Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AGS Fuel Vaporizer & Hydrocarbon Cracking System HCS
Handy Offline

Wink RE: AGS Fuel Vaporizer & Hydrocarbon Cracking System HCS
Big GrinHello all. I just wanted to show you my homemade Fuel Vapor system. Just finished it today and I do notice the motor runs much smoother and has more pep. I will be testing mileage later.

So I have pretty much finished my vapor system so here is a few pics for all to see. A little info on what your looking at.

This is the basic system, On the left is my flash arrest and it is filled with 0000 fine steel wool. The vapor bubbler is on the right. I have a old fuel pump screen on the end of the breather tube to diffuse the air coming in as the smaller the bubble the faster it will saturate it.

[Image: 6341645432_eedcff9c24.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211625 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the inside of my bubbler. I have since change it as the bubbles were coming to the top of the screen so I shortened the screen to the very bottom and it works great.

[Image: 6341645416_9a00b46e4d.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211502 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

This is the top of the bubbler. The big brass valve is my intake valve. The other one is my fuel inlet valve so I don't have to fill it anymore. Just open it up a little bit when the motor is running and walla.

[Image: 6341645410_5b16c35e8b.jpg]
IMG_20111112_205908 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the output of the system.

[Image: 6341647826_2c2e317a20.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211917 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is my vapor system in action.

[Image: 6341651876_a631644449.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120309 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is the fuel supply system from the top.

[Image: 6341651882_aef8f159cb.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120344 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a couple of pics of the copper vaporizer.

[Image: 6341651884_a4c8aed9f2.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120358 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

[Image: 6341651894_5559109c63.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120409 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

For those that are curious, I found a used under sink reverse osmosis system and it had a lot of great parts. I also found a perfect vacuum port on the front of my intake that works perfect. Just a little vapor when idle and lots when I have high rpms.

Hope you enjoy. I will post my fuel saving results when I have some more time to drive and fill. I am also going to put some heat tape on the copper wind to keep the heat in.
Wink
11-13-2011 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: AGS Fuel Vaporizer & Hydrocarbon Cracking System HCS
(11-13-2011 02:48 PM)Handy Wrote:  Big GrinHello all. I just wanted to show you my homemade Fuel Vapor system. Just finished it today and I do notice the motor runs much smoother and has more pep. I will be testing mileage later.

So I have pretty much finished my vapor system so here is a few pics for all to see. A little info on what your looking at.

This is the basic system, On the left is my flash arrest and it is filled with 0000 fine steel wool. The vapor bubbler is on the right. I have a old fuel pump screen on the end of the breather tube to diffuse the air coming in as the smaller the bubble the faster it will saturate it.

[Image: 6341645432_eedcff9c24.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211625 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the inside of my bubbler. I have since change it as the bubbles were coming to the top of the screen so I shortened the screen to the very bottom and it works great.

[Image: 6341645416_9a00b46e4d.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211502 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

This is the top of the bubbler. The big brass valve is my intake valve. The other one is my fuel inlet valve so I don't have to fill it anymore. Just open it up a little bit when the motor is running and walla.

[Image: 6341645410_5b16c35e8b.jpg]
IMG_20111112_205908 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the output of the system.

[Image: 6341647826_2c2e317a20.jpg]
IMG_20111112_211917 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is my vapor system in action.

[Image: 6341651876_a631644449.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120309 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is the fuel supply system from the top.

[Image: 6341651882_aef8f159cb.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120344 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

Here is a couple of pics of the copper vaporizer.

[Image: 6341651884_a4c8aed9f2.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120358 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

[Image: 6341651894_5559109c63.jpg]
IMG_20111113_120409 by Handycomp1957, on Flickr

For those that are curious, I found a used under sink reverse osmosis system and it had a lot of great parts. I also found a perfect vacuum port on the front of my intake that works perfect. Just a little vapor when idle and lots when I have high rpms.

Hope you enjoy. I will post my fuel saving results when I have some more time to drive and fill. I am also going to put some heat tape on the copper wind to keep the heat in.
Wink

What is the source of your fuel? High pressure/schrader valve or low pressure?
How do you control the fuel level in the RO tank so as to always keep the right level and not over fill the tank?
Does the copper "heater" heat liquid or vapor?
What kind of car do you have?
What state- any smog problems?
What is the purpose of the membrane filter?
What is the source of your "air"?
Is this inline to your PCV line?
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 08:17 PM by rpatzer.)
11-13-2011 08:14 PM
Thor Offline

The vaporizer isn't a bubbler like the one you show - it does what the auto makers should have been doing a long time ago. Thats, calibrating fuel with the right system to do it with - http://www.agsvaporizermpg.com is the website to see what I mean. They also have another one that has a slightly different design but, its called the vaporizer GLS.

Yours looks like a "time consuming - parts-necessary" design and quite alot to install under your hood in comparison. I could be wrong but, it does look like alot of devices mimicing the AGS Vaporizer single unit to install as a system. Yours doesn't look simple enough to install ... but, I do hope it works for you - thanks for sharing.
11-14-2011 03:00 PM
Handy Offline

What is the source of your fuel? High pressure/schrader valve or low pressure?
How do you control the fuel level in the RO tank so as to always keep the right level and not over fill the tank?
Does the copper "heater" heat liquid or vapor?
What kind of car do you have?
What state- any smog problems?
What is the purpose of the membrane filter?
What is the source of your "air"?
Is this inline to your PCV line?
[/quote]

Ok so the source of my fuel is the high pressure fuel intake to the injector. As to how I keep it at the right level. I just open the hood while it is running and open the valve a little way as to not drop the line pressure and cut the engine. When it is up to the level I want then I just close the valve. The copper is only heating vapor. I have a 1990 Geo Metro XFI with a EFIE. I live in AZ and no I don't have any smog here. The membrane is just hollow and filled with 0000 steel wool as a flash arrest. The source of air is open air coming from the large brass valve on the right side of the bubbler. The vacuum is coming from my intake just above the manifold.

Hope this helps.
(11-14-2011 03:00 PM)Thor Wrote:  The vaporizer isn't a bubbler like the one you show - it does what the auto makers should have been doing a long time ago. Thats, calibrating fuel with the right system to do it with - http://www.agsvaporizermpg.com is the website to see what I mean. They also have another one that has a slightly different design but, its called the vaporizer GLS.

Yours looks like a "time consuming - parts-necessary" design and quite alot to install under your hood in comparison. I could be wrong but, it does look like alot of devices mimicing the AGS Vaporizer single unit to install as a system. Yours doesn't look simple enough to install ... but, I do hope it works for you - thanks for sharing.

I actually had never seen the device you pointed to and it is indeed a little different. Yes you are right. Mine is a little more complex than the other one and I had to use parts that were available to me at the time. It works as I wanted and I'm pretty happy with it.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2011 04:10 PM by Handy.)
11-14-2011 04:03 PM
rpatzer Offline

So you manually fill the "jar" and then shut it off at your desired level. So about how many miles can you run before it is all used up? You are not set up to have a constant level of new gas? So if I took a 500 mile trip, how many times would I have go get out and fill that "jar" up again? How would I know when it was time to refill?

I built a home made unit/bubbler with a float device inside the jar to keep the level full, but there was always some residual that didn't vaporize. Do you have the same issue and if so what do you do with the liquid that doesn't vaporize?
11-14-2011 10:35 PM
Handy Offline

(11-14-2011 10:35 PM)rpatzer Wrote:  So you manually fill the "jar" and then shut it off at your desired level. So about how many miles can you run before it is all used up? You are not set up to have a constant level of new gas? So if I took a 500 mile trip, how many times would I have go get out and fill that "jar" up again? How would I know when it was time to refill?

I built a home made unit/bubbler with a float device inside the jar to keep the level full, but there was always some residual that didn't vaporize. Do you have the same issue and if so what do you do with the liquid that doesn't vaporize?

Well at this point I have not gotten that far as I have not been able to take any long trips since I just finished it the day before yesterday. But Hopefully I will get a feel for it. As for the left over residue. Not sure as I have not run into that problem yet.
11-15-2011 06:46 AM
rpatzer Offline

Handy- I was thinking about your system. If you have a high pressure source of fuel and a low pressure return line, it seems to me you can drill an overflow hole in the side of your "filter" and use that to return any fuel above that hole to the low pressure return line. That way, your "filter" will never become too full and then you could keep a constant flow of fuel to your system. Also, I think there might be residual fuel that will not vaporize. I think you could also drill a small hole in the bottom of your "filter" and again use that to feed into your low pressure return line. You could put valves on all lines and adjusted so that when the car is turned off, any additional gas under pressure will not overload it and slightly open up the bottom valve so when the car is turned off, the "filter" will completely drain drain out, taking care of that residual, if it occurs, gas that doesn't vaporize. Your fuel source would be open enough to keep the "filter" full when operational.
As far as the vacuum source, it seems to me your want your highest vacuum in cruise mode. That would seem to allow the computer to use the least gas.
Right now it seems your vacuum is set for power and not cruise.
I am thinking of doing the same for my 97 Accord.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2011 09:31 AM by rpatzer.)
11-15-2011 09:29 AM
Handy Offline

Wink RE: AGS Fuel Vaporizer & Hydrocarbon Cracking System HCS
Hello rpatzer and thank you for your response. The only thing that I see that would cause a problem is when you feed it back to the tank you lose your vacuum for the bubbler, so that would not work. I think your right about the denser gasses not vaporizing and I will have to come up with a solution for that. As for the vacuum, it definitely works best when I'm cruising and I do have better power at the same time. In a matter of fact I notice my extra power most when I'm on the freeway. I just happened to take a trip yesterday and drove 270 miles round trip. The bubbler used about 1 1/2 cups of gas for the whole trip. I thought that was pretty good. The bummer side is that I did not get any better millage. So the end result right now is better power on the hwy but not better mileage. I still have some things I will be trying as to tuning how much vapor it takes up. It will take some time to get it just right. Also I took exhaust pipe putty and covered all the copper coil so that it would keep the heat. Very good luck on your design and I look forward to seeing it. Cool
11-16-2011 07:21 PM
rpatzer Offline

Handy- I thought that return valve might mess with the vacuum. Back to the drawing board.
I believe you said you are heating vapor. I think that once you have vapor, you don't need to heat it. What is the advantage of heating vapor?
11-16-2011 11:44 PM
amos33 Offline

My only recommendation is to never use fine steel wool, it can ignite; use fine brass wool instead. Looks like a clever invention, stay safe...

I am a Christian
11-17-2011 05:46 AM