Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
6 cell series
raptorman Offline

6 cell series
In my search for a cell design that would produce lots of gas against little amp draw, I have read that going with a series hookup will do well while keeping temps under control. So I made six cells. Each has 3 plates. -+-. The plates are 1.75 x 6.5 in. Spaced by 3mm. These are wired in series. + to - and so on through all 6 cells. I adjusted electrolyte from straight water to what I believe to be a strong mix. Using Koah or Koh as my chemical. Applied power with jumper cables off my s-10. Power measured accross the plates was 2.1 volts at each cell. This I liked. It, however produced very little hho. Just to try and check my cells I then wired them parallel. All the cells "jumped" to life. Smoking the wiring almost instantly. (lots of gas) This told me the strength of the electrolyte was far to much for a parallel hookup. And not enough for a series? Anyone understand why the series did so little, or is this just the wrong path to follow? (no amp gauge yet) I do not know what amps I was drawing.
06-16-2008 06:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qsiguy Offline

RE: 6 cell series
First, you really need an amp meter. It's pretty much impossible to come to any conclusions without recording data during your testing. Most cheap multimeters can measure amps up to 10A and there are plenty of cheap -30 to +30 amp meters available at the auto parts stores. Also, get your self setup to measure gas output. There are inexpensive flowmeters available that will give you instant data. Let me know if you need help locating one, I have many different brands available and in this size they start around $24.

You will always get much more "action" if you parallel at setup like that but like you said you burned up the wiring in short order. You went from 2.1 volts per cell to ~12.6 per cell. What gauge wiring was it that you burned up? Unless you were using tiny wire you were likely pulling some major amperage. For a practical application in a car it doesn't really matter what amount of gas you can make if the amps are so high you burn up wiring or put that much load on the motor. In my opinion, it's not the total volume of gas you are producing at unlimited amperage, the important thing is how much gas you are producing per amp or "cell efficiency". You can apply 30 amps to many simple generators and make say, 1 liter per minute, which is a decent volume, but that's only 1 liter per 30 amps. If you can make .5 LPM at about 7 amps then you have more than doubled your efficiency since you are now making 1 liter per 14 amps and are working at a realistic amperage level your vehicle can manage.

Rather than immediately going from all series to all parallel I would have first eliminated 1 cell and checked results from 5 in series. Check the per cell voltage, amps, etc. Then go to 4 in series, and log the per cell volts and total amps. Gathering data in a methodical, organized, and consistent way will be much more valuable to you and others. Another bit of data you didn't share was your mixture. What volume of water, type of water, quantity of KOH.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2008 08:25 AM by qsiguy.)
06-16-2008 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raptorman Offline

RE: 6 cell series
e=qsiguyFirst, you really need an amp meter. It's pretty much impossible to come to any conclusions without recording data during your testing. Most cheap multimeters can measure amps up to 10A and there are plenty of cheap -30 to +30 amp meters available at the auto parts stores. Also, get your self setup to measure gas output. There are inexpensive flowmeters available that will give you instant data. Let me know if you need help locating one, I have many different brands available and in this size they start around $24.

You will always get much more "action" if you parallel at setup like that but like you said you burned up the wiring in short order. You went from 2.1 volts per cell to ~12.6 per cell. What gauge wiring was it that you burned up? Unless you were using tiny wire you were likely pulling some major amperage. For a practical application in a car it doesn't really matter what amount of gas you can make if the amps are so high you burn up wiring or put that much load on the motor. In my opinion, it's not the total volume of gas you are producing at unlimited amperage, the important thing is how much gas you are producing per amp or "cell efficiency". You can apply 30 amps to many simple generators and make say, 1 liter per minute, which is a decent volume, but that's only 1 liter per 30 amps. If you can make .5 LPM at about 7 amps then you have more than doubled your efficiency since you are now making 1 liter per 14 amps and are working at a realistic amperage level your vehicle can manage.

Rather than immediately going from all series to all parallel I would have first eliminated 1 cell and checked results from 5 in series. Check the per cell voltage, amps, etc. Then go to 4 in series, and log the per cell volts and total amps. Gathering data in a methodical, organized, and consistent way will be much more valuable to you and others. Another bit of data you didn't share was your mixture. What volume of water, type of water, quantity of KOH.
[/quote]

Thank you for the response!
First, yes, I do need to get an amp gauge so I can document what I'm doing. (working on that). A quick rundown... Each of the cells contained about .75 quart of distilled water. As for the Koh, I started with plain water and worked my way up, to probably 2-3 tablespoons per 1.5 gal of water. A value I know would be to strong for use in a parallel circuit. (the smoke proved that) I guess I'm trying to prove or dis-prove to myself that the series cell config. has any real merit. I guess what puzzled me a little, was the fact that it didn't seem to matter how strong of a mix I made It didn't seem to make any difference. (unless I keep going stronger) I stopped there. I have been using a Gatorade bottle in a bucket of water for a measuring device. I would be interested in somthing a little more high tech. if it isn't to expensive. I have another thread called" building a cell" where I was explaining my problems with my s-10 type cell. I'm working on about 3-4 setups all at once, and am still having trouble creating any real amount hho. All help is VERY welcome!
06-16-2008 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply