Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Acetone & Xylol additives to fuel
CAG Offline

RE: Acetone & Xylol additives to fuel
doitagain Wrote:I've tried the Acetone/Xylene mix in my 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L V-8 now for about a month. I have the Hypertec power programm installed on this engine so that I can run 87 octane fuel. Before ethanol, I woulkd get 20 - 21 mpg on the highway, at 65 mph, and 18 -19.5 mpg in average daily driving.
After ethanol, my mileage dropped by about 2 mpg overall.

Is your truck a flex-fuel vehicle or are you running ethanol in a regular gas engine? I've read about people adding around 30-40%
E-85 in non-flex vehicles. Actual results from Acetone/Xylene in a newer vehicle are encouraging. Think I might try it.

Remember, once you let the smoke out of the wires, you can't ever get it back in !
11-21-2008 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doitagain Offline

CAG Wrote:
doitagain Wrote:I've tried the Acetone/Xylene mix in my 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L V-8 now for about a month. I have the Hypertec power programm installed on this engine so that I can run 87 octane fuel. Before ethanol, I woulkd get 20 - 21 mpg on the highway, at 65 mph, and 18 -19.5 mpg in average daily driving.
After ethanol, my mileage dropped by about 2 mpg overall.

Is your truck a flex-fuel vehicle or are you running ethanol in a regular gas engine? I've read about people adding around 30-40%
E-85 in non-flex vehicles. Actual results from Acetone/Xylene in a newer vehicle are encouraging. Think I might try it.

No, the truck is a "regular" gas engine, not a flexfuel. I'm just talking about the "up to 10% ethanol enriched" gasoline that you get everywhere. I lost "up to 10%" in mileage when they started putting it in all the gas here in Tennessee. It looks like the acetone/xylene/mystery marvel oil mix brought it back to where it was .
I thought about trying the "premium fuel" program on my Hypertec unit to see what happens with the mixture. Anyone out there tried this??
11-22-2008 10:54 AM
joe38socalif Offline

The truth about the fuels Acetone and Ethanol
By Steve D. Gage

A report of independent testing, done January through
June of 2008.

My thanks to Mr. Louis LaPointe, who was brave enough to begin the Internet controversy over the use of alcohol and acetone as fuels or fuel additives. If it were not for his guts to publicly challenge the government, oil companies and auto manufacturers,
I would have never known, or even investigated what he proposed.

Based on Mr. Lapointe's writings and data on the Internet, there truly are ONLY two possibilities:

Either

1] Any or all of the entities mentioned above do know the secret to clean emissions AND high MPG, achieved SIMULTANEOUSLY and are withholding it, in order to make more money off the public.

Or

2] All three entities are too stupid to figure it out.

That debate belongs in another arena, not here.
I am simply reporting the data I have uncovered
and tested in the last few months, which gave
DRAMATIC results.

Point 1]

Both acetone and ethanol molecules contain one atom of Oxygen and 6 atoms of Hydrogen. They are both considered as "Oxygenated" fuels, because of the Oxygen atom in both.
Ethanol is mandated by the Federal Government to be used as an additive to gasoline in order to lower emissions. The decision as to this being done, and at what percentages of ethanol to add is left to individual states.
It is a fact that ethanol lowers emissions. The explanation for this effect being the Oxygen atom in the molecule.

Point 2]

Both Acetone and Ethanol have incredibly high EVAPORATION rates. Gasoline has a low evaporation rate in comparison.
All liquids evaporate at different rates.
When a liquid evaporates it COOLS the air it is in contact with. This is why when on a hot day, if you get close to a stream or river, you will feel the air temperature drop around it.
When air is cooled, it CONDENSES.

Point 3]

Via the EXTREME cooling of the air going into the intake of an engine, by both Acetone and Ethanol, MUCH more air in pounds is taken into the cylinders. Condensation of air means more of it is compressed into each stroke of the intake.
This results in a LEANER mixture of fuel:air in the combustion.
This leaner, highly Oxygenated mixture is what actually causes a drop in emissions of Hydrocarbons and CO.

Point 4]

Simply adding either Acetone or Ethanol will result in worse and worse MPG. This is caused by the extra O2 in the fuel:air ratio. The more you use the more the MPG will decline.
The idea that simply using ethanol is good for the environment, and creates less emissions, is INCORRECT. The strongest ethanol fuel on the market is known as "E85". It is 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol. Yes, it reduces emissions, BUT GIVES 20% LESS MPG than gasoline, thus giving an overall reduction in emissions PER MILE, which is near null.

Point 5]

Acetone produces much greater condensation of air than Ethanol, via the faster evaporation rate, thus MPG drops MUCH faster as the percentage of acetone(Oz):gasoline(Gal) is increased.
The negative effect on MPG of both Acetone and Ethanol, can be REVERSED, in order cause an INCREASE in MPG over gasoline, with acetone being needed in much smaller amounts than ethanol, and at much less cost.

Point 6]
"The Secret"

[The potential increase in MPG of Ethanol has not been tested by me]

Test results from January to June, 2008:

Test car: 1985 Ford T-Bird 5.0L V8
Epa MPG rating: 15 city, 22 highway.

Emissions test using pure 87 octane gasoline resulted in Hydrocarbons of 190ppm at idle. Fail is 220ppm. O2 was 1.5%. This was suggestive of a small exhaust leak, which the O2 sensor read and richened fuel:air ratio a little too much.

Emissions test using 1 oz of Acetone to 1 gal. of gasoline resulted in Hydrocarbons dropping to 111ppm at idle. O2 at 1.5%.
Hwy. test with this mixture resulted in 23.5mpg. According to data on the internet, at this very high amount of acetone, MPG should have dropped far below factory. That it actually got slightly better than factory gave away the secret. The slight exhaust leak had richened the mixture of fuel:air and caused a SLIGHT utilization of the acetone.

I saw that the O2 sensor played a part in my results. What I did next was create an INTENTIONAL slight exhaust leak, in front of the sensor to increase O2 in exaust, to cause the computer to richen it even more. [leak causes sucking in of fresh air].
Emissions test resulted in increase of Hydrocarbons from the previous 111ppm to 144ppm at idle. O2 went from 1.5% up to 5.2%
Noticable increase in HP of at least 25%.
Multiple hwy. tests revealed 45mpg.
This is slightly more than a 100% increase over factory.

Tested at .7oz. per gal. MPG went down to 41mpg.

Tested at 2 oz. per gal. MPG went down to 30mpg.

By process of elimination, the best acetone mix for my current fuel:air richness is around 1oz. per gal.

The secret, known to racing technology, banned and forgotten half a century ago, is that fuels such as acetone REQUIRE richening of the fuel:air mixture to make use of them. It is said that in those early days of racing, some used as much as 10% acetone additive. I am using less than 1%. Specifically 1:128.(Oz)

With my emissons at slightly cleaner than gasoline, but my MPG at double what it was, a REAL REDUCTION IN EMISSIONS has been achieved. Fully 50% reduction.
The recent G8 summit set the goal of reducing emissions by 50% by the year 2050.
President Bush has signed in to law the requirement for vehicles to get 37mpg by 2020.

We have the technology RIGHT NOW to achieve this IMEDIATELY.

Reprograming auto computers is already possible and programs and devices are on the market to do so.

A simple solution for the do it yourself mechanic, until the use of the technology becomes afordable, and the additives are at the pump, is to TRICK your O2 sensors into making the computer richen. This can be done by either creating an exaust leak in front of the sensor, or by removing the sensor from the exhaust and letting it read pure aptmosphere, which is 20.9% O2.
The latter will richen mixture to MAXIMUM allowing the most acetone possible and the most HP AND MPG. I have not tried the latter and do not know how well it would work or to what level of increase in HP and MPG might be possible. Try this at YOUR OWN RISK.

Note:

New vehicles will FAIL EMISSIONS TESTS if too much O2 is reported by the computer. So make your exhaust leak sealable and reseal it for your test. If you remove sensor, simply replace for test.

Environmental impact of acetone is far less than an oil spill.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone#Env...al_Effects

Brand I used is Kleen Strip.
I have tested no other brand.
Bought by the gallon, price is about
$17.00

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
11-28-2008 10:44 AM
Delray Dude Offline

joe38socalif Wrote:Emissions test resulted in increase of Hydrocarbons from the previous 111ppm to 144ppm at idle. O2 went from 1.5% up to 5.2%

By process of elimination, the best acetone mix for my current fuel:air richness is around 1oz. per gal.

Interesting. I filled up last night, so I shut off my HHO, and am trying the 1 oz to 1 gallon, as I put 15 OZ of Acetone in my tank. I'll see what kinda numbers I get - seeing that I was doing the 1 oz per 3 gallons.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
12-04-2008 04:30 AM
fixityourselfer Offline

1998 volvo s70 t5 turbo.

added 3 oz acetone /10 gallons gas.
didn't see gains on the first tank,(don't know why!!) but soon began to see a 2mpg gain. switched to 2oz acetone+1 oz xylene and saw an increase of about 3.5 mpg at highway speeds.

highway record high before additives: 37 mpg @ 53mph tires @ 36psi
highway record w3oz ac.+3oz xylene: 41.1 mpg @ 55mph tires@43psi

i think the 41mpg # is amazing. my car's epa highway is 25.
however, my tires were at 43 psi and I removed the "toe". thats why i say my gain from the additives was about 3.5 mpg.

i've never done a test with the tires @ 43 w/o additives, but i don't think the high tire pressure adds more than 1 mpg over the recommended 36psi.

otherwise when gas hits $4/gallon everyone would simply put their tires to 50lbs!

am planning to try 2oz acetone + 2oz xylene next. stay tuned
05-25-2009 08:07 PM
visek Offline

No advantage to going over sidewall max?

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/tire-press...stance.htm
05-26-2009 02:47 AM
amos33 Offline

(11-28-2008 10:44 AM)joe38socalif Wrote:  The truth about the fuels Acetone and Ethanol
By Steve D. Gage

A report of independent testing, done January through
June of 2008.

My thanks to Mr. Louis LaPointe, who was brave enough to begin the Internet controversy over the use of alcohol and acetone as fuels or fuel additives. If it were not for his guts to publicly challenge the government, oil companies and auto manufacturers,
I would have never known, or even investigated what he proposed.

Based on Mr. Lapointe's writings and data on the Internet, there truly are ONLY two possibilities:

Either

1] Any or all of the entities mentioned above do know the secret to clean emissions AND high MPG, achieved SIMULTANEOUSLY and are withholding it, in order to make more money off the public.

Or

2] All three entities are too stupid to figure it out.

That debate belongs in another arena, not here.
I am simply reporting the data I have uncovered
and tested in the last few months, which gave
DRAMATIC results.

Point 1]

Both acetone and ethanol molecules contain one atom of Oxygen and 6 atoms of Hydrogen. They are both considered as "Oxygenated" fuels, because of the Oxygen atom in both.
Ethanol is mandated by the Federal Government to be used as an additive to gasoline in order to lower emissions. The decision as to this being done, and at what percentages of ethanol to add is left to individual states.
It is a fact that ethanol lowers emissions. The explanation for this effect being the Oxygen atom in the molecule.

Point 2]

Both Acetone and Ethanol have incredibly high EVAPORATION rates. Gasoline has a low evaporation rate in comparison.
All liquids evaporate at different rates.
When a liquid evaporates it COOLS the air it is in contact with. This is why when on a hot day, if you get close to a stream or river, you will feel the air temperature drop around it.
When air is cooled, it CONDENSES.

Point 3]

Via the EXTREME cooling of the air going into the intake of an engine, by both Acetone and Ethanol, MUCH more air in pounds is taken into the cylinders. Condensation of air means more of it is compressed into each stroke of the intake.
This results in a LEANER mixture of fuel:air in the combustion.
This leaner, highly Oxygenated mixture is what actually causes a drop in emissions of Hydrocarbons and CO.

Point 4]

Simply adding either Acetone or Ethanol will result in worse and worse MPG. This is caused by the extra O2 in the fuel:air ratio. The more you use the more the MPG will decline.
The idea that simply using ethanol is good for the environment, and creates less emissions, is INCORRECT. The strongest ethanol fuel on the market is known as "E85". It is 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol. Yes, it reduces emissions, BUT GIVES 20% LESS MPG than gasoline, thus giving an overall reduction in emissions PER MILE, which is near null.

Point 5]

Acetone produces much greater condensation of air than Ethanol, via the faster evaporation rate, thus MPG drops MUCH faster as the percentage of acetone(Oz):gasoline(Gal) is increased.
The negative effect on MPG of both Acetone and Ethanol, can be REVERSED, in order cause an INCREASE in MPG over gasoline, with acetone being needed in much smaller amounts than ethanol, and at much less cost.

Point 6]
"The Secret"

[The potential increase in MPG of Ethanol has not been tested by me]

Test results from January to June, 2008:

Test car: 1985 Ford T-Bird 5.0L V8
Epa MPG rating: 15 city, 22 highway.

Emissions test using pure 87 octane gasoline resulted in Hydrocarbons of 190ppm at idle. Fail is 220ppm. O2 was 1.5%. This was suggestive of a small exhaust leak, which the O2 sensor read and richened fuel:air ratio a little too much.

Emissions test using 1 oz of Acetone to 1 gal. of gasoline resulted in Hydrocarbons dropping to 111ppm at idle. O2 at 1.5%.
Hwy. test with this mixture resulted in 23.5mpg. According to data on the internet, at this very high amount of acetone, MPG should have dropped far below factory. That it actually got slightly better than factory gave away the secret. The slight exhaust leak had richened the mixture of fuel:air and caused a SLIGHT utilization of the acetone.

I saw that the O2 sensor played a part in my results. What I did next was create an INTENTIONAL slight exhaust leak, in front of the sensor to increase O2 in exaust, to cause the computer to richen it even more. [leak causes sucking in of fresh air].
Emissions test resulted in increase of Hydrocarbons from the previous 111ppm to 144ppm at idle. O2 went from 1.5% up to 5.2%

The secret, known to racing technology, banned and forgotten half a century ago, is that fuels such as acetone REQUIRE richening of the fuel:air mixture to make use of them. It is said that in those early days of racing, some used as much as 10% acetone additive. I am using less than 1%. Specifically 1:128.(Oz)

With my emissons at slightly cleaner than gasoline, but my MPG at double what it was, a REAL REDUCTION IN EMISSIONS has been achieved. Fully 50% reduction.
The recent G8 summit set the goal of reducing emissions by 50% by the year 2050.
President Bush has signed in to law the requirement for vehicles to get 37mpg by 2020.

We have the technology RIGHT NOW to achieve this IMEDIATELY.

Reprograming auto computers is already possible and programs and devices are on the market to do so.

A simple solution for the do it yourself mechanic, until the use of the technology becomes afordable, and the additives are at the pump, is to TRICK your O2 sensors into making the computer richen. This can be done by either creating an exaust leak in front of the sensor, or by removing the sensor from the exhaust and letting it read pure aptmosphere, which is 20.9% O2.
The latter will richen mixture to MAXIMUM allowing the most acetone possible and the most HP AND MPG. I have not tried the latter and do not know how well it would work or to what level of increase in HP and MPG might be possible. Try this at YOUR OWN RISK.

Note:

New vehicles will FAIL EMISSIONS TESTS if too much O2 is reported by the computer. So make your exhaust leak sealable and reseal it for your test. If you remove sensor, simply replace for test.

Environmental impact of acetone is far less than an oil spill.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone#Env...al_Effects

Brand I used is Kleen Strip.
I have tested no other brand.
Bought by the gallon, price is about
$17.00

or use HHO to offset the bad effects of Ethanol and save the corn crops.
we cannot defeat an established industry like farming and the subsidies attendant but we can improve the quality of the fuels by adding to the combustion mixture.

I am a Christian
05-15-2012 07:08 AM
bsmart Offline

Will the same result occur by disconnecting the O2 sensors and letting the CPU operate 'open loop'?
05-25-2012 02:32 PM
bsmart Offline

OK, so the idea being presented here is...........defeat the O2 sensors, or expose them to the atmosphere outside the exhaust pipe, and put 1oz. Acetone per gallon fuel in the tank, and expect a big improvement in mpg gains?

Why not buy an extra set of O2 sensors, strap them to the under carriage of the vehicle (exposed to atmosphere) disconnect the O2 sensors in the exhaust pipe and connect their cables to the O2 sensors strapped under the vehicle? Leave the O2 sensors in the pipes to keep the system intact and they can be easily reconnected for inspections later if necessary. Why wouldn't this work?
06-04-2012 10:01 AM
vortexor Offline

I put acetone in my 3.5hp electric generator.
The attempts where made many times, always with the same 95 octane fuel.
mixed it 1:800.
Under the same load conditions it consumes 24% less fuel per hour.

Big differences in the behaviour of the engine:
- runs much smoother with a clearer sound
- less exhaust gases, no smell of fuel (i will made an emission test in the next weeks)
- The outlet valve is cleaner than before the use of acetone

best regards, vortexor
09-04-2013 01:11 AM