Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Acid-eaten Air Filter repair
Gary Offline

Acid-eaten Air Filter repair
My filter points down to capture rising gas from the electrolyzer, but blowing out the tube under the car, I'd blown NaOH into the filter...and didn't know it had eaten away the filter material, leaving just wire underneath.
Five coats of Plasti-Dip later, it's a filter again. A country boy can survive:

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2009 05:16 PM by Gary.)
07-15-2009 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrbillr Offline

RE: Acid-eaten Air Filter repair
(07-15-2009 05:13 PM)Gary Wrote:  My filter points down to capture rising gas from the electrolyzer, but blowing out the tube under the car, I'd blown NaOH into the filter...and didn't know it had eaten away the filter material, leaving just wire underneath.
Five coats of Plasti-Dip later, it's a filter again. A country boy can survive:

So basically, you plugged up the area the paper filter material was eaten away and the existing paper area is still doing the flitering for you. A little less fliter surface area now, but a whole lot better that the wire area only filtering twigs and rocks. You just got to keep the plati-dip area on the bottom so the acid only works on the plasti-dip area now.
Great idea to help this filter cripple along a little longer.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
07-19-2009 06:17 AM
Gary Offline

Well, hopefully I'll be smart enough to remove the tube next time!
07-19-2009 03:10 PM
bsmart Offline

Gary, can you explain your 1st post in this thread. Why are you blowing NaOH onto the air filter ? What is going under the car that needs to be blown out ? What type of electrolyzer are you referring to .......HHO or H2 ???
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2009 09:12 AM by bsmart.)
07-20-2009 09:11 AM
Gary Offline

hmmm...verily I assume much.
H2 didn't work out - too problematic and others weren't getting gains either, so it's HHO for me.
The unit is in the trunk, the hose goes under the car to the bubbler, which feeds a copper heating tube over the manifold, then into the intake.
The check valve that is supposed to keep the vinegar in the bubbler and NOT let it run back into the hose under the car leaks back a bit after a while and I have to blow out the tube once it fills up. (every couple months)
But forgetting to take it out of the intake blows NaOH into the plenum and it runs back out the filter, destroying it.
Death by Dummy.
07-20-2009 02:21 PM
COMP Offline

(07-20-2009 02:21 PM)Gary Wrote:  hmmm...verily I assume much.
H2 didn't work out - too problematic and others weren't getting gains either, so it's HHO for me.
The unit is in the trunk, the hose goes under the car to the bubbler, which feeds a copper heating tube over the manifold, then into the intake.
The check valve that is supposed to keep the vinegar in the bubbler and NOT let it run back into the hose under the car leaks back a bit after a while and I have to blow out the tube once it fills up. (every couple months)
But forgetting to take it out of the intake blows NaOH into the plenum and it runs back out the filter, destroying it.
Death by Dummy.

was that cotton filter ?
08-08-2009 11:06 AM
Gary Offline

Cotton? Never saw a cotton filter before. It's just like the mesh and fiber K&N filters, just bought on Fleabay.
08-08-2009 03:13 PM
COMP Offline

(08-08-2009 03:13 PM)Gary Wrote:  Cotton? Never saw a cotton filter before. It's just like the mesh and fiber K&N filters, just bought on Fleabay.

yep my K&N filters are a cotton gauze
08-08-2009 03:42 PM
bsmart Offline

Lets see if I understand this setup correctly. Your HHO electrolyzer is in the trunk. You route the gas to the engine compartment via a long tube. That tube becomes a copper tubing that routes across the manifold to 'warm/dry' the gas. The gas is sent thru a 'bubbler' jar??? then routed to the air filter box. What is the purpose of the bubbler jar ??
(08-10-2009 09:20 AM)bsmart Wrote:  Lets see if I understand this setup correctly. Your HHO electrolyzer is in the trunk. You route the gas to the engine compartment via a long tube. That tube becomes a copper tubing that routes across the manifold to 'warm/dry' the gas. The gas is sent thru a 'bubbler' jar??? then routed to the air filter box. What is the purpose of the bubbler jar ?? Why does it have vinegar in it ???
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2009 09:22 AM by bsmart.)
08-10-2009 09:20 AM
Gary Offline

Bubblers are basic HHO 101 stuff. They keep any sparks that escape into the intake manifold from flash firing the HHO gas coming in all the way back to the hydrolizer and blowing it up. The bubbler top pops off and you're okay in case of a pop. The vinegar is to neutralize any acid that is pumped up from the unit, so that any vapors or spitting to the engine isn't caustic. Engines have aluminum heads, pistons, etc. and NaOH EATS aluminum very fast.
08-10-2009 01:06 PM