Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
91 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6
jrutherford Offline

91 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6
Bruce, I am John (jrutherford) and I was just told in this forum that it is possible I may have my EFIE connected incorrectly and that you are the one to help me out. I connected it (91 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6) according to the wiring diagram in the Chilton manual and the instructions posted on the internet in this forum. The manual I used is #52450 page 6-100, w14. 1991 Maxima E.C.C.S. wiring schematic. I used wire 29 (white) at the ECU interface connector. I cut that wire and connected the EFIE to it, as the instructions told me, the O2 sensor side to one color wire of the EFIE and the ECU side to the other color wire of the EFIE. All this was done under the instrument panel inside the car. I adjusted to .200 with the key on, engine not running. With the engine running, it is hard to tell what the reading is, it even goes to the minus. Please help me on this, confirm that I did it right or correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for your help.
01-19-2009 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: 91 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6
Hi John.

I split your post off to one of it's own. Don't want to clutter up that thread and it's easier if we have one thread for one vehicle.

Any time you connect to the ecu there's a greater chance of connecting to the wrong wire. Grab the wrong harness and you might be connected to the seat belt sensor instead of the o2 sensor.

I'm guessing either you have the wrong wire or you have a AFR sensor (wide band), which is incompatible with your efie.

Did you confirm with Bruce what type of o2 you have (narrow band or wide band) before purchasing?

What efie do you have, deluxe (with red and black jacks) or basic? I assume this is a double (handles 2 o2's).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-19-2009 08:43 AM
jrutherford Offline

(01-19-2009 08:43 AM)colchiro Wrote:  Hi John.

I split your post off to one of it's own. Don't want to clutter up that thread and it's easier if we have one thread for one vehicle.

Any time you connect to the ecu there's a greater chance of connecting to the wrong wire. Grab the wrong harness and you might be connected to the seat belt sensor instead of the o2 sensor.

I'm guessing either you have the wrong wire or you have a AFR sensor (wide band), which is incompatible with your efie.

Did you confirm with Bruce what type of o2 you have (narrow band or wide band) before purchasing?

What efie do you have, deluxe (with red and black jacks) or basic? I assume this is a double (handles 2 o2's).

I have confirmed that I have a narrow band O2 sensor. I have the one with the red and black jacks, single, I have only one O2 in front of the cat. I will do more research on whether I have the EFIE hooked up correctly.
01-19-2009 02:38 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-19-2009 02:38 PM)jrutherford Wrote:  

I have confirmed that I have a narrow band O2 sensor. I have the one with the red and black jacks, single, I have only one O2 in front of the cat. I will do more research on whether I have the EFIE hooked up correctly.

Rick knows a lot more about EFIEs than I do so if I say something contrary to what Rick says, listen to Rick. If I understand you correctly you have a single EFIE because you mistakenly think you only have 1 O2 sensor, pre cat. If you have a Nissan V6 you have 2 pre-cat O2 sensors and you need a dual EFIE. When I connected my deluxe dual EFIE I thought it would be so, so, so simple because the wiring diagram said the right O2 sensor was socket 51 and the left was socket 52, both wires were color coded white on the wiring diagram. Easy, just look for the 2 white wires going to the ECU from the harness. Oooh Nooh, there are at least 30 white wires in the harness connecting to the ECU. I ended up finding 51 and 52 by physically counting the row and column position from the diagram. Hooked it up according to Mike's instructions; plugged the harness into the ECU [didn't bolt it down though] and tried to start the car. No start, wore the battery down trying [I love my '98 nissan Maxima; my first foreign car; my other car, really my wife's, is a Lincoln]. I pride myself in being able to fix anything on my car; been turning wrenches for over 50 years. I thought I'd put it all back together, have it towed to the dealer and expect the worst. I screwed in the center bolt holding the wiring harness to the ECU and went inside to grab some iced tea. when I came out my Nissan was gone. Wife ran to 7-11 for some milk. Either that center bolt is a ground, or, I didn't have the harness pushed in all the way. What a relief. HHO and I took off from there and haven't stopped yet.

My point: Sometimes it's frustrating but you learn by your mistakes. The worst mistake is to give up. Let's beat big oil, OPEC, keep America "Happy Motoring" for the foreseeable future.
01-19-2009 03:41 PM
colchiro Offline

Thanks Thomas.

Some older cars had the single wire o2 and could have had only one, but I would think by 99 all vehicles should be 4 wire and there should be two of them, one on each exhaust pipe.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-19-2009 06:04 PM
jrutherford Offline

(01-19-2009 03:41 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Rick knows a lot more about EFIEs than I do so if I say something contrary to what Rick says, listen to Rick. If I understand you correctly you have a single EFIE because you mistakenly think you only have 1 O2 sensor, pre cat. If you have a Nissan V6 you have 2 pre-cat O2 sensors and you need a dual EFIE. When I connected my deluxe dual EFIE I thought it would be so, so, so simple because the wiring diagram said the right O2 sensor was socket 51 and the left was socket 52, both wires were color coded white on the wiring diagram. Easy, just look for the 2 white wires going to the ECU from the harness. Oooh Nooh, there are at least 30 white wires in the harness connecting to the ECU. I ended up finding 51 and 52 by physically counting the row and column position from the diagram. Hooked it up according to Mike's instructions; plugged the harness into the ECU [didn't bolt it down though] and tried to start the car. No start, wore the battery down trying [I love my '98 nissan Maxima; my first foreign car; my other car, really my wife's, is a Lincoln]. I pride myself in being able to fix anything on my car; been turning wrenches for over 50 years. I thought I'd put it all back together, have it towed to the dealer and expect the worst. I screwed in the center bolt holding the wiring harness to the ECU and went inside to grab some iced tea. when I came out my Nissan was gone. Wife ran to 7-11 for some milk. Either that center bolt is a ground, or, I didn't have the harness pushed in all the way. What a relief. HHO and I took off from there and haven't stopped yet.

My point: Sometimes it's frustrating but you learn by your mistakes. The worst mistake is to give up. Let's beat big oil, OPEC, keep America "Happy Motoring" for the foreseeable future.

Since I have spent a lot of time under the car looking and tracing etc, I can confirm that I only have 1 O2 sensor before the cat. It has single exhaust being a '91. I think they went to dual exh and 2 O2 sensors before the cat some time after, so that is where I think your '98 differs from my '91, or my wife's '91. I also did what you did in that I traced and looked and studied the wiring diagram and made sure that I had the right wire, as yes, I too saw there were many white wires. But I looked on the wiring diagram and saw socket 29 had the one I was looking for, the O2 sensor to the ECU wire. I also made sure by checking the row and column position in the socket and even looked at the socket to see which color wires was ajacent to socket 29 and matched correctly on the socket and on the diagram. That is why your letter was a breath of fresh air when I read it! When I started the engine after hooking it up, and put the digital multimeter probes into the test sockets to see what the mv adjustment was, as I turned the adjustment pot, I noticed the engine change as I turned the screw with the jeweler screwdriver. Yesterday, I changed the electrolyte and used 1 tsp of KOH to 1 gal of distilled water. I removed 4 cells a put back in the car only 2 because of the freezing temperature outside, the cells were taking too long to thaw. I used a battery charger to speed up the thawing and noticed the one cell drawing 9 amps on the charger, that was with the 8 tsp/gallon solution. When I put the new electrolyte in after triple rinsing each of the two cells with distilled water, I tested the amp draw with the charger drew only 1 amp. I will be road testing for mpg tomorrow when I commute the 30 miles one way to work. By the way, you said your car is a '98 Nissan Maxima and your wife's car is a Lincoln. My current project car is my wife's '91 Nissan. My car is a Lincoln, a '96 Town Car, which will be my next project car when I perfect the Nissan or get it to where the mileage is substantially increased. Thanks very much for all the encouragement and help. I am never giving up. I hope the new prez has the courage and spine to promote the technology we are trying to perfect, to stand up to big petrol.
01-20-2009 07:32 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-20-2009 07:32 PM)jrutherford Wrote:  
(01-19-2009 03:41 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

Since I have spent a lot of time under the car looking and tracing etc, I can confirm that I only have 1 O2 sensor before the cat. It has single exhaust being a '91. I think they went to dual exh and 2 O2 sensors before the cat some time after, so that is where I think your '98 differs from my '91, or my wife's '91. I also did what you did in that I traced and looked and studied the wiring diagram and made sure that I had the right wire, as yes, I too saw there were many white wires. But I looked on the wiring diagram and saw socket 29 had the one I was looking for, the O2 sensor to the ECU wire. I also made sure by checking the row and column position in the socket and even looked at the socket to see which color wires was ajacent to socket 29 and matched correctly on the socket and on the diagram. That is why your letter was a breath of fresh air when I read it! When I started the engine after hooking it up, and put the digital multimeter probes into the test sockets to see what the mv adjustment was, as I turned the adjustment pot, I noticed the engine change as I turned the screw with the jeweler screwdriver. Yesterday, I changed the electrolyte and used 1 tsp of KOH to 1 gal of distilled water. I removed 4 cells a put back in the car only 2 because of the freezing temperature outside, the cells were taking too long to thaw. I used a battery charger to speed up the thawing and noticed the one cell drawing 9 amps on the charger, that was with the 8 tsp/gallon solution. When I put the new electrolyte in after triple rinsing each of the two cells with distilled water, I tested the amp draw with the charger drew only 1 amp. I will be road testing for mpg tomorrow when I commute the 30 miles one way to work. By the way, you said your car is a '98 Nissan Maxima and your wife's car is a Lincoln. My current project car is my wife's '91 Nissan. My car is a Lincoln, a '96 Town Car, which will be my next project car when I perfect the Nissan or get it to where the mileage is substantially increased. Thanks very much for all the encouragement and help. I am never giving up. I hope the new prez has the courage and spine to promote the technology we are trying to perfect, to stand up to big petrol.

How strange, my wife's Lincoln is a '96 Towncar 4.6 L. I haven't even tried HHO on it yet. I've been watching the F 150 posts because they have the same engine. We'll need a lot more HHO for our Lincolns than our Nissans.

So, what's your HHO output now? 1 amp surely isn't putting out much HHO. What's the reading on your voltmeter when you plug it in to the jacks on the EFIE; still jump around? I didn't get any gains until I shot 2 to 3 lpm into the plenum. What kind of generators are you using; brick in a bath? dry cell? Keep us posted.
01-20-2009 08:21 PM
jrutherford Offline

(01-20-2009 08:21 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  So, what's your HHO output now? 1 amp surely isn't putting out much HHO. What's the reading on your voltmeter when you plug it in to the jacks on the EFIE; still jump around? I didn't get any gains until I shot 2 to 3 lpm into the plenum. What kind of generators are you using; brick in a bath? dry cell? Keep us posted.

I don't know what my HHO output is. So I have decided to invest in a HHO flowmeter. Without it, I am in the dark, working blindfolded. I am using mason jars with my cathodes and annodes made from ss 1/4 -20 allthread with 5 fender washers on each electrode separated by 2 nuts. I haven't tested my EFIE in a couple of weeks. I need to test what the O2 sensor is putting out and what the ECU is receiving as well. I am very seriously considering going to dry cell, but I must test my output.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2009 02:31 PM by colchiro.)
01-21-2009 10:11 PM
colchiro Offline

You can test it for free using an inverted pop bottle full of water, in a pail of water. Stick your hho hose into the bottle and time how long it takes to displace the water in the pop bottle. Then measure how much water it holds (in milliliters) and divide by the time and multiply by 1000 to convert to LPM (liters per minute).

I doubt the jars are very efficient unless you have several of them wired in series to drop the voltage to each cell to around 2-3 volts each.

Rick

01-22-2009 02:31 PM
jrutherford Offline

(01-22-2009 02:31 PM)colchiro Wrote:  You can test it for free using an inverted pop bottle full of water, in a pail of water. Stick your hho hose into the bottle and time how long it takes to displace the water in the pop bottle. Then measure how much water it holds (in milliliters) and divide by the time and multiply by 1000 to convert to LPM (liters per minute).

I doubt the jars are very efficient unless you have several of them wired in series to drop the voltage to each cell to around 2-3 volts each.
The inverted pop bottle in a bucket of water sounds like a good idea. Funny, I just ordered a new hho flow meter today. So I can check one against the other. I have been running 4 jars at 6 volts each. I could hook them up at 2 volts each. A one liter pop bottle would simplify the operation.
01-22-2009 08:09 PM