Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Acrylic Glue?
rudagray Offline
Collaboration is the Key to Success!

Acrylic Glue?
I've seen the #16 stuff mentioned here somewhere, but wondering can I use Silcone Caulk or Marine Goop as I already have that?

Always remember there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so don't cross it.
Wile E. Coyote never learned and he was a SUPER GENIUS! Roadrunner made him insane.
If all great minds thought alike, we'd get nowhere, the differences can make us all prosper.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2008 07:07 AM by rudagray.)
09-30-2008 07:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
howiemandel Offline

RE: Acrylic Glue?
i used marine goop. works but only if you really use it well. if you flub a spot it will leak. I know that goes without saying, but i mean this stuff is your marginal somewheres its gonna leak. I kinda dont like it to be honest.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2008 07:20 AM by howiemandel.)
09-30-2008 07:15 AM
rnotme Offline

rudagray Wrote:I've seen the #16 stuff mentioned here somewhere, but wondering can I use Silcone Caulk or Marine Goop as I already have that?

If your going to want a leak proof container made of of Plexiglas the best thing to use is Weld-On #16 or #3. If the edges are prepped right (i.e. Sanding and scraping) it will form an unbreakable bond that will withstand thermal stressing.

I normally use Weld-On #3,which is water thin, and anneal the edges in a shallow pan prior to fit up. It does take a lot of prep work to sand the edges super smooth,but what you end up with is a bond that is as strong as the plex itself. #3 sets up super fast and will achieve full strength in about 2-3 hours depending on the weather.

#16 is good for very small gaps,but huge saw marks won't cut it as the adhesive really doesn't "bridge" gaps that well. The best and strongest glue joints are the ones that are crystal clear with no bubbles in them.
09-30-2008 07:56 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

Silicone is a good product but never use it where it will see constant exposure to water (i.e., submersed). Believe it or not, water will break down the silicone not to mention the affects the electrolyte might have on it as well.

As Howie said, Marine GOOP is good but takes awhile to fully cure. If you want to try something over-the-counter, use their Automotive GOOP. It has a faster flash point which yields quicker drying times.
09-30-2008 08:16 AM
finallyME Offline

Where do you get Weld-on #16 or #3?

My vehicles:
2002 Saturn SL2 4 banger
2006 Chrysler Town and Country

You can kill two birds with one stone, but you can't kill one stone with two birds. Big Grin
09-30-2008 09:19 AM
rnotme Offline

finallyME Wrote:Where do you get Weld-on #16 or #3?

You can get it from a Plastics supply house in whatever area you are living in. Most small to semi large cities have at least 2-3 suppliers.

You can order it online,but due to the fact that there are Hazmat issues the only way you can get it is by UPS/FedEx ground.

#16 is a good choice for first time users as #3 does take some talent to use properly because in some applications you need to use a "Hypo Injector"
(Its a squeeze bottle with a hypo needle on it) to inject the adhesive into the joint.

Also, #3 is illegal to use in Los Angeles because of the "Clean air act" or something to that effect. You'd have to use #4 instead.

I've done A LOT of Plexiglas work and if anyone needs help/hints or info feel free to PM me.
09-30-2008 09:41 AM
rudagray Offline
Collaboration is the Key to Success!

While I'm asking and other's might be wondering- what about PVC cement...or will that not chemically react with acrylic to make the bond???

Before I go out and buy the right stuff, just wondering if I can use something I already have, but now you got me thinking...Wink

Always remember there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so don't cross it.
Wile E. Coyote never learned and he was a SUPER GENIUS! Roadrunner made him insane.
If all great minds thought alike, we'd get nowhere, the differences can make us all prosper.
09-30-2008 09:57 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

PVC cement is designed specifically for polyvinyl chloride products. I don't think it will work for polymethyl methacrylate (a.k.a. plexiglass). To different materials.

You can use PVC cement but the bond will take sometime to cure and the acrylic will haze over. Plus, the bond will be very weak.

Again, I'd try the Automotive GOOP for a relatively quick set time and strong bond.
09-30-2008 01:08 PM
rnotme Offline

cjpeaceful Wrote:PVC cement is designed specifically for polyvinyl chloride products. I don't think it will work for polymethyl methacrylate (a.k.a. plexiglass). To different materials.

Correct. PVC cement won't even bond Plex together as they are two completely different polymers. Plex will just haze over and that's about all it will do.

I apologize to everyone if I seem to be harping on this issue,but if you want an enclosure that will probably out last the car your putting it into,ya gotta do the job right the first time.

I've seen a myriad of ways that people have tried to lay up plex, including using Model glues, super glue,epoxies,gorilla glue and ABS cement, and the results were always complete failures if it had to hold a liquid or a small bit of pressure. Catastrophic failures ensued if there was any amount of Heat or UV exposure involved.

Like I said earlier, I have a lot of experience with plastics,and not just plex. I've welded (yep..that's right,welded) ABS,PVC, Polycarbonate and Plexiglas.
09-30-2008 01:41 PM
jjb2888 Offline

rnotme Wrote:
cjpeaceful Wrote:PVC cement is designed specifically for polyvinyl chloride products. I don't think it will work for polymethyl methacrylate (a.k.a. plexiglass). To different materials.

Correct. PVC cement won't even bond Plex together as they are two completely different polymers. Plex will just haze over and that's about all it will do.

I apologize to everyone if I seem to be harping on this issue,but if you want an enclosure that will probably out last the car your putting it into,ya gotta do the job right the first time.

I've seen a myriad of ways that people have tried to lay up plex, including using Model glues, super glue,epoxies,gorilla glue and ABS cement, and the results were always complete failures if it had to hold a liquid or a small bit of pressure. Catastrophic failures ensued if there was any amount of Heat or UV exposure involved.

Like I said earlier, I have a lot of experience with plastics,and not just plex. I've welded (yep..that's right,welded) ABS,PVC, Polycarbonate and Plexiglas.

Now thats what I want to get into welding the plastic no glue. Any tips
09-30-2008 02:20 PM