Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another newbie
big-daddy Offline

Another newbie
Hi all.... I have read the general instructions about tuning and I have a question. The model truck is a 2007 ford F150 with a V8 5.4. Reading the instruction on the MAF section, my question is do I just need to install a resistor or do I use a pot?
05-27-2008 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Another newbie
The pot is a resistor, that is adjustable. Using the pot is easier since you can make changes and test to find the best resistance for your engine.

You just have to make sure that your MAF is the correct kind for a pot. The other kind is treated by using an adjustable voltage to the 5 volt power wire. The article tells you how to determine which type you have.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-27-2008 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
big-daddy Offline

mike Wrote:The pot is a resistor, that is adjustable. Using the pot is easier since you can make changes and test to find the best resistance for your engine.

You just have to make sure that your MAF is the correct kind for a pot. The other kind is treated by using an adjustable voltage to the 5 volt power wire. The article tells you how to determine which type you have.

Thank Mike for the information. I have another question, I cut the GROUND wire and not the signal wire from the MAF. Is that correct?
05-28-2008 03:08 AM
mike Offline

Go back and re-read that section of Tuning For Mileage. It was carefully written to explain the procedure. I won't try to re-explain it here.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-28-2008 03:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
big-daddy Offline

Mike, I’m totally confused in which wire I need to cut now. I have a 2007 ford 5.4 with a MAF as I read the intrustions again to try to under stand the system. Do I build a pot to add resistance to the Maf and cut the ground wire? Because on the map sensor it ask to cut the signal wire and install the pot.

Most of the modern MAF sensors have a ground, battery voltage input, and frequency based output. These aren’t that difficult to tune. I’ve seen complicated and expensive products that aren’t much better than this trick. Just like the frequency based MAP sensors, cut the ground wire and install a small amount of resistance. Again, no more than 30 ohms, with averages in the 10 to 15 ohm range.

Thank again for your help
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2008 12:32 PM by big-daddy.)
05-28-2008 12:32 PM
big-daddy Offline

Looking at the wiring diagram looks like my MAF sensor has two sensor wires going into the ECU 41 and 42?
.pdf  scan0001.pdf (Size: 455.61 KB / Downloads: 47)
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2008 07:18 AM by big-daddy.)
05-29-2008 07:16 AM
Glennjr Offline

Big Daddy,
I'll bet due to the fact that is a flex fuel vehicle, depending on what fuel is in it the ECM needs to have different signals to adjust for whatever fuel is in it. One probably goes to the section of the ECM for Ethanol and the other is for Gasoline. Which is which, dunno but hat would be my guess, but again with Ford you never know. Might want to check with Herron Performance, he may know.
Glenn Jr.
05-29-2008 07:53 AM
big-daddy Offline

I think it has a signal in #3 and a signal return #4 looking at the plug wiring.

Glenn........Thanks again for the wiring diagram

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2008 08:09 AM by big-daddy.)
05-29-2008 08:06 AM
Glennjr Offline

Probably reference voltage ?? The 12V is probably for the heater because I see the 12V in that plug also feeds the O2 heaters. Like I said with Ford you never know. They also guard their "proprietary" information like it is a national secret.
05-29-2008 08:21 AM
big-daddy Offline

Please correct me if I'm wrong....... VREF wire #3 sending a 5 volt signal to MAF sensor and it feeds back thru #4 wire back to the ECU. So I would cut the #3 wire and add the pot to cut back the voltage which bring down the voltage going to the ecu.
05-29-2008 08:57 AM