Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
4 wire oxygen sensor
hendu7823 Offline

4 wire oxygen sensor
OK, This is driving me crazy. I "think" it is the tan/white wire. My vehicle is a :
Dodge Ram 1500
5.9 L
I am not sure because I set my EFIE at .300 and when I run it it will go to about .320. It is a constant thru the green and white wires at the EFIE. Is their any way I can use a multimeter to find out which wire is the signal wire or does anyone know which wire in the wiring harness is the sensor wire? Many Thanks
08-03-2008 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 4 wire oxygen sensor
See the EFIE installation doc in my Documents link.

You're looking for a wire with .1 - 1 volts and varies a lot.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-03-2008 06:45 PM
yahooty Offline

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. Mine is the Tan/white wire. The way I made sure was to connect the black wire on the 02 sensor under the truck to the tan/white wire using the ohm meter.(ignition power off)

I also set my efie to 100mV to start with. I know you are not suppose to run the efie without the cell on but I wanted to see where it would lean out without h2. It started leaning out at 150mV. I can't give you any settings based on gas production because I don't know what type of cell you have or the amount of production. It is best to start out low mV ie 100mV and work your way up. Better to get lower mpg than leaning out your engine too much.

P.S. Autozone, Chrysler dealer, Haynes, and adhol.com schematics all had different colored wires for the 02 sensor which made it difficult to find.
08-04-2008 07:39 PM
hendu7823 Offline

Mine is tan and white also. I wasn't sure and had never changed the O2 sensor so I just went and bought one, then looked up Boschs color code, easy enough. I have a Hyzor and have no idea how much it is putting out but plan on making a larger one soon, same concept. I was getting 13.3 mpg with the EFIE and Hyzor, I mean garbage but after about 2 days it went up to 19.9 mpg with no adjustments. I changed the O2 sensor tonight, confirmed all my wires and settings, currently while running I have it set to 385mv and might have to back it down depending on how it runs and mpg. I read on here where people are talking about map and maf sensors but haven't looked into it yet,,, or water injection. What are you getting as far a mpg and what are your plans after you get yours adjusted if you haven't already. Many thanks for the help. KH
08-04-2008 09:10 PM
yahooty Offline

I'm new to this. I am having many problems. My pwm affects my ammeter and efie. 1. The digital ammeter won't register correctly when pwm turned on. It registers fine without pwm. I don't have the ammeter connected between the pwm and cell. Maybe I should. 2. The pwm causes the truck to lean out with the efie connected even if I turn it down to .001 mV. I tried the efie without gas and it started to lean out at 160 mV. The truck works fine with the gas on and efie unplugged and 02 sensor connected back to normal. Its like the pwm is adding current to the efie and ammeter but I don't see how. They do have a common ground but doesn't everything have the same ground? 3. The pwm output shows only 12.3 volts. I thought the output should be more like 13.8 or higher. 4. Poor gas output. I made a Hotsabi cell brute force which produces more heat than gas. I am going to try a different design. Any ideas about the ammeter and efie would be appreciated.
08-05-2008 06:31 AM
hendu7823 Offline

I am using a hyzor, very good design. Where do you have your pwm connected? I am hoping not to the efieLots of questions because I can't see your system but:
The truck works fine with the gas on and efie unplugged and 02 sensor connected back to normal - That is because it is running on has and hydro, I guess the mix is rich but the O2 sensor will probably say it is a little lean and add more fuel
Its like the pwm is adding current to the efie and ammeter but I don't see how - Would have to know your connections. If the ammeter is not registering correctly it does sound like bleedover and you are picking up both measurements, maybe pulses. Are your positives connected to the same spot?
do have a common ground but doesn't everything have the same ground? - I would think so
I thought the output should be more like 13.8 or higher - Volts really don't matter, it is the amps you are after but I know what you are talking about.
Poor gas output - Either your design isn't great or you are not cranking amps to your hydro unit. I would say you are not cranking your amps to it. Again, I can't see your setup but that is what it sounds like.
The ground shouldn't matter but you might want to connect one to the battery and one to the vehicle and see what happens. It very well may be causing you problems.
I have not dealt with the ammeter at all. I just bought one yesterday to test out what my unit is drawing. That may be a good place for you to start also.
My brother does plating for a living and it is basically the same thing except he adds some serious chemicals to his tanks. The voltage and the amps are 2 different animals altogether though. The amps are what is going to make your gas. Worst case senerio, hook your pwm up to a seperate car battery and see what happens. Just a thought. As far as the EFIE, good luck, I have been chasing mine for about 2 weeks trying to figure it out. If I have any positive results I will let you know. I will take some pictures of my setup today and shoot them to you if you want.
08-05-2008 07:19 AM
Verdfrepler Offline

This posts is very informative. Thank you!

dubli
09-09-2014 05:10 AM