Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Air Filter Blocking (try to fool MAF Censor)
arctodus Offline
HHOPassion

Air Filter Blocking (try to fool MAF Censor)
Hello

I made some changes today to the cell in my 1993 Ford Temp 4-cyclinder. I got the idea on the web and sounded good so thought I would try it. It turned out with no gain in MPG from what I was already getting 40 mpg highway and 30 city. Below you will see pictures of what I did. 1.Covered 1/2 of the air intake filter 2. Pushed the HHO outlet tube further in about 3 inches past the MAF sensor. One thing for sure is that blocking the air filter housing 1/2 off had no change in the MPG.And if that is the case then I will try and block about 3/4 of it off and see if that offers better MPG. The reasoning for this is to see if it would fool the MAF sensor thinking it was getting less air thus cutting back on the gas metered at the fuel injector pump. Sounds like it would work but will have to do more testing. I filled the tank and stopped at 1st auto click before I started the 64-mile trip.I will try and keep everyone notified as to the results.

1st Test Results-----------------------------------------

1.1993 Ford Tempo 4-cyclinder
2.2 cells in PVC horizontial postion
3.1 lpm was getting 1.7 total on both cells, don't know why it dropped on this trip.
4.drove 60 to 65 mph
5.64 miles driven
6.1.687 total gallons after this trip. Stopped 1st auto click. I am not good at math so if you figure different than I have, please let me know.
7.38 mpg for this trip.
8.25 amps
9.50% blocked air filter

2nd Test Results----------------------------------------

1.1993 Ford Tempo 4-cyclinder
2.2 cells in PVC horizontial postion
3.1.7 lpm
4.drove 60 to 65 mph
5.64.8 miles driven
6.2.015 total gallons after this trip. Stopped 1st auto click
7.30 mpg for this trip
8.30 amps
9.80% blocked air filter

I just got back from a 64.8-mile trip for the 2nd test run with the air filter blocked at 80%. Lost 8 mpg on this trip. It was a pretty windy day but sure that was not all that caused the drop in MPG. I just took of all the blocking and will not be testing anymore on blocking air intake so as try and fool the MAF sensor. This test is complete, does not work for me. Looks like I will be looking at EFIE electronic control device. Was hoping that I could get the MPG up to about 45-mpg without the bother of electronic devises. Not given up yet. I am satisfied with 30-mpg city and 40 mpg highway with this car. Just retired and need something to do, HHO is so much fun to work with. Big Grin

[Image: hho%20cell1.jpg]

1.[Image: DSC01984.JPG]----------2.[Image: DSC01985.JPG]

3.[Image: DSC01986.JPG]----------4.[Image: DSC01987.JPG]

5.[Image: DSC01992.JPG]----------6.[Image: DSC01993.JPG]Wink
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2008 01:56 PM by arctodus.)
10-20-2008 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghahai ghato Offline

RE: Air Filter Blocking (try to fool MAF Censor)
Good.... keep on trying, whatever it takes...
Check out similar efforts here http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2114
10-20-2008 09:58 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

what does the blue tape around the plates do?
10-25-2008 08:46 AM
BillFoote Offline

Keeps stray electric current from migrating across plates thru the electolyte causing an increase in current with no increase in gas production. Smack's new design calls for using high dielectric heat shrink arounf the plates. I used self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape when I was using wet cells. Dry cells eliminate the electrical migration across the plates.
10-27-2008 11:51 PM
howiemandel Offline

Arty have you tried vacuum hook up? Should work for ya well from what I can see with your pictures. Obviously you'll need better "gas" line, as in vacuum what your using would suck up and close on itself. As im sure aware, loewes and depot both carry the "hard" plastic hose @ around 20 or 30 cents a foot. Works great for vacuum setups.
10-28-2008 03:31 AM
Delray Dude Offline

arctodus Wrote:The reasoning for this is to see if it would fool the MAF sensor thinking it was getting less air thus cutting back on the gas metered at the fuel injector pump.

I would recommend not doing this. blocking the air inlet on the MAF wont help in fact it might make it worse - my thinking is that the engine still wants to suck it's normal air requirement. Reducing the opening at the MAF will cause the air to flow faster at that point (much like a venturi in a carb) and the MAF will report to the computer that more air is flowing through it than what it actually is and calibrated for. The way the MAF works is that it heats a wire and the air flowing past it cools it. The hotter the wire the less air flow through to the engine - the cooler the wire more air. You might be increasing the air speed in the MAF and it'll cool the wire and the computer sees more air for a given setting it'll add more fuel to the mix.

EFIE is defintely the better way to adjust the computer mix especially in the OBD-1 Fords - I tried the adjustment in the MAF wire, and it doesn't help much. The Ford computer will adjust best from the o2 signal, as it seems to be mostly depending upon it.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2008 07:44 AM by Delray Dude.)
10-28-2008 07:42 AM
Atfab Offline

Hey people,
look at this thread.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2114

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
10-28-2008 12:41 PM
cchongk Offline

I 2nd Delray Dude's opinion. For one, manufacturer's always recommend keeping your air filter clean for better fuel economy. This is also backed up by sound engineering principles of keeping the "losses" in any system to a minimum to achieve overall system efficiency (& power). This is why there's such a huge aftermarket for intake headers & high efficiency exhaust systems. At the very least said hoped gains will be neutralized by losses of constrictions.

Back on the subject of your initial goal though, if you want the ECU to think there's less airflow, you need to change the resistance reading of the sensor signal itself, ideally (by, you guessed it, resistors!). Another way would be make some kind of barrier that partially constricts airflow JUST to the sensor itself. MAF sensors don't really measure airflow, they measure temperature change of a heated element which is ASSUMED to be air motion. The ECU then takes the mV reading from the sensor and applies it to it's algorithm for A/F mixing.

However, as stated in previous posts in other threads, if you're using any diagnostic tool such as scangauge to read realtime mpg, all of your data will be wrong since it's the MAF sensor reading which is used to calculate theoretical mpg.

Chris

Delray Dude Wrote:
arctodus Wrote:The reasoning for this is to see if it would fool the MAF sensor thinking it was getting less air thus cutting back on the gas metered at the fuel injector pump.

I would recommend not doing this. blocking the air inlet on the MAF wont help in fact it might make it worse - my thinking is that the engine still wants to suck it's normal air requirement. Reducing the opening at the MAF will cause the air to flow faster at that point (much like a venturi in a carb) and the MAF will report to the computer that more air is flowing through it than what it actually is and calibrated for. The way the MAF works is that it heats a wire and the air flowing past it cools it. The hotter the wire the less air flow through to the engine - the cooler the wire more air. You might be increasing the air speed in the MAF and it'll cool the wire and the computer sees more air for a given setting it'll add more fuel to the mix.

EFIE is defintely the better way to adjust the computer mix especially in the OBD-1 Fords - I tried the adjustment in the MAF wire, and it doesn't help much. The Ford computer will adjust best from the o2 signal, as it seems to be mostly depending upon it.
10-31-2008 11:42 AM
colchiro Offline

cchongk Wrote:However, as stated in previous posts in other threads, if you're using any diagnostic tool such as scangauge to read realtime mpg, all of your data will be wrong since it's the MAF sensor reading which is used to calculate theoretical mpg.

Chris

Partially true. The next time you fill up, your Scangauge should be accurate again, until you change the setting. If you can set it and leave it, your SG should be reasonably accurate. OTOH, with a swinging door type or other variable change, I doubt you could ever trust the SG's reading.

I see no reason to mess with air intake or manipulate the air flow to the sensor, if you can alter the sensor's output with a pot or other means.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-31-2008 12:22 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

BillFoote Wrote:Keeps stray electric current from migrating across plates thru the electolyte causing an increase in current with no increase in gas production. Smack's new design calls for using high dielectric heat shrink arounf the plates. I used self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape when I was using wet cells. Dry cells eliminate the electrical migration across the plates.

That really works noticeably?
Wouldn't any stray current just continue to split the H2O to the extent of its reach?
10-31-2008 03:46 PM