Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adjusting EFIE
NoMoGas Offline

Adjusting EFIE
Just to clarify, the initial settings that are recommended (200-250mv) are taken with the engine off but the key on (with power to the efie). I was trying to get a reading with the red in red and black in black with the engine running and was getting like -1.5 and -1.2 fluctuating back and forth. When I do further adjustments, I assume I have the engine off and power to efie and do adjustments a little at a time. I am new and just trying to figure all of this out. Thanks for any help.
08-16-2008 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marty1979 Offline

RE: Adjusting EFIE
The engine has to be running and it needs to be warm, about 10 min's of idleing should be ok.
08-16-2008 11:15 PM
NoMoGas Offline

Marty1979 Wrote:The engine has to be running and it needs to be warm, about 10 min's of idleing should be ok.
If I am only measuring the voltage the efie is adding, what does the engine running or warming up have to do with it?
08-17-2008 04:30 AM
barbu11 Offline

NoMoGas Wrote:
Marty1979 Wrote:The engine has to be running and it needs to be warm, about 10 min's of idleing should be ok.
If I am only measuring the voltage the efie is adding, what does the engine running or warming up have to do with it?

When y start the car ECU it is in the Loop, after 10min will accept
data(?mv) from O2 who is ready(very hot) to analize mixture.

Hope that helps.
08-17-2008 09:07 AM
colchiro Offline

NoMoGas, please verify your meter is set to 2 VDC and your red probe is in the red jack and black probe in your black jack on your meter when you take your readings.

It's not normal to have a negative number and that offset voltage is abnormal as well.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-17-2008 02:12 PM
NoMoGas Offline

Sorry, I am not too good at the electronics, I had a mechanic friend install my map sensor enhancer, and efie. He is 99% sure it is installed correctly, but I can't get the readings I should be getting. I bought a digital multimeter that measures Hz Duty, V ac/dc, Ohms, mA ac/dc. I have it set on V ac/dc and it has a select button that goes to Auto DC. When I turn the key on, but not start the engine with red in red and black in black I get 250 mv and I can turn the screw on the efie to change that number. Once I start the car I get numbers that jump around, but seem to be -1.5 v and jumping to
-1.2 v, and turning the adjustment on the efie does nothing. These numbers are not exact, it may be -1.532 then go to
-1.264, but is always (-) and is always about 1.5 and 1.2. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I drove the car for about 20 minutes and still got these same numbers.
08-17-2008 05:53 PM
colchiro Offline

Make and year of your vehicle?

Can you measure your o2 voltage? Black meter wire to ground and red to black efie connection?

With engine running, it should be a rapidly changing voltage somewhere around the middle of .1v to 1 volts DC.

Sounds like it works until you start you engine so either not an o2 sensor or wired to wrong wire.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
08-17-2008 06:30 PM
NoMoGas Offline

colchiro Wrote:Make and year of your vehicle?

Can you measure your o2 voltage? Black meter wire to ground and red to black efie connection?

With engine running, it should be a rapidly changing voltage somewhere around the middle of .1v to 1 volts DC.

Sounds like it works until you start you engine so either not an o2 sensor or wired to wrong wire.
1997 Honda Civic. I purchased a wiring diagram online, but was not much help, since the wire colors on paper did not match to what was in the car. I found O2 wire according to your instructions and wired in engine compartment and ran into efie. When I put red probe on meter to black jack on efie and black probe on meter to ground I get numbers all over the place. They range from 2 to 9 v (not mv) and change very fast. It is a digital meter, and sporadically OL will pop up between all of the number readings. I have my power to efie, map sensor enhancer, and HHO cells on one power line to the fuse box. I wouldn't think this would cause the problems I am seeing, but thought I would mention it. I also have the efie and map enhancer on the same ground going to the battery. Like I said, we think we are on right wire, but with these numbers, what do you think?
08-18-2008 03:07 AM
NoMoGas Offline

NoMoGas Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:Make and year of your vehicle?

1997 Honda Civic. I purchased a wiring diagram online, but was not much help, since the wire colors on paper did not match to what was in the car. I found O2 wire according to your instructions and wired in engine compartment and ran into efie. When I put red probe on meter to black jack on efie and black probe on meter to ground I get numbers all over the place. They range from 2 to 9 v (not mv) and change very fast. It is a digital meter, and sporadically OL will pop up between all of the number readings. I have my power to efie, map sensor enhancer, and HHO cells on one power line to the fuse box. I wouldn't think this would cause the problems I am seeing, but thought I would mention it. I also have the efie and map enhancer on the same ground going to the battery. Like I said, we think we are on right wire, but with these numbers, what do you think?
I also have a scanguage and can tell when in closed loop. Would a bad O2 sensor give readings like this, or do you still think this is hooked up wrong?
08-18-2008 02:05 PM
colchiro Offline

Not a good idea to connect both power and ground to a high current device. We've seen unstable (fluctuating) efie voltage readings due to that. Can you at the least, separate the hho cell ground from the other wires?

The best way to control your cell is to run the current for the cell directly from the battery, but control it through a relay switched from your present control circuit.

+12 --- fuse/breaker --- relay --- cell --- ground

The relay could be controlled like this (simplified):
+12 (only when ignition on) --- switch --- relay coil --- ground

I would think a 97 Honda would be narrow band, although Toyota started using air fuel sensors in California about then. If your o2 had failed I would think you'd be in open loop. Generally the readings get slower as the sensor ages.

You might try a 20 volt setting on your meter to make it easier to read, especially when you get over-range. We're only interested in tenths of a volt, not thousands.

Out of curiosity, what do you get for the same reading with your hho turned off? Can you turn off the other devices on that same circuit?

Rick

08-18-2008 03:12 PM