Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any voltage over 100mv setting code
hygear Offline

Any voltage over 100mv setting code
I have the vehicle and motor as Stlhemi but unlike him I'm having issues trying to adjust over 100mv without setting code (P2097 PCM).I thought it was just because I needed a second efie for the post cats the same as Stlhemi.But after installing the second efie for the post cats I tried to start at 100mv as suggested by Stlhemi.but just like as before the second efie installation after about 30 min. drive time I set the same P2097 code.

My precat o2s were just replaced less than 10k miles ago and I have verified ALL wiring to be 100% correct(triple checked).Yesterday after exchanging several pms with Mike I tried to see if maybe one the new precat o2s went bad or a wiring fault somewhere by setting only the drivers side precat at 105 mv and the other at around 90mv and then after again setting code tried the same thing on the passengerside.In both cases I still set the same code.During this test I had the postcat voltage set around 90mv.

At this point I'm totally stumped as to what the problem could be.I verified the signal wire by both checking voltage and a wiring diagram confirming I had correctly installed both pre and post cat efies.

I'll entertain any suggestings at this point to try and see if the problem can be narrowed down.What really has me wondering is why the code sets after driving for 30 min or 32 miles which ever comes first.The only thing I haven't tried is swiching the efies to see if the one on the precats is malfuctioning.

Any help would be greatly appreicated

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
12-11-2008 05:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Any voltage over 100mv setting code
I assume your 100 mv is after the efie has warmed up? Is this the pre-cat efie?

P2097-DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 1/2 RICH... Sound right?

What exactly triggers this?
Efie on pre, no efie on post?
Efie on pre and efie on post?

Do you also get this error on Bank 2 (DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 2/2 RICH)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-11-2008 02:16 PM
stl_hemi Offline

Rick that's the right code. P2097

Hmmmmm.............for what ever reason the 2/2 never set's the rich code. Lazy rear o2's?

Russell did you email Bruce for the pin info yet on the 05? Their's a possibility they made a change from 04 to 05. I doubt it but it's possible.
What about the CAT it's self. Could it be shot?

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-11-2008 03:07 PM
hygear Offline

Rick,I first got this code after installing the first efie for the pre cats when I tried to adjust over 100mv,but when I looked up the code on only one site it only defined it as a pcm code with no explained reason.After reading your last post I tried another site that defined it the same as you did downstream fuel system 1/2 rich.

Does this mean I need to apply higher voltage to the post cat efie than to the pre cat efie to correct the problem I'm having? And do think I should replace the post cat sensors they do have 119k miles on them,and it probably couldn't hurt to replace them.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 03:34 PM by hygear.)
12-11-2008 03:13 PM
hygear Offline

stl_hemi Wrote:Rick that's the right code. P2097

Hmmmmm.............for what ever reason the 2/2 never set's the rich code. Lazy rear o2's?

Russell did you email Bruce for the pin info yet on the 05? Their's a possibility they made a change from 04 to 05. I doubt it but it's possible.

Having a lazy post cat is possible,but last night when we talked about your lazy post cat didn't you say it wasn't causing any problems setting codes?

I didn't say anthing to Bruce in my pm to him regarding pin info,I only described the problem I was having trying to adjust the voltage over 100mv.Today I had one of my customers that owns a large automotive repair shop fax me over a wire diagram showing wire color identifications for both pre and post cats that I again verified to be the correct wires I used to install both pre and post cat efies

12-11-2008 03:23 PM
colchiro Offline

My guess is that 2/2 means bank 2, sensor 2. Bank means left/right and I think bank 1 is the side with cylinder 1. Of course this means the rear sensor is setting the code.

I found this:
P2097-DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 1/2 RICH
When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery
temperature above (-7°C)20°F and altitude below 8500 ft.
Set Condition: If the PCM adds downstream short term compensation to long term
adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the
MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO
EXHAUST LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
O2 SENSOR
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL CONTAMINATION

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-11-2008 03:30 PM
colchiro Offline

hygear Wrote:Rick,I first got this code after installing the first efie for the pre cats when I tried to adjust over 100mv,but when I looked up the code on only one site it only defined it as a pcm code with no explained reason.After reading your last post I tried another site that defined it the same as you did downstream fuel system 1/2 rich.

Does this mean I need to apply higher voltage to the post cat efie than to the pre cat efie to correct the problem I'm having? And do think I should replace the post cat sensors they do have 119k miles on them,and it probably couldn't hurt to replace them.

When you connect an efie to the front o2 and it reports the mix is rich, the ecu goes leaner to compensate.

When you connect an efie to the rear o2 and it reports the mix rich one of two things happens.

1. the ecu will use that input to go leaner (late model Dodge, Jeep, etc)
2. the ecu will read it as rich and throw a code (vehicles not in that list)

Did you connect that first efie at the ecu or at the sensor? Is it possible you connected the first efie to the post cat o2's?

Gotta run... Christmas party.Cool

Rick

12-11-2008 03:40 PM
hygear Offline

colchiro Wrote:My guess is that 2/2 means bank 2, sensor 2. Bank means left/right and I think bank 1 is the side with cylinder 1. Of course this means the rear sensor is setting the code.

I found this:
P2097-DOWN STREAM FUEL SYSTEM 1/2 RICH
When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery
temperature above (-7°C)20°F and altitude below 8500 ft.
Set Condition: If the PCM adds downstream short term compensation to long term
adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the
MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO
EXHAUST LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
O2 SENSOR
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL CONTAMINATION

Rick where would you start looking first?

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 05:05 PM by hygear.)
12-11-2008 03:43 PM
stl_hemi Offline

hygear Wrote:
stl_hemi Wrote:Rick that's the right code. P2097

Having a lazy post cat is possible,but last night when we talked about your lazy post cat didn't you say it wasn't causing any problems setting codes?

I didn't say anthing to Bruce in my pm to him regarding pin info,I only described the problem I was having trying to adjust the voltage over 100mv.Today I had one of my customers that owns a large automotive repair shop fax me over a wire diagram showing wire color identifications for both pre and post cats that I again verified to be the correct wires I used to install both pre and post cat efies

My bad...... Sad

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-11-2008 03:48 PM
hygear Offline

Bruce just sent a pm with some helpful info to research the problem,I think the problem can be narrowed down using this info and along with info that Colchiro provided.(I hope LOL).Here's what Bruce added to help with isolating the possible cause of my problem:

Hi Russell,
I looked up the P2097 trouble code which is "Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich" on your left downstream sensor only. The fact that you are not getting a P2099 code (same problem but on the right side) means that it is something unique to that left downsream sensor only.

Here are the possible causes.

Exhaust leak
Engine mechanical
1/2 O2 sensor
(K141) O2 sensor 1/2 signal circuit
(K299) O2 heater 1/2 control circuit
(K904) O2 return downstream circuit
Fuel contamination

I would focus on an exhaust leak on that side and the sensor itelf, it may need replacing. If it were Engine mechanical or Fuel contamination I would think the other sensors would be throwing codes as well.

Check the vehicle repair history. If the 1/2 O2 has been replaced make sure that the O2 sensor was properly installed and meets OEM specification.
Check for contaminants that may have damaged the O2 Sensor contaminated fuel, unapproved silicone, oil and coolant.

12-11-2008 05:14 PM