Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A few questions for today
hhagen_1 Offline

Question A few questions for today
My first generator was a 2 plate wet 1/2" apart in a mason jar. Work good but got hot after 2 minutes of running. I use a medical O2 flow meter I got from the wife's sister works great found them on line for about 30 buck. the cell I'm building now is a 11 plate dry cell. I would like to know if the electrolyte using sodium hydroxide would vary on amps. depending on how much I put with distilled water?
I'm also going to use P.W.M. to control amps that I found the plans for on alt-nrg.org witch lets you very the amps., % of duty cycle, and freq. with VR's. . I still have to drill the hole in the plates too and would like input on hole sizes for inlet and outlet.

thanks
hhagen_1
07-27-2012 05:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: A few questions for today
Yes. More KOH = more amps. Up until about 28% (by weight) of KOH, which is the saturation point. Of course, you can use your PWM to adjust the amps too. But given the same duty %, more KOH = more amps.

Most people use 1/4" NPT fittings for inlet and outlet. There are many fittings that use 1/4" NPT, at least in the U.S. You can get them at your local hardware store. These are plenty big enough for the job.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 07:08 AM by mike.)
07-27-2012 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hhagen_1 Offline

(07-27-2012 07:08 AM)mike Wrote:  Yes. More KOH = more amps. Up until about 28% (by weight) of KOH, which is the saturation point. Of course, you can use your PWM to adjust the amps too. But given the same duty %, more KOH = more amps.

Most people use 1/4" NPT fittings for inlet and outlet. There are many fittings that use 1/4" NPT, at least in the U.S. You can get them at your local hardware store. These are plenty big enough for the job.

Thanks Mike I have watched most of your video's on you tube. How big of holes would you suggest for a starting point I can always go bigger if need be.
07-27-2012 05:50 PM
mike Offline

You have me mistaken for someone else. I don't have any youtube videos. But as for holes, if you're going to do 1/4" NPT, there is a specific size drill and tap for that size fitting. Just google on NPT and you'll find the chart somewhere that will tell you the size drill bit you need.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-28-2012 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hhagen_1 Offline

I'm sorry your right I looked them up after I told you that. What I want to know is the size for the lower holes and upper holes for the stainless steel plates inside the cell that the electrolyte goes through. I'm making this from scratch cut the stainless my self and the gaskets. I cut the holes for the 1/4" bolts tonight in the gaskets for the cell. Read on here someone used heat shrink on the bolts for their cell to keep them from arcing sounded like a great idea to me.

Thanks for your quick replies Mike
07-28-2012 08:14 PM
mike Offline

1/4" should be fine.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-29-2012 06:49 AM
hhagen_1 Offline

Thanks Mike I was thinking that but wanted to make sure stainless is a little pricy to mess up. I'm going to drill them today and test out out put and amps if I can find bolts today.
Hey the Saturn has a one wire O2 I'm thinking of building a EFIE after I build the pwm. should I mess with the MAP sensor too?
07-29-2012 08:48 AM
mike Offline

The EFIE should do it for you. Mind you, the MAP Enhancer is easier to build.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-29-2012 10:38 AM