Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ammeter Hook-up
visek Offline

RE: Ammeter Hook-up
bowrabob Wrote:I ordered an ammeter for my new cell but I think I might have got the wrong unit, it is DC, is this ok or should it be AC. My vehicle has an alternator. I'm not really up on electronics.

DC is what you want...maybe in the 30 amp range.
07-20-2008 12:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bowrabob Offline

visek Wrote:
bowrabob Wrote:I ordered an ammeter for my new cell but I think I might have got the wrong unit, it is DC, is this ok or should it be AC. My vehicle has an alternator. I'm not really up on electronics.

DC is what you want...maybe in the 30 amp range.
Thanx for that visek. The meter I ordered is a 20 amp, this should be ok as the cell I bought runs at 5 1/2 to 6 amps, it's a 316 wire coil type cell. I have a friend that has the same cell and he has been getting positive results, he says he has more power and a very noticable increase in mpg, although he hasn't done any final calcs. Can't wait to get mine operational.

Bob
07-20-2008 01:19 AM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

My ammeter is on its way! I'm excited to get it...next week. But hey, at least I won't have to worry about hooking it up all the time, now it's right there on my dash!

Bowr- You got the right ammeter. The alternator makes AC currect, but then converts it to DC current when it sends it to the battery and other components. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not 110% up with electronics either :P .

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
07-20-2008 06:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

You'd want a DC ammeter. Your power is coming from the battery, which is DC.

RDK, which one did you order?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-20-2008 03:24 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

I just ordered a 50A 12V (had to specify) from the Asia Supplier link on ebay that you gave. Mine's blue LED Big Grin .

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-21-2008 10:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RDK, let me know how you like it. I'll be ordering one soon.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-22-2008 03:24 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Yeah, no problem! I like the big screen, makes it readable from a distance (or on my dash). I can't wait to get it....next week...!!

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-22-2008 09:07 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Alright, so I just hooked it up and everything, but I think there's a problem... The ammeter when I hook it up only shows "1 . " I think that means there's too much amperage going through, but I'm not sure. A little before I tried a connection, it said "-3.3" but now all I get when it's on is the "1 . " Here's a pic:

[Image: 0730082223.jpg]

What does that mean, or what do I do? These are REALLY small wires going to the ammeter that it came with.

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-30-2008 09:31 PM
bowrabob Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:My ammeter is on its way! I'm excited to get it...next week. But hey, at least I won't have to worry about hooking it up all the time, now it's right there on my dash!

Bowr- You got the right ammeter. The alternator makes AC currect, but then converts it to DC current when it sends it to the battery and other components. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not 110% up with electronics either :P .

Thanx RDK, I done some research and discovered exactly what you said. I had ordered one from Dick Smiths (aussie electronics company) $31.49 delivered but they stuffed the order up so I bought another on ebay, same ammeter but less than half the price, $14.00 delivered.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2008 11:42 PM by bowrabob.)
07-30-2008 11:37 PM
bowrabob Offline

RDKamikaze Wrote:My ammeter is on its way! I'm excited to get it...next week. But hey, at least I won't have to worry about hooking it up all the time, now it's right there on my dash!

Thanx RDK, I done some research and dicovered exactly what you said.
07-30-2008 11:48 PM