Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
91 Nissan Maxima Results
jrutherford Offline

91 Nissan Maxima Results
Hello everybody, I just joined the Fuel-Saver forum today.

I would like to introduce myself. I am located in Indiana. I am rather new at hho, or hydrogen on demand, etc. I have stayed up late many nights trying to learn this technology. Once I get it perfected, I want to share it with anyone who will listen and wants to apply it to their vehicles.

I "cut my teeth" with water4gas. I am seeing some of the flaws in their designs. But I had to start somewhere.

My project vehicle right now is a 91 Nissan Maxima with sohc v6 engine and automatic transmission. Here is the data I have:

Pre hho mpg: 24
With one water4gas ss wire cell w/baking soda, no electronic enhancement, gas outlet entering engine through vacuum hose, mileage increased to 27 mpg.
I then went to a different design generator, 4 one quart mason jars w/plastic lids, 1/4-20 ss all thread with 1-1/2" OD fender washers, each separated by 2 nuts (total of 5 fender washers for each cathode and each annode). Wired series/parallel so that voltage is 6v. I was using baking soda and distilled water, experimented with varying amounts anywhere from 1/2 tsp per quart jar to 4 per jar. I have a 30 amp fuse, never blew one. The mileage result was 30 mpg for a while. I believe that was when the weather was still warm.That was without any electronic enhancement changes.
The mileage has gone down, can't seem to get the results I want, right now, about 23 or 24 mpg
I now have a MAF enhancer, which I also added a 15 ohm resistor to the ground leg. When I turned the knob about 1/8 toward lean, the engine starts to run rough. After I added the EFIE, I was able to get to 1/3 of the way before the engine ran rough. I have the EFIE set at .200.
I know there are better designs out there than I have, with better results, and that is what I am striving for.
I have also switched to using KOH, using 8 tsp per gal of distilled water. I don't know which is better, KOH or NaOH. I have both in my garage.
I need all the help I can get. Thanks.
01-14-2009 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CraigBMM Offline

RE: 91 Nissan Maxima Results
(01-14-2009 09:03 AM)jrutherford Wrote:  Hello everybody, I just joined the Fuel-Saver forum today.

I would like to introduce myself. I am located in Indiana. I am rather new at hho, or hydrogen on demand, etc. I have stayed up late many nights trying to learn this technology. Once I get it perfected, I want to share it with anyone who will listen and wants to apply it to their vehicles.

I "cut my teeth" with water4gas. I am seeing some of the flaws in their designs. But I had to start somewhere.

My project vehicle right now is a 91 Nissan Maxima with sohc v6 engine and automatic transmission. Here is the data I have:

With one water4gas ss wire cell w/baking soda, no electronic enhancement, gas outlet entering engine through vacuum hose, mileage increased to 27 mpg.
I then went to a different design generator, 4 one quart mason jars w/plastic lids, 1/4-20 ss all thread with 1-1/2" OD fender washers, each separated by 2 nuts (total of 5 fender washers for each cathode and each annode). Wired series/parallel so that voltage is 6v. I was using baking soda and distilled water, experimented with varying amounts anywhere from 1/2 tsp per quart jar to 4 per jar. I have a 30 amp fuse, never blew one. The mileage result was 30 mpg for a while. I believe that was when the weather was still warm.That was without any electronic enhancement changes.
The mileage has gone down, can't seem to get the results I want, right now, about 23 or 24 mpg
I now have a MAF enhancer, which I also added a 15 ohm resistor to the ground leg. When I turned the knob about 1/8 toward lean, the engine starts to run rough. After I added the EFIE, I was able to get to 1/3 of the way before the engine ran rough. I have the EFIE set at .200.
I know there are better designs out there than I have, with better results, and that is what I am striving for.
I have also switched to using KOH, using 8 tsp per gal of distilled water. I don't know which is better, KOH or NaOH. I have both in my garage.

well first have you checked your output? thats what we need.
and where are you injecting the HHO ?

good start , welcome
01-17-2009 01:21 AM
Gary Offline

Use the NaOH for drain cleaning, if you have KOH.
Check out dry cells.
01-17-2009 05:21 AM
jrutherford Offline

(01-17-2009 01:21 AM)CraigBMM Wrote:  
(01-14-2009 09:03 AM)jrutherford Wrote:  Hello everybody, I just joined the Fuel-Saver forum today.

well first have you checked your output? thats what we need.
and where are you injecting the HHO ?

good start , welcome

Thanks for responding.
No, I have not checked my gas output. I was looking online for instruments that can do that. I have tee'd into a vacuum line at the intake to inject the HHO. I was injecting to the intake plenum downstream of the MAF. I drilled a hole in the plenum and threaded in a fitting with a barb, but presently I have that blocked off.
(01-17-2009 05:21 AM)Gary Wrote:  Use the NaOH for drain cleaning, if you have KOH.
Check out dry cells.
Thanks Gary. I have NaOH and KOH. Presently I am using KOH. I hope to change the electrolyte today and plan to use only 1/2 tsp per gallon. Right now, my current mixture is 8 tsp of KOH per gallon of distilled water.
(01-17-2009 05:21 AM)Gary Wrote:  Use the NaOH for drain cleaning, if you have KOH.
Check out dry cells.
Oh, and I'll check out dry cells too, thanks.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2009 10:02 AM by jrutherford.)
01-17-2009 09:54 AM
Gary Offline

Once you go dry, you learn to fly. Cool[/u]
01-17-2009 04:27 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-17-2009 04:27 PM)Gary Wrote:  Once you go dry, you learn to fly. Cool[/u]
Gary's right; you need a dry cell. I have a '98 Nissan V6, probably not much different than yours, except for OBD II. I didn't get any gains to speak of until I started pumping about 2.5 lpm into the plenum, after the MAF [never, ever inject HHO before the MAF such that the HHO runs through, over or in any way contacts the MAF]. I've had no success with MAF enhancers at all. My EFIE [bought it right here] setting is .225mv. In warm weather I get ~41mpg @ 60 mph, 2000 rpm on level interstate. Mixed, city & highway I average ~29 mpg. Running both a dry cell and a brick in a bath. I think the formula is: Suficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain. I think about 1 lpm per liter of engine displacement is sufficient HHO; others think 1 lpm per 2 liters of engine displacement is sufficient. What ever works for you. I've never seen so much HHO that mpg declines. Keep us posted. No matter what problem you run into there's probably someone here that can solve it. Good luck. Glad to have you aboard.
01-17-2009 07:08 PM
mack58scomac Offline

Hi jrutherford

I also have a nissan maxima, 1990, but with high mileage, 224,000 miles and am trying to install a HHO unit into it. I got a dry-cell (21 plates) which is suppose to put out more than +4 LPM and am a little worried that, that might be too much gas to be pumping through that motor...I don't know yet? You said you tapped into a vaccum source somewhere in the intake plenum and the reason I ask is I have read never use a vaccum port/line. I am planning on drilling a hole just before the throttle valve where it can get into the intake with out going into those 3 lines in back of, but on the manifold before the throttle valve. They come off of the AAC valve (where you adjust your RPM). I am mainly looking for some inputs on how and where you installed the unit and what/or if there was any things to watch out for? Right now I have been going slow until I have the right HHO unit, which I think I now have, now I am waiting to get some answers to some of my questions before I press-on. I have a HHO unit, 30 & 40 amp relays, a small 1L reservoir, 1 EFIE unit and that should be enought for now...unless? If you have any pointers, I am sure I could use them. Thanks
Take care and good luck

mack58scomac
01-18-2009 11:06 AM
thomasbala Offline

Mack:
If you have a 1/4 " vacuum line that runs from one of the ports in the vacuum block under the throttle body go ahead and hook into it. the vacuum is slight and it runs into a plenum that has a box like enclosure. Any liquid would flow to the box and out of the plenum. i've had good luck using it in my '98 Nissan V6.
01-18-2009 03:44 PM
jrutherford Offline

(01-17-2009 07:08 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
Gary's right; you need a dry cell. I have a '98 Nissan V6, probably not much different than yours, except for OBD II. I didn't get any gains to speak of until I started pumping about 2.5 lpm into the plenum, after the MAF [never, ever inject HHO before the MAF such that the HHO runs through, over or in any way contacts the MAF]. I've had no success with MAF enhancers at all. My EFIE [bought it right here] setting is .225mv. In warm weather I get ~41mpg @ 60 mph, 2000 rpm on level interstate. Mixed, city & highway I average ~29 mpg. Running both a dry cell and a brick in a bath. I think the formula is: Suficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain. I think about 1 lpm per liter of engine displacement is sufficient HHO; others think 1 lpm per 2 liters of engine displacement is sufficient. What ever works for you. I've never seen so much HHO that mpg declines. Keep us posted. No matter what problem you run into there's probably someone here that can solve it. Good luck. Glad to have you aboard.

I will look for a dry cell soon. Tomorrow, if the weather is somewhat decent, I plan to change the electrolyte in my electrolyzers. I am planning to dilute the KOH I now have in the units I am running from 8 tsp per gal of distilled water to 1/2 tsp per gallon and test it. I suspect part of my problem may be too much electrolyte causing the alternator to overload and reverse any mpg gains. I also will be disconnecting both battery cables and while disconnected, touch the positive and negative cables to each other to erase any volatile memory the ECU may have retained. If there is any gain, I am on the right track. Then I will look into the dry cell. The next question is what to do with the hundred hho electrolyzers I have already built. Sell them on e-bay maybe? Thanks very much for your help.
01-18-2009 03:58 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-18-2009 03:58 PM)jrutherford Wrote:  
(01-17-2009 07:08 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  

I will look for a dry cell soon. Tomorrow, if the weather is somewhat decent, I plan to change the electrolyte in my electrolyzers. I am planning to dilute the KOH I now have in the units I am running from 8 tsp per gal of distilled water to 1/2 tsp per gallon and test it. I suspect part of my problem may be too much electrolyte causing the alternator to overload and reverse any mpg gains. I also will be disconnecting both battery cables and while disconnected, touch the positive and negative cables to each other to erase any volatile memory the ECU may have retained. If there is any gain, I am on the right track. Then I will look into the dry cell. The next question is what to do with the hundred hho electrolyzers I have already built. Sell them on e-bay maybe? Thanks very much for your help.

8 tsp/gal distilled water is quite a bit. The usual dose is 1 to 3 tsp/gal distilled water. Are you using lab grade KOH or soap grade? What's your EFIE setting? As you experiment with HHO make one change at a time, test it, re-test it, accept it or reject it. You'd be amazed at how simple the solution to a problem can be as long as you keep the system simple. Have you read the docs. section on this board. Either Mike or Rick has an excellent example of how too many changes at once will insure failure. As far as the electrolyzers you've built, assuming they're safe and produce sufficient amounts of HHO, I see no reason why you can't sell them on ebay. If they're garbage, I know you'll do the right thing and recycle the parts , or, throw them in the junk bin with all the other stuff you've tried over the years for your grandson or granddaughter to wonder about in years to come. Good Luck
01-18-2009 04:40 PM