretty cool, but it doesn't tell us very much. It does say that the fuel system is in closed loop, but I wonder if it was in closed loop at the time of the CEL activation, at which point, assuming the error is "bad oxygen sensor", it would then go into open loop. If that's the error the computer sees, it should be going into open loop. The problem is I don't know what those error codes mean. I assume one of them is the "Insufficient switching" error you reported earlier. If so, you might do a Google search on that error and see if you can dig up any more info on it. I'm assuming it just means that the computer thinks the sensor's data is bad, but I've never heard it described like that before. It would be good to be sure.

Anyway, bottom line, I think you're on the right track. Keep backing it down until the CEL stays off, and you get your best MPG.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-28-2007 06:58 PM
dwbow1 Offline

mike Wrote:No, I think you're moving in the right direction. A leaner mix doesn't mean better gas mileage. You want to get the correct mixture to get the best gas mileage. Don't forget, the computer is already calculating the mix based on the data it is receiving. It's already leaning the mix based on the data it's receiving. We just need to slightly adjust the oxygen data it's receiving due to the fuel efficiency device. This adjustment can be small or large depending on the car and the fuel saver, but the point is, that we want to get the correct mixture which will give the best mileage.

It's the miles per gallon figure we're interested in, not the voltage offset on the EFIE.

I got your email with the freeze frame data. That's pretty cool, but it doesn't tell us very much. It does say that the fuel system is in closed loop, but I wonder if it was in closed loop at the time of the CEL activation, at which point, assuming the error is "bad oxygen sensor", it would then go into open loop. If that's the error the computer sees, it should be going into open loop. The problem is I don't know what those error codes mean. I assume one of them is the "Insufficient switching" error you reported earlier. If so, you might do a Google search on that error and see if you can dig up any more info on it. I'm assuming it just means that the computer thinks the sensor's data is bad, but I've never heard it described like that before. It would be good to be sure.

Anyway, bottom line, I think you're on the right track. Keep backing it down until the CEL stays off, and you get your best MPG.
12-28-2007 07:20 PM
dwbow1 Offline

Mike,both the error codes are for insufficient switching, one code for each sensor,I backed the efie down a few points and erased the CEL.Sure hope I am on the right track,seems like I eat,sleep,and think this stuff for the past week,nothing comes easy I guess,will keep you posted on the progress.
12-28-2007 07:32 PM