Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another Forum...First Post here for me
rudagray Offline
Collaboration is the Key to Success!

Another Forum...First Post here for me
been lurking for a few days here, and also found this forum I just posted at - http://www.gasstinks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135

Wanted to introduce myself as an Engineer with a friend that has automobile mechanic background and is now an Engineer as well- together we are planning to modify our vehicles in the next month...

I'd also like to thank a co-worker of mine (non-engineer) for steering me in this direction and starting my research. He drives a Sentra and owns a Prius, but exclusively driving true city driving...tons of lights and stop and go.

I have a 2006 Corolla and it is driven almost exclusively for commuting-maybe 30 miles at most on the weekends driving local.

For the past 3 months(summer gas) I have been hypermiling. My commute is 28 miles ~3miles local(25-40speedlimit), then 5.5 miles semi-highway(lights&50mph), 18 true highway(there are delays and backups occasionally 55/65mph- usually cruise at 70 or so in the left lane), and 1.5 miles city (5 traffic lights 25mph). Roundtrip 56 miles of which I can coast for a ~1 mile, 1 mile and 2 mile stretch coming in, and ~1,1,1 returning, but I also have to climb those same hills...but basically 1/8th of my commute is with the engine idling at 800-1000 and traveling at high speed or crusing to a light, etc.

I get from 30-32 in the winter months and before hypermiling got 32-34 in the summer, I check my mileage and fill my tank only when it is below 1/4 full(or just before holiday weekend increases)...I am now getting 34-36mpg averages.

My last tank full was 391miles/11.17gallons($43total$3.849/gallon)= 35.0mpg

My goal is only to get 33%/12mpg improvement to save ~$10/week at current $4/gallon prices.

I started a thread there and may try here as well, but a little different as it seems we have a larger audience here.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2008 07:23 AM by rudagray.)
07-17-2008 07:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dino Offline

RE: Another Forum...First Post here for me
Are you going to take it to the next step with HHO?
07-19-2008 06:29 AM
rudagray Offline
Collaboration is the Key to Success!

Dino Wrote:Are you going to take it to the next step with HHO?

Yes- hope to install something next week...
starting small with low volume HHO generator and then extend Oxygen sensor, then mess with MAF as I increase the HHO.

1 step at a time unless someone with a Corolla has already walked where I am headed and could advise?
07-22-2008 09:23 PM
stevekos7 Offline

rudagray Wrote:
Dino Wrote:Are you going to take it to the next step with HHO?

Yes- hope to install something next week...
starting small with low volume HHO generator and then extend Oxygen sensor, then mess with MAF as I increase the HHO.

1 step at a time unless someone with a Corolla has already walked where I am headed and could advise?

Actually I would try to design a generator with the highest output possible and tune it down rather than have to rebuild it to go to higher output. Not much difference in cost or time if you build it right first time. (Although from my experience that's not as easy as it sounds either!)
07-23-2008 01:19 AM
Walt Offline

Rud,

I would not mess with the O2 sensor extenders until you get a baseline without them. WHen I installed HHO I got some good results right off the get go. When I started messing with the extenders and such is when I started throwing CEL.

I also agree that you should go for more HHO and not less. One frustration many have with poor results is that they use poor producing generators. Some kits produce only .1 lpm LOL!!! Shoot for at least .5 lpm. If you produce .5 lpm (and deliver it to the engine) and throw the CEL or do not get substantial gains then start monkeying around with the computer. Don't expect a miracle out of O2 extenders.
07-23-2008 06:10 AM