Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alternator Size
sickleave Offline

Alternator Size
If you are installing a large Hydrogen Generator or more than 1 how many amps can a normal 100 amp alternator pull all the time.
What percentage are alternators designed to pull on a constant load.
Example can a 100 amp alternator pull 40 amps all the time with out over heating even in hot Weather. I would think you could pull the most
on the hiway at the higher speeds, with air flowing through. I suppose if you could supply Alternator with cool air (not through radiator) it would be better. Trying to figure out how much load you could put on alternator in way of Hydrogen generator. Any one have a feel for the
load range. Wondering if I need to go to a larger alternator or not.
SICK LEAVE, Bob
03-05-2009 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Alternator Size
Unless you're driving a full-size truck (or larger) with a V8, an efficient cell should be able to produce all the hho you need for well under 20 amps. If you're thinking you need 40+, I'd recommend researching your cell design a bit more.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-05-2009 07:23 PM
Gary Offline

And you don't want to pull more than 80% of the alternator capacity. That includes stereo amps and lights along with the HHO generator. You'll likely burn up your alternator.
03-06-2009 06:20 AM
sickleave Offline

I plan on going big and just dialing in what I need for Max Milage.
Also with larger units I can still get what I need for Max mileage in Winter when I have to use Antifreeze. Larger units will also run cooler
if run at less amps. I see no down side to going larger than I need and
holding down amps. Only problem could be Alternator but if it goes I can get a larger heavy duty unit. They make a heavy duty 135 Amp unit. They also make a 200 and even a larger unit. I did not realize car Alternator could not be run a heavy loads for a long time till I researched it. I have been told that a true Boat Alternator is differant.
I have I believe 65 or 66 amp alternators on my marine 318 engines.
I have been told that a true marine alternator will run at full load all the time. I am not talking about a converted auto to marine alternator.
SICK LEAVE, Bob
03-08-2009 05:40 AM