Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Almost Ready
5buckeye5 Offline

Almost Ready
I've been reading this forum for about three weeks now and building a cell on my bench. It will go in a 92 Olds 88 3.8 liter. What I have is a 4 plate system +n ( Nylon spacer nut .25 in thick ) n -. ( These are ss wall plates from Menards ). It is putting out 375ML. a minute. The problem I am having is heat. It is pulling between 15 & 20 Amps. And after 30 minutes it is about to hot to hold onto the jar (don't have a way to get a good temperature reading on it yet ). So I figured I would ask you guys that were having some success with this if I need to add more plates or change the configuration or what. Running 3/4 tsp. sodium hydroxide to about 30 ounces of reverse osmosis water in a quart mason jar with a plastic lid. As it heats up I do have to retighten the lid to keep it sealed. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks Tim
07-21-2008 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Almost Ready
Ssshhh.... don't tell anyone, it's a secret... Read every thread you find here with "Series Cell" in the titles.Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-21-2008 04:33 PM
hydrodine Offline

Its the cell design, works great for boiling water, you need neutral plates in there.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2008 02:42 PM by hydrodine.)
07-21-2008 05:46 PM
colchiro Offline

... or drop out a neutral, and build 2 more and connect them in series.... 4 volts on each one.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-21-2008 05:58 PM
5buckeye5 Offline

I need to know how to drop the heat just a little so I can do some in car testing. I figure this will be an ongoing process and learning curve. Would like to test in car so I can see how it reacts to HHO. I know I'll probably Try different types of cells as I go.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2008 06:15 PM by 5buckeye5.)
07-21-2008 06:14 PM
stevekos7 Offline

5buckeye5 Wrote:I need to know how to drop the heat just a little so I can do some in car testing. I figure this will be an ongoing process and learning curve. Would like to test in car so I can see how it reacts to HHO. I know I'll probably Try different types of cells as I go.

Visit:
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...99#pid9099
and http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...15#pid9115

Answers some questions.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2008 03:44 AM by stevekos7.)
07-22-2008 03:41 AM
5buckeye5 Offline

well I put my cell in my car tonight. I made a few changes, added 2 more neutrals (+nnnn- ). Cut the sodium hydroxide to 1/2 tsp. to 30 ozs. of water (reverse osmosis ). Still putting out 375ml. with a little less heat. So I'll give it a couple of days and check it out. Will get back with my results.

Tim
07-23-2008 05:50 PM
stevekos7 Offline

5buckeye5 Wrote:well I put my cell in my car tonight. I made a few changes, added 2 more neutrals (+nnnn- ). Cut the sodium hydroxide to 1/2 tsp. to 30 ozs. of water (reverse osmosis ). Still putting out 375ml. with a little less heat. So I'll give it a couple of days and check it out. Will get back with my results.

Tim

What's the amperage draw. An ammeter is an essential piece of kit for experimenting with HHO generators.

I would firstly add another one or two n plates. This will divide your 12-14v between 6-7 gaps making around 2v per gap, which will allow maximum current for gas production rather than being wasted in heat. Then make sure that the cell is sealed so that the current flows through the n plates and cannot get around easily. (Leave a tiny gap or holes just big enough to allow fluid flow to each space in the cell.)

With an ammeter, check the current. You will get better production the higher the amps, but you don't want your cell to get too hot or to draw any more than 20amps. You regulate this by varying the concentration of electrolyte.

This would be a good start.
07-23-2008 07:43 PM
5buckeye5 Offline

Results so far, My original baseline mileage 26.5 - 28.1 . Mostly open road miles. Put 128.6 miles on and got 24.5. But that was with alot of idling while showing it to people. Second test was 116.4 miles and got 24.05 (going backwards ) , But this was taking my wife shopping and had a lot of weight in the vehicle and a lot of in town driving. Amps were under 10 and little gas production. Had 1/2 tsp. sodium hydroxide to 30 ozs. of reverse osmosis water. Increased the lye to 3/4 tsp. and brought the amps up to just over ten amps cold. Production increased some. So I'll see what it is after a couple of days of normal routine driving back and forth to work brings.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2008 08:46 AM by 5buckeye5.)
07-27-2008 08:45 AM
hydrodine Offline

5buckeye5 Wrote:Results so far, My original baseline mileage 26.5 - 28.1 . Mostly open road miles. Put 128.6 miles on and got 24.5. But that was with alot of idling while showing it to people. Second test was 116.4 miles and got 24.05 (going backwards ) , But this was taking my wife shopping and had a lot of weight in the vehicle and a lot of in town driving. Amps were under 10 and little gas production. Had 1/2 tsp. sodium hydroxide to 30 ozs. of reverse osmosis water. Increased the lye to 3/4 tsp. and brought the amps up to just over ten amps cold. Production increased some. So I'll see what it is after a couple of days of normal routine driving back and forth to work brings.

Do you have an efi? If not you may need one. That is one of the adverse affects of hho in a modern vehicle.
07-27-2008 02:35 PM