Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Actual Reading of O2 Sensor?
dale Offline

Actual Reading of O2 Sensor?
Hi guys:

I like to understand that which I am working on.

I have researched the above, and have concluded that the O2 sensor does not measure the actual chemical Oxygen. But rather, what engineers determine the temperature of the sensor is when it is getting X mix of air-fuel.

Please let me know if this is what you have found to be true? Understanding this should help to understand HHO benefits.

Thx,
Dale
07-20-2008 04:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: Actual Reading of O2 Sensor?
dale- what the O2 sensor is actually measuring is the O2 content in the exhaust compared to the O2 content in the air outside of the vehicle. That is why the O2 sensor breathes. It uses the external measurement as a norm/base and that determines whether the combustion has added too much O2 or not and the adjustments are made accordingly.
The reason why the O2 content is important is because that extra O2 then combines with N to form Oxides of Nitrogen in 3 different forms. N2O, NO2, N2O2.
The leaner the burn, the hotter the temp and the more O2 is produced, the more O+N etc.
Hondas Insight got around that with their lean burn engine by adding a second cat to handle the extra N Oxides.
07-20-2008 07:24 AM
dale Offline

Hi:

Yes, I realize that is what it's suppose to measure. But just because the engineers say that's what it does, does not mean that it is actual. IE: Does it actually break down elemental exhaust into it's components and read only the O2? How could it when to get a spectrophotometer in a lab to do that, costs many 1000's of dollars?

Or have the engineers just determined the heat rise in a certain air/fuel mix, and are actually reading it as compared to the outside air temperature?

This is important if we are to understand burning HHO. Has anyone poven to themselves what the O2 sensor actaully reads?

Thx,
Dale
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2008 05:15 AM by dale.)
07-20-2008 03:31 PM
porkchop Offline

Hey Guys ,

Does anybody know whats a safe reading of the o2 sensor , so we don't burn our pistons ? What's the safe number ? Mine reads in mil. volts . 0.0-500mv's burns LEAN , 500 mv's 1000 burns RICH and that's with scan tool on a 92 s-10 blazer .
07-21-2008 08:15 PM
Atfab Offline

porkchop Wrote:Hey Guys ,

Does anybody know whats a safe reading of the o2 sensor , so we don't burn our pistons ? What's the safe number ? Mine reads in mil. volts . 0.0-500mv's burns LEAN , 500 mv's 1000 burns RICH and that's with scan tool on a 92 s-10 blazer .

Most narrow band 02 sensors operate from under 0.05v to about 1.200v. Many computers start to get fussy if you enhance it over 1.0v

You must also understand that there is a lot more to the rich/lean equation than just the 02 sensor. The AIT, MAP/MAF, ECT TPS, RPMs, Knock sensor, Speed, gear selected and engine load (to name some common ones). You can run lean or rich at most any 02 voltage.

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
07-22-2008 08:02 AM
Atfab Offline

Dale, I forget the chemicals used but it is a thermo-chemical reaction that generates a voltage based on the 02 in the exhaust, the temp and outside 02.

A google search will get you more than you want to know about it.

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
07-22-2008 08:10 AM