Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AFR (AIR FUEL RATIO) Oxygen sensor
ch0n9 Offline

AFR (AIR FUEL RATIO) Oxygen sensor
I have a Toyota Corolla 2003 that plan to modify with a booster. I have read that EFIE don't work with AFR (AIR FUEL RATIO) Oxygen sensor. I have looked all over manuals and found that the 03 Corolla has "Oxyzen sensor" (incorrectly spelled in manual) resistance HT-+B 11-16 ohms does this means it is an AFR sensor?

I looked at the engine and found a sensor screwed to the exhaust manifold that has four cables two black, a white and a blue. Is this the O2 sensor?

It seems that I have space for a sensor extender. How do I know if I need to use one? would a small resistance in the O2 sensor be enough? or is a combination of the two suggested? or perhaps other modifications?

Also read that HHO could be directed to the fuel line? anyone experimenting with that? http://www.brownsgas.com/allyouneedtokno...rs.html... Interesting.
05-22-2008 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: AFR (AIR FUEL RATIO) Oxygen sensor
I'm pretty sure it's an AFR sensor. To be sure, get a probe on that blue wire and measure the voltage to ground. It'll read either 2.8 volts or 3.3 volts if it's an AFR sensor.

Your handling for AFR sensors can be found in Tuning For Mileage. You can also add o2 extenders found on ebay.

I would also look at tuning my MAF sensor as covered in the same article.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-22-2008 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wildweasel Offline

mike Wrote:I'm pretty sure it's an AFR sensor. To be sure, get a probe on that blue wire and measure the voltage to ground. It'll read either 2.8 volts or 3.3 volts if it's an AFR sensor.

Your handling for AFR sensors can be found in Tuning For Mileage. You can also add o2 extenders found on ebay.

I would also look at tuning my MAF sensor as covered in the same article.

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla, and I believe I have an AFR sensor. When you say to put a probe to the blue wire and measure voltage to ground, is this with the sensor "un-plugged" from the ECU or still plugged in, and does the key need to just "ON" or does the engine need to be running? Thanks for any help.
05-22-2008 03:18 PM
bandit354 Offline

When you measure form the blue wire to ground the engine needs to be running.
05-22-2008 06:28 PM
mike Offline

And the sensor plugged in.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-22-2008 10:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wildweasel Offline

Thanks everyone, I'll give that go and let you know, now I'm off to find an O2 extender.I already have my HHO generator hooked up and ready to go.
05-23-2008 02:52 AM
wildweasel Offline

I was able to purchase a pair of "spark plug non fouler's" at Auto-Zone for $3.99 for the 18mm ones. I had to drill out the bottom of one so the O2 sensor would pass through it. I did take a voltage check on the blue wire as per instructed by Mike (thanks) but I barley got a movement out of the meter set on 10 volts, nothing close to the 2 and 3 volt readings I expected to get for a AFR. Could it be that this is a 4 wire O2 sensor and not an AFR ? Anyway the extender is in place and the HHO generator is hooked up and working, so I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.
05-23-2008 08:28 AM
ch0n9 Offline

Thanks Mike, I was also not able to get a voltage reading at 2 V setting but I was able to get about 4.2 mV. (200m setting). I also got the wiring manual for a 2004 (mine is 2003) it says "heated oxygen sensor" and it has two of them. If this is correct then I'll get an EFIE. Do I need a dual EFIE? or to which one should I hook up the EFIE?

I posted the wiring here http://toyotapr.googlepages.com/home

Wildweasel let me know how it goes with your corolla. I have not yet constructed the HHO generator.. waiting for parts, so I am way behind. Thanks
05-23-2008 10:48 AM
mike Offline

Ok, ch0n9: That appears to be a narrow band oxygen sensor. It even says that you should see voltages between 0 and 1 volt and that it should change over 8 time in 10 seconds. So you'll be fine with an EFIE.

wildweasel: It sounds like you're OK too. But I would feel better about it if you located the signal wire, measured it while the engine is running, and you actually saw the voltages shifting between about .3 and .7 volts. You'd set your meter for 2 volts range for this (unless your meter is auto-ranging). If you're unsure how to locate the signal wire, use the Installation Instructions to help you with this.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-23-2008 04:14 PM
wildweasel Offline

mike Wrote:Ok, ch0n9: That appears to be a narrow band oxygen sensor. It even says that you should see voltages between 0 and 1 volt and that it should change over 8 time in 10 seconds. So you'll be fine with an EFIE.

wildweasel: It sounds like you're OK too. But I would feel better about it if you located the signal wire, measured it while the engine is running, and you actually saw the voltages shifting between about .3 and .7 volts. You'd set your meter for 2 volts range for this (unless your meter is auto-ranging). If you're unsure how to locate the signal wire, use the Installation Instructions to help you with this.

I went to Lowes and purchased a digital meter and put it on the 2 volt scale and I did indeed see voltage shifting between .3 and .7, Thanks Mike, so does this mean I can use an EFIE and also I have the O2 extender in place, should I leave it or remove it? Also for anyone interested , I checked my mileage after 105 miles of city driving and without the HHO cell and the O2 extender I got my normal 30.215 + or -, with both the HHO and O2 extender after the 105.8 miles and a fill up at the same station and same pump, I got 34.328. So something is happening.
05-25-2008 11:21 AM